Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Body Fit Media

I have seen some references to this. I went to the website and to Amazon to try to understand how this works and how it incorporates into MFP. I am no gadget whiz by any means. I do not have a smart phone but I do have a KindleFire. There seem to be 3 products and I find no comparatives. Would someone explain and/or give me their thoughts/recommendations?

Replies

• japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Bump.
  • Dsnyfrk921
    Dsnyfrk921 Posts: 64 Member
    I have the bodymedia armband and love it. Before this, I had a bodybugg (also loved that!).

You wear it on your arm all day and it calculates the amount of calories you burn when you are wearing it. It also
    measures your sleep patterns and how many steps you take in a day.

If you watch the Biggest Loser, all the contestants wear the BodyMedia armband as well. It's a great tool and has
    really helped me.

I'd recommend it to anyone.

Let me know if you have any questions.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    i have it, and wear it every day. i love it. it calculates my daily calorie burn, TDEE plus exercise. so i dont have to guess using the machines or calorie calculators. When you link it up with MFP, it will import your exercise over so that you dont have to manually enter it. Its helped me lose a lot of weight. You can zoom in on specific activities and see exact calorie burn, so i've been able to concentrate on higher calorie burning activities and not waste my time doing things that dont burn calories.
  • DaBossLady24
    DaBossLady24 Posts: 556 Member
    bump... is this similar to a HRM with a chest strap or just an armband? I've been wondering this for a while now!
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    skip it. glorified pedometer and you have to pay monthly subscription. also it doesn't track "non-standard" activities, which is everything except walking.

It doesn't work for dancing bc it only tracks forward movement; I am a dance instructor. Doesn't track cycling; I am a cyclist. Doesn't track weight lifting; I'm a lifter. Doesn't track paddleboarding; I'm a paddleboarder. Utterly useless.

They say it tracks housekeeping though, so again, for me, useless.
  • judykat7
    judykat7 Posts: 576 Member
    Which of the 3 are you using and do you use it without a smartphone? Do you pay the monthly fee to BodyFit?
  • SnazzyPeg
    SnazzyPeg Posts: 33 Member
    I have one too and it does take a lot of the guess work out of the equation. Somebody said that you can slip it in your bra under your left arm. I've been doing this and it seems to work fine. My bluetooth is finicky though, but it's great when it works!
  • It is an accelerometer w/ a heart rate monitor in the arm band. It's your best bet if you are looking for a something like this all the other things that compare like fitbit, do not have a heart rate monitor. Without a heart rate monitor it's just a glorified pedometer.

If you go to Body Media's website it lets you compare the models as well as other options on the market :)

One downfall.....It's ugly........unlike tools like fitbit.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    I would definitely recommend it. I've had mine since June of '12 and it has really helped me in so many ways imaginable.
  • AEFidgets
    AEFidgets Posts: 243
    I have the Body Media Core and I love it!! It's not just a glorified pedometer. It does track your steps but it also calulates your calories burned throughout the day. I use it every day and i have found it gives me accurate information not only for my runs but for my lifting as well. It uses your skin conductivity (sweat) body temp and movement to calculate this. It also monitors the number of hours your sleeping vs just laying down. There is a montly subscription but it's about the equivilant of 7 sodas a month, once pack of ciggs, or two drinks at Starbucks. So as you can see most people have the money in the budget for this.
  • meeka472
    meeka472 Posts: 283 Member
    I would definitely recommend getting one. It gives you a much more accurate reading on your calorie burn than other products that I have tried and it helps you have a realistic picture of how many calories you need to meet your fitness goals. I've had mine since August of '12 but I have been using it non-stop ever since they linked it with MFP. So far it is the best tool I've used so far and I've used the fitbit, pedometer, and the HRM.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    I have the Body Media Core and I love it!! It's not just a glorified pedometer. It does track your steps but it also calulates your calories burned throughout the day. I use it every day and i have found it gives me accurate information not only for my runs but for my lifting as well. It uses your skin conductivity (sweat) body temp and movement to calculate this. It also monitors the number of hours your sleeping vs just laying down. There is a montly subscription but it's about the equivilant of 7 sodas a month, once pack of ciggs, or two drinks at Starbucks. So as you can see most people have the money in the budget for this.
    Yeah, it tracks my lifting accurately as well (although a lot say it doesn't for them, oh well).
  • amymina
    amymina Posts: 64 Member
    I haven't tried it, but I find that using MFP to track my calories in and then the treadmill and such at the gym to track what I am burning is more than what I need. I still have quite a bit of weight to lose, and if I get closer to the end and need help I may try this, but do not want to spend the money right now
  • judykat7
    judykat7 Posts: 576 Member

So I guess about $5 a month. Not undoable. Where do you get your results? I do not have a smart phone - does it go to my computer or to an app I can use on my Fire? I did not find much info on the website.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    mine tracks all my activity, weight lifting, cycling, running, standing, sitting, everything. However some activities aren't high calorie burners, like weight lifting or for me cycling. So people that say it doens't track certain activities accurately are just misleading themselves and wanting to think they are burning more than they are. I've compared my total calorie deficit to my pounds lost over the last 6 months, and it has been more than 90% accurate for me.
  • darcyinmo
    darcyinmo Posts: 129 Member
    I just received my Body fit media Link in the mail today and scrambled to get it charged and set up before I came to work tonight. I love the fact that it is bluetoothed to my smartphone. I can see if I need to get up off my butt more while I'm at work! LOL! So far, so good. And I LOVE that it sync with MFP. I put my dinner in and it automatically updated with body fit, giving me a good boost of extra calories to eat -- gotta love that! I plan on wearing it for a few days and see how my regular activity pans out, then adjust accordingly.... I'm not sure if it will work on a Kindle.
  • I just ordered the "link" today. Can't wait for it to arrive in the mail!
  • markbbishop1
    markbbishop1 Posts: 1 Member
    I have one too. I stopped using it for a month, charged it, put it on... refreshed and it said i lost 2000 calories. Does it guess or anyone know why it did this?
  • Amadbro
    Amadbro Posts: 750 Member
    I bought a bodybugg off Amazon used for 50.00 with a digital display and 3 armbands. If you have the display then you don't need a subscription. I use it for my bulk. It's pretty amazing.