Eating out

Options
2»

Replies

• juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I never use eating out as a treat! Eating out shouldn't be something you have to "earn". It has to be part of your normal LIFESTYLE.... this isn't a diet!!

Never order salad with dressing- either get it on the side then dip your fork into it, or better yet- ask for salsa as your dressing!

Chicken breast: grilled!!
    Fish: grilled!!

Ask for the veggie of the day instead of rice or potatoes.

Ask the server to NOT leave bread, chips, etc on your table.

A lot of restaurants list the calories (Noodles and Company for example) or most have Nutritional Guides if you ask, to make a better decision.

I've even been known to take in my OWN dressing in an inconspicuous container for salad, and my own bottle of "I can't believe it's not butter" spray for my baked potato at Texas Roadhouse :)

But lately, I've been enjoying the baked potato plain, just add some salt and pepper and I'm good to go. I dip my fork in salad dressing (I used to have a little salad with my dressing; now I use next to none).

I like the shrimp with the Med Salad at Noodles and Company... the Fruit n Chicken salad at Chick Fil A... the 6 oz steak, baked potato, salad at Texas Roadhouse... Egg White English Muffin with lots of veggies at Subway... at Mexican restaurants I'll order a salad with either shrimp or grilled fish and I'll ask for black beans on it, with salsa as the dressing.

Name a restaurant, I can tell you what to order. LOL...
  • Kellbellftw
    Kellbellftw Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    When we go out to eat, I like to go to places that have the calories and nutrition facts right on the menu. Ruby Tuesday's is a chain that's close to me that has that. If not I'm going to a place that has nutrition facts there then I'll usually get 'kids' portions, sticking to salads, chicken and seafood, and nothing but grilled or steamed veggies. No potatoes or fried anything. Always with water to drink!
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    okay thank you everyone great advice...i hate when im craving pizza but going to go for the salad lol

Passing up pizza isn't living! We eat pizza once a week! I know what day we're having it (usually Thursdays, but for whatever reason we didn't have it tonight) and plan your day accordingly. And two slices will actually suffice :)
  • Jess21684
    Jess21684 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    eating out can be tough and tempting but there are most ALWAYS healthier options you can choose to stick to to still keep your calories in moderation! I always choose grilled, baked or broiled anything, never fried foods! Grilled chicken or broiled fish are my usual orders I go to and I always substitue a side salad or vegetable for my side, hardly ever get french fries. If you get salad also be mindful of whats ON IT. Keep cheese sparse and I always try to avoid any crutons, bacon bits etc. If it comes with it, I just make sure to tell them to leave it off. I always customize it MY way. Choose fat free or reduced dressings, vinigrette dressings are usually a good choice! I try to limit or simply stay away from bread, chip baskets etc.. There are a lot of ways to eat out, be social and have fun while still making the healthiest choices possible :)
  • Jess21684
    Jess21684 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    and I too will try to look up nutrition info ahead of time on the restaurant and stick to the healthier calorie options and plan ahead of time, what I will be ordering. Most restaurants these days have a "healthier" option section on their menu's so I always look for that as well!
  • wcasie
    wcasie Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I go on line to their websites before arriving there and look at their nutrition guides, choose my foods before hand by what looks good and fits into my plan for the day and stick to it. I still get to eat out, eat foods I enjoy and lose weight.:smile:

this
  • cara4fit
    cara4fit Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    The web is your friend, as a lot of people have already responded by suggesting checking the online menu and know pretty much what you'll eat before you get there. Before the web, it was word of mouth, or reading a restaurant review or something. Now one has the facts with the web, and if you have a smart phone you have all this at your fingertips anywhere. One can also pretty much figure on standard restaurants serving 3x what is a normal portion of something, so that immediate doggie bag is a good idea. Some restaurants are going to be more challenging than others to find healthy options and some will be easier. It also depends on where one lives too. Usually in a bigger city there's more of a choice of eateries including ethnic ones that often have wonderful food that can fit into one's caloric budget if one chooses wisely. Water only for a beverage, have the bread basket taken away, if one has a choice of sides get the leanest simplest ones. If there's some special item you can't pass up, split it with someone, and make the rest of your meal lighter if possible. Another thing to consider, especially when with other people, is not to make a huge deal out of your diet, however strict it might be - just quietly order what you can eat. If someone asks, just say that everything looks wonderful and yummy but you really do have to stick to your plan for health reasons from your last doctor's appointment. Medical reasons usually shut people up.
    Restaurants aren't going away anytime soon, so one has to learn how to navigate, which kinds to go with and which are obvious no-no's, as in, no matter how one slices it, there's not one healthy thing on the menu.
  • cld111
    cld111 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I agree with many others. I check the menu online first and decide what I want ahead of time. I LOVE eating out. I just have to work it in to the day.
  • KariRoseDoll
    KariRoseDoll Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Usually, I order certain things without sauces or dressings(in the case of salads). Things can be a bit high in sodium content, but depending on the place you can order to specifics. I always look for low calorie options and "lunch" servings -- they're often plenty and they're cheaper too. If you can, specify that you want steamed veggies without butter, and get butter or dipping sauces on the side so you control how much you want to take in.

If you ever go to Outback, I highly suggest the Steakhouse Salad. It's a delicious combo of some of their sirloin, and you get a wonderful salad too. It satisfies the steak-craving for me.
  • LacyJean1
    LacyJean1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    There is a restaurant app that has a nutritional information for several different places. Some places even have a section of their menu that are lower cal options. Applebee's has several WW options and several "Under 550" options that taste amazing!
  • Pinkgingham_19
    Pinkgingham_19 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I never eat at the types of restaurants that have calorie counts. IMO, restaurant food is always unhealthy. So I'd rather eat at home the majority of the time, and then when I do eat at a restaurant, really make it special.
  • LMick1986
    LMick1986 Posts: 431
    Options
    okay thank you everyone great advice...i hate when im craving pizza but going to go for the salad lol

Eat pizza! I can't cut out pizza altogether......so I order it with light sauce, light cheese, pretty much all veggie toppings, and thin crust. That cuts a lot of the calories.
    Other than that, I look online before I go places. Also, a lot of places have a lighter menu, so that's nice! I love Applebees with their 500 calorie meals! Super yummy! And Cheesecake Factory surprised me! They have an ENTIRE menu of healthy options! Very filling and good!
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    look up the nutrition info ahead if you know where ur going. helps to get an idea
  • bcumak
    bcumak Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I love to eat out and do so a few times a week, and I am still loosing 1-2 lbs a week. I just check the menu in advance or I look up a thing or two in the restaurant. I rarely get drinks other than water and the occasional unsweetened iced tea. Make sure if you order a salad that it is really "healthy" as they often have more calories than other options. I don't make eating out "cheat days", I just fit the calories into what I have left or I just make sure I exercise off those extra calories. Applebee's and 99 restaurants have some great "lower" calorie meals that taste great.
  • angelams1019
    angelams1019 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Be prepared with a game plan! Research dining options, decide on a meal and know what you're going to order BEFORE you get there. And make sure you're not STARVING when you get there! That will ensure you don't make any rash decisions out of weakness and HUNGER! lol
  • KrystalHocevar
    KrystalHocevar Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Something I like to do is as soon as I get my food I ask for a takeout container and I put at least half away to take home for the next day. Getting it off your plate takes the thinking out of it so you can concentrate on enjoying your time out. I know sometimes I can get caught up in conversation and atmosphere and finish my plate even though I wasn't that hungry. Also not having it there doesn't tempt you to have one more bite, then one more, then one more. It really is great!
  • melanieOG
    Options

Passing up pizza isn't living! We eat pizza once a week! I know what day we're having it (usually Thursdays, but for whatever reason we didn't have it tonight) and plan your day accordingly. And two slices will actually suffice :)

good idea! Simple but i never thought of it! Thank you
  • melanieOG
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the great answer's!