Rest days after exercising?

Options
OK, so I have literally worked out everyday for the past 11 days(Start off date) except for one day that i had a family problem and couldn't work out. My question is, should i take some rest periods in between? If yes for how long? and does a make a difference in my weight loss? because i know that sometimes muscles tend to hold water retention for a couple of days to heal themselves, which makes it seem like you're not loosing anything, so is it good to take a day off? or No? Thanks.

Replies

• johncaraher
    johncaraher Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    What kind of workout? With weights you probably should take days off, but you can do cardio pretty much every day. I wouldn't worry about water retention at all because you really should only look at the long term (week-to-week or longer) trend in weight, not the largely uncontrollable fluctuations that happen from day-to-day.
  • slimguy66
    Options
    Listen to your body, if you are feeling good then continue to do cardio daily. If you are doing resistance training you need a day between the parts of your body your are exercising as not to overwork the muscles.
  • faceoff4
    faceoff4 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body, if you are feeling good then continue to do cardio daily. If you are doing resistance training you need a day between the parts of your body your are exercising as not to overwork the muscles.

This is perfect advise!
  • aimeeernest
    aimeeernest Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Yes, its perfectly fine.

I work two days a week (stay home with my son) so my days off work are the days that I make it to the gym. Then the 2 days that I work are my days off the gym.

I also alternate workouts. I do weights every other day and cardio everyday. Muscles need time to heal to prevent injuries.