How to burn the most calories?

Options
Accidently posted this in the nutrition are, so sorry for double posting. I don't know how to delete a post!

When I had lots of weight to lose I burned through calories like there was no tomorrow. Now I don't burn as much when I workout.
I do a lot of low impact aerobics and walking. I do some kickboxing and strength training. It's hard for me to burn more than 100 calories in a 20 minute workout. I feel so tired when I do an hour and feel kinda peeved when it's only 200-300 calories burnt off.
I would like to be able to burn 500 calories a day within 60-80 minutes.

What type of cardio workouts do you do to blast away calories? Any tips?

Replies

• aimeeernest
    aimeeernest Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    ohh, thats tough.

I get the most out of aerobics classes , but even then its only around 350 for an hour.
    OR, actually, on the elliptical i could burn 700 in an hour (with it set to 10 resistance, makes a huge difference)... but i never make it past 30 minutes. lol
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I think I replied to the question in the other forum, lol, but what works the best for me is martial arts/kickboxing (or even the "fake" cardio kickboxing classes, as long as you don't "fake" the punches and kicks, if you know what I mean) and the step mill machine. Kickboxing burns around 500-600 calories an hour for me while the step mill is less, about 400 or so. I burn much less calories running on the treadmill (not sure why...could be just me).
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Try not to think so much in terms of calories burned. Find a workout plan you like and can live with and do it. Eat a calorie deficit to lose weight. It is not she who burns the most calories that masters her weight; she who masters her diet masters her weight.
  • jessjayjenk
    jessjayjenk Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Pole dancing is a great workout! You can lose anywhere between 250-600kcal in an hour. Plus is makes you feel awesome about yourself. If there's a class near you I would recommend going. I lost about 10kgs (roughly 22lbs) in about 9 months with no dieting, watching calories or anything. I ate normally - which is pretty bad for me. Anyway, definitely try it.
  • devastation77
    Options
    Try not to think so much in terms of calories burned. Find a workout plan you like and can live with and do it. Eat a calorie deficit to lose weight. It is not she who burns the most calories that masters her weight; she who masters her diet masters her weight.

This. It's very difficult to out-rain a bad diet.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Yep.
  • AnaMarian
    AnaMarian Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    You could try stationary bicycle; it works great for me.
  • littlebuddy84
    littlebuddy84 Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    I find I burn a lot of calories running or Turbo fire :smile:
  • PrincessNikkiBoo
    PrincessNikkiBoo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I am finding achieving high burns difficult now too. Interested on tips. :)
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Run.

I can get out 600-650 calories in 45 mins.
  • alexveksler
    alexveksler Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Find your target heart rate. Usually 80% of your MAX. Mine (male, 50) should be 138 b/min. I can burn 1000 calories is i stay on elliptical for 70 minutes at my HR at 145. I do it 7 days per week
  • MissPeppers
    MissPeppers Posts: 302 Member
    Options

Yep.
    Double yep!
  • UncleRiotous
    Options
    Getting your diet sorted is definitely a key but if you're trying to maximise your calorie burn then you're looking for three things, the number of calories burned in an hour, how long you're likely to be able to keep that exercise going and something that you enjoy enough to put the time in. Mega high burn that you can only maintain for 10 mins isn't any good, neither is low burn that you can do all day and if you hate the exercise you won't do it.

For me I find cycling is something I can keep doing for hours on end (I regularly do 2-3 hours cycling at a go) at an intensity that burns at least 600 cals an hour and I really enjoy it and can fit it into my daily routine. I'm not sure if a stationary bike would be anything like as much fun (and for me I don't like gyms and prefer to be outside) but you should be able to burn mega calories if you've got the time to put in.
  • Nerdphiliac
    Nerdphiliac Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Jump-roping seems to work wonders for me! You can burn an odd 180-200 calories per 15 minutes; so, at least 720-800 calories per hour. My BF% dropped by significantly over a month of doing 30 minutes of skipping everyday, including walking and abdominal exercises. C:
  • P05T5CRIPT
    P05T5CRIPT Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    In Spin I burn around 300-400 calories in 30 minutes and in my boxing and kettlebell classes I average around 500-650 calories for 60 minutes. Those 3 classes are when I burn the most, however running is also great.

But just find something you love and do it, don't focus so much on calories burned, concentrate on giving your all in whatever exercise you choose to do :flowerforyou:
  • Izabera
    Izabera Posts: 28
    Options
    Cycling works wonders for me, during a two hour ride i see figures ranging from 1000-1500 - Before i bought my new bike i used an xtrainer but after 6 months it became very boring , just ordered myself a turbo trainer for my bike so i can now get some serious workouts even it the weathers horrible (as it usually is in UK).

Cycling is a great way to enjoy exercise and get outdoors even if i was cursing on wednesday riding in sub zero conditions-)
  • nguk123
    nguk123 Posts: 223
    Options
    You can burn 800cals with a moderate paced run over an hour
  • MrsElyshaGunn
    Options
    Do Insanity - I burn 10 calories a minute - and I take a lot of breaks. Their average disc is 40 mins, and I burn between 420-450 on average, and it tones your body like crazy
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    Kickboxing is great - or change it up with metacon stuff. like the spartacus workout. it's fantastic. :) Also, you should be doing a lot of strength training as the long term benefits (fat burn) are higher than the immediate benefits of cardio (calorie burn). Also, running gives a pretty good calorie burn. last weekend's five mile run took around 63 minutes and burned 651 calories.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I know what ypou mean - when you're small it takes an awful lot of effort to burn an extra 100 calories. So you have to be super vigilant about your food intake, where sadly it's all too easy to consume an extra 100 cals.