Smaller ladies, how do you burn the most calories?

Options
When I had lots of weight to lose I burned through calories like there was no tomorrow. Now I don't burn as much when I workout.
I do a lot of low impact aerobics and walking. I do some kickboxing and strength training. It's hard for me to burn more than 100 calories in a 20 minute workout. I feel so tired when I do an hour and feel kinda peeved when it's only 200-300 calories burnt off.
I would like to be able to burn 500 calories a day within 60-80 minutes.

What type of cardio workouts do you do to blast away calories? Any tips?

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Roller derby. 500-800+ calories/hour depending on the intensity.
  • laurelobrien
    laurelobrien Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    high intensity interval training on an elliptical

i hate cardio though so i usually just eat less instead
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Martial arts/kickboxing...typically burns about 500-600 per hour for me.

The only machine at the gym that comes close to this for me is the step mill, and even then it's only about 400 calories an hour.
  • eatrainsmile
    eatrainsmile Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Running or High Intensity Interval Training. Burns around 600 cals for 1 hour for me.
  • uwdawg07
    uwdawg07 Posts: 372
    Options
    Higher intensity is the best way to burn major calories in a shorter amount of time.
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Bicycling. Especially my mountain bike. It's like a built-in interval workout...works my whole body more than running or riding my road bike.
  • lina011
    lina011 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    im not a small lady 5'8 i can burn up to 600 cal an hr but you really gotta push yourself, HIIT and kickboxing, weights and cardio intervals is great also
  • erinpooh
    Options
    Stair master.
  • limesublime
    limesublime Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Step aerobics!
  • theRubberBlubberWhale_Slinky
    Options
    elliptical,hiit, or circuit training
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty small (110 pounds) and I have to put in maximum effort to get over 500 calories in an hour. I'm talking drenched in sweat can't hold a conversation effort.

Spin classes get me to over 500, sometimes 600. I've also started breaking up my strength sessions with some HIIT. I'll burn over 500 calories in an hour doing this.
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    I love HIIT but am wondering how long people are doing it they are burning that much. A typical tabata style hit workout for me is 20 mins excluding warm up/cool down and if I push I burn 10 - 12 cals a minute. Now circuit training at a lesser intensity I can do an hr and burn 500 - 600ish.
  • eatrainsmile
    eatrainsmile Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I love HIIT but am wondering how long people are doing it they are burning that much. A typical tabata style hit workout for me is 20 mins excluding warm up/cool down and if I push I burn 10 - 12 cals a minute. Now circuit training at a lesser intensity I can do an hr and burn 500 - 600ish.

Height does matter too. The taller and heavier you are, the more you burn. The key of HIIT is to push yourself until your max then slowing down. It burns more than running at an average speed with an average heart rate for the same amount of time.
  • StrongAndHealthyMommy
    StrongAndHealthyMommy Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    P90X from 450 to 700 calories in an hour
  • KatherineStar
    KatherineStar Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    running and spinning
  • cherriegh
    cherriegh Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    HIIT, spinning, calorie deficit, and heavy strength :)