Ways to burn calories without going to the gym?

Options
I run for an hour at 5mph and walk for an hour at 4mph. It burns about 700 calories everyday. My goal is to lose 2 pounds a week so I need to find a way to burn 300 more calories. I have a treadmill, pull up bar, dumbbells, but that's about it. What do you guys do to workout? Do you know of any workout videos that work well?

Replies

• shyannene
    shyannene Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My friend did what was called an insanity work out video and she loved it you might try that and she didn't need that much roomto do it
  • EvaD12
    EvaD12 Posts: 49
    Options
    I love any of Jillian Michael's dvd's they are worth a go. Also I'm not sure if you can depends on where you live but I've started jogging up and down the stairs in my apartment building (jogging might be an overstatement as most of the time its a fast walk) and that burns a ton of calories or so my HRM tells me.

Otherwise maybe set the incline of the treadmill up higher, so do the walk as an uphill walk.
  • AnjaZ89
    AnjaZ89 Posts: 235
    Options
    there are lots of dumbbell exercise sheets on pinterest and videos on YT !!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I'm not understanding why you need to burn 1,000 calories a day in exercise?
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    There are lots of workout videos on YouTube.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I run for an hour at 5mph and walk for an hour at 4mph. It burns about 700 calories everyday. My goal is to lose 2 pounds a week so I need to find a way to burn 300 more calories. I have a treadmill, pull up bar, dumbbells, but that's about it. What do you guys do to workout? Do you know of any workout videos that work well?

You do realize that you burn calories just from living right? Also, unless you are obese, you can not lose 2 lbs per week. Thats way too aggressive for weight loss.

Look up basal metabolic rate. You end up burning 75% of your calories from that alone.
  • nica171
    Options
    Zumba is a great way to lose weight fun and fast
  • kelsue35
    kelsue35 Posts: 463 Member
    Options

this^^
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options

You do realize that you burn calories just from living right? Also, unless you are obese, you can not lose 2 lbs per week. Thats way too aggressive for weight loss.

Look up basal metabolic rate. You end up burning 75% of your calories from that alone.

^ This.

And for dumbbell workouts, if you've got a smart phone, the Nike Training Club app is free and full of great workouts.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options

This! I'm not sure why you feel you need to burn 1000 calories a day.

That much exercise is not good for your body.
  • Gward77
    Options
    Interval training! For example go 2 minutes at a 5 on the treadmill then go to 8 to 9 at 45 seconds on the treadmill. Do a set of curls, then 45 seconds on the treadmill, then crunches then jump rope that way you are doing high intensity intervals.
  • Kadesha72
    Kadesha72 Posts: 109 Member
    Options

this^^

Agreed
  • honey_bee_keysha
    honey_bee_keysha Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Two words: Jillian Michaels
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options

I've lost 2-4 pounds a week since I've started my new lifestyle of healthy eating and working out and I'm not obese. I've lost about 22 pounds in 7 weeks
  • orangelobster
    Options
    Squats, lunges, repeat.
    jumping jacks, jumping rope, dancing.
  • kwentz1960
    Options
    On some nights I work late and I just can't get to the gym. This week I started jogging in the basement. It may sound boring, but I it is quick and easy. Then I do about 20 minutes of various floor exercises. I have 8 pound weights that use for a variety of exercises. I am an outdoorsy person so the cold winter months are tough. I would much rather be outside.
  • AngieM476
    Options

I've lost 2-4 pounds a week since I've started my new lifestyle of healthy eating and working out and I'm not obese. I've lost about 22 pounds in 7 weeks

Losing 1-2 pounds is completely healthy, and burning 1000 calories really isn't that much. Not sure what those others are talking about.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Amazes me how many people are just offering advice rather than asking why the OP feels like they need to do 2+ hours of exercise a day and burn 1000 cals a day. Totally OTT and too aggressive.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    My goal is to lose 2 pounds a week

Get your diet in check.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options

Actually you can lose more than 2 pounds per week. Not saying you necessarily should, but it would be wrong to tell people that they can't. The week of Christmas, for example, my weight dropped 3.2 pounds. I typically lose a lot less than that each week, but it's not impossible.