HRM burn question

Options
Personally, when you note down your HRM burn do you note the calories that it says or deduct a % off it before noting? just to "be safe"

I'm not sure which to do, so thought I'd see what others do.

I have a Polar FT7.

Thanks.

Replies

• starspeckled
    starspeckled Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Personally, when you note down your HRM burn do you note the calories that it says or deduct a % off it before noting? just to "be safe"

I have a Polar FT7.

Thanks.

Hmm... I guess I am confused as to why you would deduct anything.
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I have an FT7 and I don't deduct anything...
    I find it way more accurate than the machines so... happy with what it says compared to the over-inflated figs that you could be using.
  • PrincessNikkiBoo
    PrincessNikkiBoo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I have an FT7 and I don't deduct anything...
    I find it way more accurate than the machines so... happy with what it says compared to the over-inflated figs that you could be using.

Thanks. I got the FT7 for accuracy, I just saw that a few people in the forums deducted a percentage overall when using a HRM (especially when they are maintaining) and I wondered if anyone with the FT7 did the same.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Well, technically you're supposed to back out your BMR, but HRM's are only about 85-90% accurate anyway, so I wouldn't really worry about it, as the calories in the food you eat are only about 85-90% accurate also.
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I deduct my BMR basic "in a coma calories" from all my totals. Burn 300 calories in 30 minutes, and I log 300 minus (1200/24=50 /2=25 ) so I'd log 275
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I used to think about deducting my normal burn per hour for just being alive (around 100 calories an hour) and then logging the difference in MFP, but since I don't eat my exercise calories I don't bother. That's a good reason though not to eat ALL exercise calories though
  • Pilotgirl86
    Options
    Calories burnt from a HR monitor are pretty accurate for the most part. I use HR monitor burn rates "as is", since they are way more accurate than anything else. Burn rates are based on HR levels (based on normal averages and max HR), so for normal people they work very well. If you are a super elite athlete and have a Max HR in the mid 200's, you might not be burning quite as much, but for most people HR burn rates are quite accurate.
  • PrincessNikkiBoo
    Options
    I used to think about deducting my normal burn per hour for just being alive (around 100 calories an hour) and then logging the difference in MFP, but since I don't eat my exercise calories I don't bother. That's a good reason though not to eat ALL exercise calories though

This is what I'm wondering about, when it comes to maintaining my weight I don't want to be over eating. I don't think I'd end up eating them all back anyway, though!
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I had the same question after I read there was a Net vs Gross calorie burn from this calculator

http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/net-versus-gross-calorie-burn-conversion-calculator.aspx

the difference being what you would of burned just being alive in the same time frame.

I looked at it as another way to confuse my already muddled brain, I use a HRM as MFP over estimates for me but I eat few if any of those calories
  • PrincessNikkiBoo
    Options
    I deduct my BMR basic "in a coma calories" from all my totals. Burn 300 calories in 30 minutes, and I log 300 minus (1200/24=50 /2=25 ) so I'd log 275

Interesting. My 400 cals burn over 2 hours this morning would then technically be around 286 cals. That's disheartening!
  • PrincessNikkiBoo
    Options
    I had the same question after I read there was a Net vs Gross calorie burn from this calculator

http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/net-versus-gross-calorie-burn-conversion-calculator.aspx

the difference being what you would of burned just being alive in the same time frame.

I looked at it as another way to confuse my already muddled brain, I use a HRM as MFP over estimates for me but I eat few if any of those calories

Great tool.
  • chervil6
    chervil6 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    at least HRM'S are more accurate then anything else
  • PrincessNikkiBoo
    Options
    at least HRM'S are more accurate then anything else

Very true.
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I log NET calories per my BodyMedia, that is, I subtract what I would have burned if I hadn't worked out (mine works out to about .9 per minute when I'm awake according to the BMF, so that's what I deduct) but the BMF says I'm burning a lot from movement all day that it considers exercise that I would never log, so it evens out. I read somewhere in MFP a few months ago that you should deduct, which is why I started doing it, but it makes MFP numbers even farther off, so not sure you should worry about it. Besides, you are not eating anywhere near all of your calories back.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I have an FT4, I logs 'em as I sees 'em, but I "try" not to eat all my exercise cals back just in case (in fact I try to eat back zero during the week) but usually end up scoffing the lot and then some at the weekend. I still lose, although usually 1 pound a week absolute max.

However if I was trying (which I intend to do now as it's only 9 weeks until my wedding) I would probably only eat 50 -75% of my exercise cals back :)
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT60 and I played around with my numbers and settled in on eating back 85% of my calories burned, leaving 15% for error in logging in whatnot. It has worked for me... Best of Luck
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Surely, MFP has already taken out the basic calories when you set up your default settings so you don't need to deduct them again from your HRM values.

Anyway - for most activities you are talking about 25 - 50 extra calories - that's one biscuit; not a big deal.
  • PrincessNikkiBoo
    Options
    I log NET calories per my BodyMedia, that is, I subtract what I would have burned if I hadn't worked out (mine works out to about .9 per minute when I'm awake according to the BMF, so that's what I deduct) but the BMF says I'm burning a lot from movement all day that it considers exercise that I would never log, so it evens out. I read somewhere in MFP a few months ago that you should deduct, which is why I started doing it, but it makes MFP numbers even farther off, so not sure you should worry about it. Besides, you are not eating anywhere near all of your calories back.

Just researching for when I move to maintenance. :)
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 as well. I have never deducted anything from what it tells me I burn. I also always eat back ALL of my exercise calories. When I "behave," all 7 days, I usually lose over a pound per week.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

I have a Polar FT7.

Thanks.

You can but they are not 100% anyway so you decide if you should or not.

That said an HRM gives you an estimate of total calories burned for the duration of workout. This includes the amount you would have burned at rest had you not worked out, and is already accounted for in your MFP caloric intake. Essential most people burn 1 to 1.75 cals/minute at rest (maintenance calories/24/60), and should technically be backed out of cals burned from the HRM if you are entering them into MFP, as you need extra calories burned due to working out.