Final word on whey protein? Is it ok for weight loss?

Options
Is it ok to use 1 scoop of whey protein powder with water daily? I use Jay Robb's brand and the nutritional info is below. I eat egg whites, chicken, shrimp, tilapia, NF greek yogurt and occasionally black beans for protein. However, the whey powder gives my protein intake a boost. And I stay within my allotted macros and calories. I'm worried because I've read so many different things about whey protein powder. It's either good or a no-no for weight loss. Which one is it?

Jay Robb's Whey PP
110 calories
0g Fat
1g Carbs
25g Protein
150mg sodium
390mg potassium
3% Calcium

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    If your goal is weight loss then anything goes as long as you are below TDEE.
    If goal is fat loss with maximum lean mass retention then eat your macros, appx 30% protein 30% fats and the rest carbs, and lift weights.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Dan hit it - it's neither "good" nor "bad" if thinking of it purely in weight loss terms. If you're not getting enough protein from whole foods, whey protein is a good way to supplement it to help preserve lean body mass; if you're already getting enough protein from other sources, it's just calories you don't need....but as long as you're still in a deficit, it's not hurting anything.

In other words, whey protein, within the context of a diet which is maintaining a caloric deficit and proper macros, will neither help nor hinder weight loss. It's just a source of protein - nothing "magic" about it.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    No. Any amount of whey protein you ingest, however little, will cause you to gain weight, regardless of how many calories you are or aren't eating. I know people are always like "but thermodynamics! blah blah blah". But whey defies the laws of the physical universe. I think it's got something to do with black holes or string theory.

ETA: Soy or hemp protein on the other hand, you can ingest freely. They will not cause weight gain.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I have nothing to add but I enjoyed everyones response so far ...particularly tasos lol
  • halleyg2
    halleyg2 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your quick responses! I appreciate the feedback.

Taso - If I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism at age 8, I doubt soy would be my friend. It's the devil.

Hopefully I can return the protein powder and get a full refund. I hate to think that whey is evil.
  • taso42
    Options
    The cashier should be reprimanded for even letting you walk out of there with it. If you've opened the container already, then unfortunately, some of the particles have been released into the air. There is nothing you can really do about that, other than have your whole house pressurized. (Whey protein breaks down into harmless water and salt at 15 psi).
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    ETA: Soy or hemp protein on the other hand, you can ingest freely. They will not cause weight gain.

But... but... what about egg white protein? Will that turn me fat?
  • orangelobster
    Options
    I use the hemp protein, it doesn't really mix very well and it tastes like earth but I think it's healthier. I"ve a very busy schedule and I find it fills me up and keeps me going.
  • taso42
    Options

But... but... what about egg white protein? Will that turn me fat?

That one is neutral, like water. Don't waste your money. All the calories and vitamins are in the yolk anyway.
  • brad5d
    brad5d Posts: 26
    Options
    No. Any amount of whey protein you ingest, however little, will cause you to gain weight, regardless of how many calories you are or aren't eating. I know people are always like "but thermodynamics! blah blah blah". But whey defies the laws of the physical universe. I think it's got something to do with black holes or string theory.

You trolling or something. Whey doesn't make you gain weight. Carbs after 8pm do though!
  • edennew
    edennew Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I call BS. I am losing on whey protein- Jay Robb specifically.
  • brad5d
    Options
    I call BS. I am losing on whey protein- Jay Robb specifically.

brb, I lost 50 pounds and drink at least 1 whey shake a day.
  • morticiamom
    morticiamom Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    People need to understand that Taso's first language wasn't English -- it was sarcasm.
  • karensdream
    karensdream Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Whey Isolate protein is used in many bariatric programs as a protein supplement after surgery. I had surgery in November and started on the protein drinks pre-op, and lost weight, I used it post-op until I was tolerating solids, and I continue to use an occasional supplemental shake. I also continue to lose weight. We were instructed in our classes to use ONLY a whey isolate protein powder, with at least 20g protein/scoop.
  • brad5d
    Options
    People need to understand that Taso's first language wasn't English -- it was sarcasm.

Did he die or is English also not your first language?
  • morticiamom
    morticiamom Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    It's in the past tense because it was before he learned another one. Or he died, and he's communicating through his computer as if it were a Ouija board.
  • taso42
    Options

:bigsmile:
  • FitbitRed
    Options

Where is the sarcasm font on MFP?
  • Stogie40
    Stogie40 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I’ve been drinking 2 whey protein shakes almost every day for almost a year and a half, and have loss 150lbs so far. In mine I have 12oz water, 1 scoop of protein and 2 big scoops of low fat yogurt. And on special days I blend that with frozen berries, it makes a most awesome smoothie.
  • AlexBoBalex79
    AlexBoBalex79 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Bumping for clarification.

I'm drinking 2 Whey Isolate protein smoothies a day. One for breakfast and one for lunch. I mix in apples, pears, strawberries, bananas, blueberries; basically 2 or 3 fruits in with the shake, made with water. My breakfasts and lunches are usually around 300 calories each. I'm not a snacker but I do have a really good dinner with the family. Is that a good way to incorporate the whey isolate or am I shooting myself in the foot?