First proper gym visit - ADVICE PLEASE!

Options
So my university sports membership includes the gym too (I usually just swim) and for a while now I've wanted to start going but have been making excuses not to. I went once a few months ago and did some treadmill time and was so SORE afterwards that I've been putting off going back ever since!

SO, my moral support buddy is back from vacation and tomorrow is the day!

I plan to start the couch to 5k program using the treadmill but I also want to get into a routine of using the other cardio equipment. Can anyone recommend a routine / give me some advice?

Replies

• heartsherps
    heartsherps Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts! It's easy and takes less than an hour. It trains your whole body and you will feel amazing after you start. Even though it's just weight training, I think my cardio has improved, and I'm only a few weeks in.

ETA: oops, I didn't properly read your post 'other cardio equipment'. Erm, try em all out, see which one you enjoy the most, or rotate. And don't go so long or hard or fast that you get burnt out after a day. =]
  • emzilee
    emzilee Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Sorry for sounding dense but what do you mean by strong lifts? Just... lifting?
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    yep doing a combo of lifting (strong lifts is a great beginner's program) and cardio will help with body recomposition since it ensures that you preserve as much lean body mass as possible while you lose weight. the plus side to that is that you will lose a higher percentage of fat which means you'll look much smaller.

as an example i've only lost around 20 pounds but that has corresponded with the loss of 5 pant sizes
  • AdrianPT
    Options
    whats up nice to see your getting back into fitness this is a great start im willing to give u loads of advice and guidance my name is Adrian and im a Personal Trainer if your serious about this i will give u the best progrm with guarenteed results
    add me and keep up this positivity
  • Mlkmaid
    Mlkmaid Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I did the C25K program about three years ago and supplemented it with yoga so I'd be working different muscle groups and stretching. Now, on the days I don't run I walk and/or do yoga. Stairclimbers are good but KILLER! They really work your quads and glutes. Ellipticals are good. Once you're really into running you probably won't want to do any other kind of cardio. Weight training is also a good complement to running.
  • emzilee
    Options
    So I managed to drag myself out of bed and into the snow this morning.

I did the 30 minutes of C25K on the treadmill (walking at around 3.5mph and jogging at 4.7mph), followed by 10 minutes on a seated bike and 18 minutes on the cross trainer.

Does that sound like a good start?
  • emzilee
    Options
    Also, I'd love to get really into running - I've always been jealous of people who seem to be able to run so effortlessly - it's a skill I really value and want to learn to enjoy!
  • emzilee
    Options
    I did the C25K program about three years ago and supplemented it with yoga so I'd be working different muscle groups and stretching. Now, on the days I don't run I walk and/or do yoga. Stairclimbers are good but KILLER! They really work your quads and glutes. Ellipticals are good. Once you're really into running you probably won't want to do any other kind of cardio. Weight training is also a good complement to running.

I've been thinking of trying to get into yoga - a friend has asked me to go with her to a class too. Do you use any DVDs or anything that you can recommend? I imagine I'll be sore by tonight so it might be a good time to start!
  • laura6009
    laura6009 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • emzilee
    Options
    Bump.

So today I went to the gym again - I did week 1 of c25k for the second time (walk 3.5mph, run 4.6mph) and then 16 minutes on the recumbent bike and 18.5 minutes on the elliptical.

Am I doing this right?
  • swaymyway
    swaymyway Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Did you not get some kind of induction? Usually when you join a gym you are given an induction where a member of staff asks you about your goals, shows you how to use various machines and sets you a program to follow if you want one.

Usually there will be members of staff around - you could ask one of them to show you the ropes or ask for their advice, it is what they are there for.

Maybe it's different with it being a uni gym though?
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    Strength train. Its almost impossible for us to tell you how because its important to use proper form. It would be a good idea to get a trainer to at least show you the ropes.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    No, that's too much cardio!

After I get done with a run there is no way I can hop on a bike or cross train.

split it up more.

look at strong lifts or new rules for women lifting. I'm guessing all your friends just do the cardio and the boys go do bench presses and curls all day. You could go the path less traveled and be awesome.

Lift weights (heavy), swim, run combo.

I swam when I was younger, then I got lazy and got all fat and out of shape. I wish I could give you motivation. I truly do. Ether you develop good habits now, or your going to get fat the second you get out of school and stop swimming and running and join the job market.
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I like the thing that looks like an elliptical but also steps like a stepper. I call it the stairliptical. It burns mroe claories and it is harder but not too hard where I die too fast like the stairmaster.
  • iceqieen
    iceqieen Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    look up Strong lifts 5x5, its really good :)

you are doing it right by going, but if you want more out of your visit then go to the lifting area too ;)

best of luck with c25k! stick with it and you WILL be running in a few weeks :D
  • tachyon_master
    tachyon_master Posts: 226 Member
    Options

No. I also go to a uni gym as I'm a professor, and the place is swarming with personal trainers (usually final year/postgraduate sport and exercise science students) whose whole job is to set you up with a fitness program and keep an eye on you.

In my experience, when you pay your annual uni sports membership fee, this usually gets you a minimum 1 hour session with one of the trainers. Just ask at the front desk of the gym about it.
  • emzilee
    Options
    Did you not get some kind of induction? Usually when you join a gym you are given an induction where a member of staff asks you about your goals, shows you how to use various machines and sets you a program to follow if you want one.

Usually there will be members of staff around - you could ask one of them to show you the ropes or ask for their advice, it is what they are there for.

I did have an induction. The guy showed me how to use all of the cardio machines and when I said my goal was weight loss he recommended long-distance walking.

Perhaps I'll ask their advice next time I see them (though they don't seem to be around much!). I'd like some advice on strength-related things as there's only so much one can read online!

Is it too much cardio? As in, I realise now I should balance more with strength, but is a lot of cardio detrimental? I mean, I use the recumbent bike to bring my heart rate down before taking it back up on the elliptical.

Thanks for the advice everyone.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options

I've been thinking of trying to get into yoga - a friend has asked me to go with her to a class too. Do you use any DVDs or anything that you can recommend? I imagine I'll be sore by tonight so it might be a good time to start!

Yoga is great for stretching out those muscles after a hard workout. Indeed a complete exercise routine should consist of strength training, cardio, and stretching (I.e. yoga/Pilates etc.).

If you wanted a DVD Cathe Friedrich has some great 'Stretch Max' routines. You can buy them as DVDs from her site or download to use on your PC/iPad/iPod etc. (cathedownloads.com)
  • emzilee
    Options

No. I also go to a uni gym as I'm a professor, and the place is swarming with personal trainers (usually final year/postgraduate sport and exercise science students) whose whole job is to set you up with a fitness program and keep an eye on you.

Really? I'll have to keep an eye out - the three times I've been I've barely seen any staff at all!

I'll ask next time I'm there!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Ask them to show you how to do a squat, bench press and dead lift.

.. Oh and do your running/cardio after you lift.