advice?

Options
Hello,

I've browsed around here before but never really posted anything! Anyway, I was wondering if anyone could give me advice, tips, etc. to help me lose this stubborn weight!

I'm 30 yrs old, 5ft flat and i currently weigh 174lbs. I gained about 10lbs in the last two months (YIKES), so I usually hover around 160-165. In general, I have a hard time losing weight. I can go on the same diet plan as all my friends but my weight rarely budges. I think it has to do with crash dieting, skipping meals when I was in my twenties. I've even had my thyroid checked but there was nothing unusual.

Anyway, I generally eat pretty decent but went a little crazy during the holidays. After Christmas I buckled down and started eating 1200 a day (300 calories smoothie for breakfast, low carb lunch, another smoothie for dinner) but I have NOT lost any weight! I try to work out at least 3x a week for an hour with heavy cardio and circuit training. If it helps, I carry most of the weight in my legs and waist (pear shaped).

Any advice on what I could be doing wrong? everyone i know has lost their holiday weight and I'm terrified this weight is gonna end up sticking. Thank you in advance.

Replies

• mijohnst
    Options
    Are you getting enough calories? Not eating enough can have a negative effect just like over eating. Your body thinks it's starving and holds onto stored fat. You might want to bump up your calories to at least 1500. For your weight that's not out of the question. Good luck and welcome to MFP. :)
  • Julesconan
    Options
    Sounds like the same trouble I was having, put on 20kg after quitting smoking and couldnt do anything to shift the weight, eating well and running everyday achived nothing!
    I have been on the HCG diet, completed a 2 week stint and lost 7 kg, had a month off, weight stayed the same, now Im on day 3 of another 2 week stint, hoping to loose the last 5 kg.
    They say if your calorie intake is too low, your body go's into starvation mode and saves every last bit of fat to store, your weight on the scales is not always the best thing to go on either, especially if you have been building muscle with newfound exercise!
    Best of luck to you, I suppose perserverance is the best trick but it is hard when your making such great efforts and not seeing the results you deserve. : )
  • babyshekamoo
    babyshekamoo Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I agree it seems as though you aren't eating enough calories. Also what is in the smoothie? Is it a lot of fruit? Try adding two small snacks to help keep your metabolism going.

Also with working out how much cardio vs weight training? Weight training is very important for loosing weight. Also consider adding two things to your workouts.
    1. Add a 45 minute walk two to three times a week. This is what pace your heart rate is at fat burn.
    2. Add sprints to your cardio this is a good body shocker to help spread up your metabolism.

Hope this helps and good luck!
  • calliope25
    Options
    I agree it seems as though you aren't eating enough calories. Also what is in the smoothie? Is it a lot of fruit? Try adding two small snacks to help keep your metabolism going.

Also with working out how much cardio vs weight training? Weight training is very important for loosing weight. Also consider adding two things to your workouts.
    1. Add a 45 minute walk two to three times a week. This is what pace your heart rate is at fat burn.
    2. Add sprints to your cardio this is a good body shocker to help spread up your metabolism.

Hope this helps and good luck!

the smoothies are based on dr. oz's detox smoothies. so an example would be raspberries, 1 banana, tsp of almond butter, spinach, flax seed and coconut water.

i go to these circuit classes which incorporates cardio and weight training. the weight traing is once a week, so i think i should step that up.

thank you for your advice!
  • calliope25
    Options
    thanks for the advice! i think the general consensus is that i'm not eating enough calories. i'm gonna up my calories to 1500/day and see how that goes for the next couple of weeks!
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

This calculator puts your BMR at about 1430. Many people here would recommend you eat at least that much per day on average. And then eat back some of your exercise calories. EDIT: just saw you're upping to 1500. I bet that'll help! Good luck.
  • calliope25
    Options
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

This calculator puts your BMR at about 1430. Many people here would recommend you eat at least that much per day on average. And then eat back some of your exercise calories. EDIT: just saw you're upping to 1500. I bet that'll help! Good luck.

i was just gonna ask about eating back exercise calories. so if after a hard work out i was under 1430, should i make sure i eat back those calories exactly or just as much as possible?
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry often, eat back all your exercise calories. If you're not in particular hungry, then don't, in my opinion. A balanced approach would be to eat back half of them. Just make sure to eat at least your BMR.

I PERSONALLY underestimate my calorie expenditure for my workouts and then try to eat back all my calories, on average over the week.
  • calliope25
    Options
    If you're hungry often, eat back all your exercise calories. If you're not in particular hungry, then don't, in my opinion. A balanced approach would be to eat back half of them. Just make sure to eat at least your BMR.

I PERSONALLY underestimate my calorie expenditure for my workouts and then try to eat back all my calories, on average over the week.

got it. thanks so much for the advice. hopefully, i can finally get a handle on weight loss. living on smoothies and trying to work out like crazy to no avail has been so frustrating, so thank you again!