I do fine until the weekend comes along

Options
Need advice on how to eat better on the weekends without having to cut down on my social activities. Between dinner with friends, b-day parties, weddings, etc it's really hard not to indulge when you're having such a good time.

Replies

• IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    Well, eating something before you go to events helps and planning ahead when you know the place you are going to, especially if you are going to a resturant. Eating a fruit, salad, or soup helps you be fuller so you can make better choices at event. Now if this does not work don't do it. Sometimes you eat before and then hog out anyway then this does not work for you. I works for me 85% of the time if I had to put a number on it. and I usually eat cheese sticks or 2 fruits. Then I just say I am not hungry if people ask.
  • iwantthis
    iwantthis Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I think that you really need to re evaluate how important it is for you to lose weight, and be healthy. Some people have to make some sacrificies, that's just how it is. Everything in moderation, that's the key. Have a beer, and a glass of wine - have a delicious dessert - just 1, not a bunch. Once you are working on maintaining then I feel like you'll be able to indulge more, but while you're trying to lose you'll have to give up some things. Good luck!
  • loseitlaney
    Options
    I have a busy social life at the weekend so I eat no white carbs, I usually opt for the salad or go for the fish and veg. I exercise in the morning so I have a few extra calories to spare. I do drink wine at the weekend and I just shrug yes it is empty calories but I work it into my allowance.

I have no banned foods, I am finding I can't stomach rich foods anymore, one weekend I did slip and split some tiramisu with my bf and afterwards my tummy felt rotten so it's really put me off trying to do that again.

My bf also carries my fat photo on his iPhone, whenever I say something like let's just get chinese take out, he says oh really and shows me the pic to get me motivated - I guess that's him being kind in his own cruel way. We laugh about it and it works for me.
  • stephlw
    stephlw Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Eating before I go to an event never works for me.
    I don't get to go to many events anymore because I work every weekend now. But working at a hospital as a nurse is awful when the patients think that the best present to give a nurse is a cake or cookies for a thank you.
    I try to remember what my goals are. I plan EXACTLY what I will be eating for the whole day and don't go away from that. My husband always tells me (when I wanna eat something different) "STICK TO THE PLAN"
    I try to remember that it is okay to say no. Its not rude.
    And if you have to eat something sweet; you need to SIT and enjoy it. AND only the first 3 bites matter. In other words, if you are craving it really really bad and you just have to have it...take 3 bites then throw it away..or put salt on it! Can't eat it then.
  • Joscelle
    Joscelle Posts: 93
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel - I was thinking the same thing this morning. I don't have any advice, just wanted to chime in and let you know you're not alone in this. Onward and upward to a better week, I say.
  • tvgal
    tvgal Posts: 87
    Options
    I used to have a HUGE problem on the weekends...well i usually started to fall on Friday night. I would totally undo all of my hard work that week with beer and bar food! which would be fine if i was trying to maintain my weight...not lose. Now i just keep telling myself to just suck it up, quit whining and get the weight off. Then i can re-evaluate and eat that crap once in a while when i'm maintaining. When I'm out with friends, i'll get an iced tea and/or some fruit/veggies at the restaurant, and eat dinner at home before i leave. It's not fun watching them eat burgers and fries, but for now sticking to healthy food is working better for me. Its like a mental tug of war but you just gotta keep at it!!!
  • kwlkr76
    kwlkr76 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I allow myself 1 "splurge day" I guess you'd call it. I do this after my scheduled weigh day. I usually do this one day out of my weekend. It helps me to stay on track all week and the rest of the weekend when I have something to look forward to. I find it easier to resist eating like crap all weekend if I have one planned day to throw it out the window. Then just salad, fish, vegis and fruit the rest of the weekend. I try.... Hope this suggestion helps.
  • ktaylo59
    ktaylo59 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank for the tips. I do need to eat before I go and maybe I won't indulge so much. Really I don't eat out of wack as far as portion sizes goes. I think it's more of the alcohol consumption that may be the problem. I just felt guilty about this past weekend b/c instead of having 1 cheat day I had two and didn't work out at all which I normally would do but I was just going way too much. I'll definitely keep at it but I had to admit the weekends are REALLY hard for me.
  • cindydufield
    cindydufield Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate. I read some of the replys that was rec and the one with a cobs logo got to me - your right i have to reevaluate my goal. Its not like i even do anything but hang out around the house but i need to stick to one day if i need to do this cause i think if i tell myself i cant do it at all i will just blow it. so we are going to have to stick together - i think this week my goal is to log everything including my bad stuff. i dont think i have logged an honest week in over a month.
  • ktaylo59
    Options
    Well up until this past weekend I've been faithful with logging foods. I didn't log the weekend b/c I knew I over did it. Couldn't face seeing those numbers. I'll keep pushing forward. I know the importance of logging everything so try your best to log all foods.
  • kathymurphy
    Options
    also besure to add the bad stuff in, it was an eyeopener to see that four beer was 700 calories! of course i logged them in after i drank them. more fun that way.:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :love: :laugh: :laugh:
  • kathymurphy
    Options
    i just totally blew it this weekend and still lost a pound. How in the world! But i wouldn't recommend it. Just enjoy your weekends and don't go totally crazy. good luck:drinker: :love: :love:
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    This is just my opinion (cause I don't know nothin' and I can prove it!!):

First - Just move on from this event - see it as a reminder of what you need to do to reach your goals.

Now the opinion:

I don't treat the weekend any differently than any other day of the week. I am in a "life changing event" it is not a weekday job that I do and then fall apart on the weekend. This mindset of weekday = good and weekend = bad is a recurring theme in many threads on this (and probably other) sites. That is what you need to focus your change on. You know it's true, but you hold on to the 'oh well it's the weekend' excuse and then you beat yourself up for the next week and then guess what, here comes another weekend. Break this habit. You want to break it I know you do or you would not be here. There is the occasional slip up but this is like it is built into the diet plan.

Only you can be there for you when the food hits the plate. You can do it so go and do it... And even if you overdo it you must make yourself track everything you put in your mouth no matter how bad it looks.
  • ktaylo59
    Options
    @Zebra head - You're absolutely right. I received some good advise and I'll definitely put it to use.
  • medrewiske
    medrewiske Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Weekends are hard for me too. I have a pretty good routine during the week, but the weekends are always different, and I'm running around more. I need to get better at making sure I bring healthy snacks with me.