Beginners bench press

Options
Hi guys.

Last week I started going to the gym for the first time and have started lifting.
On the Bench press I top out at 75lb, and I really struggle to do that so I tend to bring it down to 55lb.
My question is: How long does it generally take to build the muscle to be able to lift more?
Thanks.

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    As a dude, doing 3 sets of 5, or even 5 sets of 5, you should be able to add 5lbs a week to your bench pretty easily.

Once you learn the form properly (how to use your feet to help you, for example) it will go up even more.
  • scottjames84
    Options
    As a dude, doing 3 sets of 5, or even 5 sets of 5, you should be able to add 5lbs a week to your bench pretty easily.

Once you learn the form properly (how to use your feet to help you, for example) it will go up even more.

At the moment we are doing 3 sets of 10; do you think we should do 5 x 5?
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

At the moment we are doing 3 sets of 10; do you think we should do 5 x 5?

if your primary focus is strength, yes.

Those 5 should be heavier reps than the weight you used for 10s...
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    There's nothing inherently wrong with 3x10, but for your goals at the moment (which I'm assuming include fat loss) you are probably better off with a lower rep program to help you build strength.

5x5 is what I used for several months when starting out, and it helped me add a decent amount of weight to the bar. You will need start a little below your max weight and focus on technique, then once you have adapted to the exercise (this is about your nervous system adapting to the new exercise as much as it is about muscle strength) it is realistic that you could add 2.5 to 5lb a week for a few weeks straight.

Can I ask what the rest of your program looks like?
  • scottjames84
    Options
    There's nothing inherently wrong with 3x10, but for your goals at the moment (which I'm assuming include fat loss) you are probably better off with a lower rep program to help you build strength.

5x5 is what I used for several months when starting out, and it helped me add a decent amount of weight to the bar. You will need start a little below your max weight and focus on technique, then once you have adapted to the exercise (this is about your nervous system adapting to the new exercise as much as it is about muscle strength) it is realistic that you could add 2.5 to 5lb a week for a few weeks straight.

Can I ask what the rest of your program looks like?

I'll find out, still working my way round a gym but my workout buddy knows.
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    First off, you won't be building muscle that quickly, but you will be building strength in the muscle you already have. Bench 2 times a week, add weight as you go, go low reps the higher weight you go up. If you lift heavy, add weight and eat closer to maintenance, you will build muscle over the long haul.
  • UncleAngry
    Options
    If you're looking for a good starting point search on line for a program called Starting Strength 5x5. Gives you a program to follow and a rep/exercise breakdown of what to do per week.

Good job on taking the first steps to a new you. keep it up!
  • faceoff4
    faceoff4 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Just keep at it and listen to the replies above all good advice. I was the same way when I got back into lifting after all my shoulder surgeries. I could barely do the bar and some small weights on it and within just a few months I was doing 275lbs 6-7 times on my last sets. So dont get discouraged and find a good program that mirrors your goal (strength gain, size, etc) and stick with it.