Benefits of drinking green tea!?

Options
Hello!

So I've read that green tea is very good for you and helps your body in many different ways, I'm aware you can drink it and take it in supplement form; however what are the benefits as far as weight loss goes? Does it really speed up your metabolism? I'm well aware I sound like a bit of an air head but I've just heard so many different things!

Also please feel free to add me, I'm always looking for new, motivating friends!

Replies

• ambervaldez79
    ambervaldez79 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Several years ago, I would drink nothing but iced green tea. I did not see any difference in weight. I ate fairly healthy then, along with exercise.
  • tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    The only benefit to drinking green tea that most authorities can agree on is that it tastes good. (Also, provided you didn't buy decaf green tea, there's more caffeine in green than black tea, and caffeine is an appetite suppressant, so there's that.)

As long as you don't load it with sugar, the tea can't hurt, so drink it if you like it. Any secondary benefits are merely icing.
  • JenS2586
    Options
    hi. i LOVE green tea. i dont believe it does much for weight personally. but its got tons of health benefits. i drink it everyday. when im stressed i drink cup after cup of it. its great after a meal though for cleansing and digestion. they say it helps with metabolism, maybe it does, hard to prove it i think. hot lemon water is also good for metabolism, supposedly. sorry im no real help here. feel free to add me if you like tho :)
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    a girl I know said it helped her loose weight when she drank two cups a day. Not sure if it's true but it is really good for you and better than taking a pill. I like it hot or cold. I like bigelow brand, they also sell blended green teas like green tea and pomegrante
  • piritaoro
    piritaoro Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have been drinking green tea since many years ago. It doesn't help me lose weight. Good thing I drink it because I just love it!
  • Emma_Problema
    Emma_Problema Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Antioxidants. Green tea is full of 'em.

And there was a Japanese study done a few years ago that had people drinking a lot of green tea (or maybe taking supplements..I can't remember) and it showed that the subjects who were given green tea lost more fat, specifically more belly fat. The amount you need in your system for those results is more than a cup a day. I'd research the amount it you're so inclined. But anyway, it would need to be almost every day and a ton of green tea to see benefits.

I drank at least 2 cups a day and had a pretty flat belly the last time I lost weight. But then again, I was south beaching and 20 lbs lighter than I am now. So I don't really know.

But the research is legit. I go for green whenever I can. I've considered starting to drink it more at the office.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    When I drink green tea it acts as a diuretic and I pee more than I drink. It's supposed to be an anti-oxidant.

More importantly, it tastes good.
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    My friend who is a naturopathic doctor encouraged me to drink green tea without any sweetener. Eventually, I got used to the taste and I have two cups a day. It can curb your appetite, it is full of anti-oxidants, and can help with your blood pressure and heart.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    My friend who is a naturopathic doctor encouraged me to drink green tea without any sweetener. Eventually, I got used to the taste and I have two cups a day. It can curb your appetite, it is full of anti-oxidants, and can help with your blood pressure and heart.

When I didn't know any better I followed Dr Oz's advice to drink lots of iced green tea and my blood pressure went way up each time I did it. Frightened me enough to never have too much of it again.
  • orangelobster
    Options
    I take a thermos of it everyday. It tastes great, plus it tastes good cold (or cooled down) as well. Regular black tea not so much.

I've heard good things about it too - anti oxidant, mild appetite supressant (probably the caffeine)
  • Emma_Problema
    Emma_Problema Posts: 422 Member
    Options

When I didn't know any better I followed Dr Oz's advice to drink lots of iced green tea and my blood pressure went way up each time I did it. Frightened me enough to never have too much of it again.

There have been studies showing that it helps with high blood pressure. And I don't see how drinking tea would make your bp skyrocket. I think there may have been other factors involved. Don't be scared of tea! :)