I need cheap running shoes, any suggestions?

Options
I'm a college kid and I recently bought a pair of tennis shoes but I realized that they are a half size to small so my toes press up against the front. So I'm looking for new ones but I have a limited budget. I'm training for a half marathon and want one that is well built and of good quality so I don’t have problems throughout my training process. I was wondering if anyone knows any sites/stores that have well built shoes for a low price. Also what are the best brands for running shoes? I'm kind of new to this whole half marathon thing.

Replies

• Markus_7
    Markus_7 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    try ross or marshalls, or an outlet store (nike, adidas)...love my asics gel nimbus but more expensive. good luck!
  • aswearingen22
    aswearingen22 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    The most important thing a runner needs is good shoes fitted just for them. Here's my advice.

1. go to a running store (not the big chain sporting good stores but a specialty running store), and have them evaluate you and figure out which shoes you need.
    2. tell them your budget, sometimes they'll have prior years models on clearance.
    3. if they still don't have the shoe you want in your budget, try searching for older models of that shoe online. Check out places like 6pm.com for clearance shoes in that brand/model.

Seriously, don't skimp on the shoes, your likelihood of injury increases with the wrong shoes.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I agree don't skimp on runners especially if you plan on running long distances.
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    try fleet farm, sometimes they have good deals on nice brand shoes. You can find sketchers there sometimes at good prices.
  • shrinkingsusie
    shrinkingsusie Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Kohls has Aisics.
  • xprettyreckless
    xprettyreckless Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I agree don't skimp on runners especially if you plan on running long distances.

^this.

you're training for a halfmarathon - that'll be a lot of training. getting the right shoes is crucial.
    I would really try to save somewhere else. if you find great, cheap running shoes, good, but don't
    make the price your priority. wrong shoes can seriously mess up your legs.
  • futrformrfatty
    futrformrfatty Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    do you have a DSW in your area? Just this week I picked up a pair of 110 dollar asics on clearance for 35 bucks!!!
  • heartransplants
    Options
    I always have really good luck at the outlet stores... Got a pair of $120 Nike's for $30 bucks!!!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    If you can find an outlet store great, otherwise expect to pay closer to $100 USD. That or mess up your feet/legs/etc.

are you on your schools running team? maybe you can try with them?
  • Yahooliz
    Yahooliz Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It's clearance sale time. You should be able to find a fantastic pair of shoes dirt cheap if you don't worry about the looks. Just focus on comfort and support. Check out the ultra clearance rack. I've found some fantastic exercise shoes that way. And even outlet stores have clearance. Good luck!!!
  • EmilyGetsSkinny95
    EmilyGetsSkinny95 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I had really good luck at an outlet store! I got a pair of Reeboks for an affordable price. I don't run a lot in them though - I mostly wear mine on random hiking trips or working out. I like Vibram FiveFingers for running. :)
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
  • luvlife869
    luvlife869 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice! You guys are awesome! I'll keep it in mind while training.