I can't believe I am saying my weight out loud!

Options
Ok here we go. I’m 52 female, married to a man who can eat everything and still weigh the same he did in high school. Everyone in my family has never had a weight concern but my Father, who always struggled. Yes, I am Daddy’s little girl for sure. I have always been “chubby” a size 15/16 since about 13 yrs old until 10 years ago when the weight just started to pack on. At my heaviest last Jan I/12 was a size 3X @ 296 lbs. Believe me I know why the weight packed on, I ate it! Now I am 220. I have just cut back on portion size, sugar and started to walk the dogs. I was rather happy to see the weight slowly come off, but I still was not giving 100%. Dec 21/12 I was in an accident and fractured my jaw and due to heavy mouth damage I have to get all my upper teeth pulled. Jan 11/13 I had the pin put in my jaw and all but my front 5 teeth pulled. I am pretty much on a liquid/soft food diet until April 19 when I get the remainder of my top teeth pulled and lovely movie star dentures  (Sarcasm, I am not thrilled about this). I am pretty much limited to liquids/soft food until after April 19 and then have to adjust to eating with dentures. I figured this is a good time to revamp my nutrition and change my eating habits. I have found that ¾ through the workday I am very fatigued and on occasion dizzy which is due to the very reduced food intake. I keep reading to find ways to get good nutrition in to me with my limited diet. It would be great to have some friends on here to buddy up with, get tips and ideas from and simply be able to talk to people who understand what it’s like. Thanks for listening.

Replies

• nickielouise36
    nickielouise36 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    omg u poor thing hope u r feeling a bit better... im nicola.. ive had no experience with what u r dealing with but i was 220 lbs beginging of 2013... my only suggestion would be to blend protein , will keep u fuller for longer not that that will be great to drink but might help the dizzy spells.. lots of veggies nd fruits .. im in the uk.. but would of thought ur doctor would of helped u with some sort of diet... good luck feel free to add me .. xxxxx
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    sounds like you have had a tough time...

as for the food, you can blend pretty much anything. to keep your cals up drink full fat milk. you could get a protein powder for extra protein and then you can throw as much fruit and veg in a blender as you like.

have a look at the recipe section for some savoury smoothies - spinach and whatnot so you are getting all the nutrients you need.

i have got frozen summer fruits in my freezer that i mix with vanilla protein powder and milk for a yummy breakfast smoothie and one of my 5 a day.
  • randysbombshellgirl
    randysbombshellgirl Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Hello 1rst of all let me say good for you making a healthy life style change. MFP is a wonderful tool that had helped me drop 26 pounds and be in the best shape of my life. I wish I had some helpful tips for your unique situation (that really suxs) Maybe adding a vitamin regimen might help with the lack of energy I'd check with your doctor. I wish you the best and stick with it you'll get there!!!
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear about your accident!

My daughter had jaw surgery a few years ago (she was 14) and was wired shut for 6 weeks. We were told to have her drink a minimum of two cans of Ensure (liquid diet that is frequently used by cancer patients) daily to make sure she was getting all the vitamins and protein she needed. Then on top of that anything she could manage to drink. Hers was a true "liquid" diet because anything she took in had to pass between her teeth. She drank a lot of whole chocolate milk. She only lost about 2lbs (but the goal was to maintain her weight so this was a good thing). We tried blending fruit smoothies but the fibers in the fruit would block the spaces between her teeth (there was a plastic bite plate wired in between her upper and lower teeth). She then spent two weeks on soft food (with the plastic bite plate wired to her top teeth only and her lower teeth free). At that point she could eat pretty much anything mashed up (except meat) and getting nutrition was a lot easier.

I guess it will depend on the degree of your liquid diet how to go about it. Protien shakes with real fruit would be excellent if you are able to drink them. You may need to supplement this with liquid vitamins. If you can't manage something that thick, you may need to look at a prepared nutritional drink like Ensure. It's important to make sure you are getting enough vitamins and calories.

My daughters doctors had given us a ton of brochures with information on liquid diets and were very clear that a 5lbs loss would require her to be hospitalized for nutritional supplements (however she was a very fit slim 14 year old so not the same situation as you). They were happy that she only lost 2lbs during the liquid diet phase. I'm sure your doctors are monitoring your losses to make sure it's not too much too fast. My only concern would be the dizzy spells you describe. Make sure you advise the doctors of the symptoms and follow their recommendations.

Good luck with your upcoming procedure and I'm sure your new pearly whites will be movie star fabulous!
  • hspower50
    Options
    Wow! You've already proven how strong you are through this struggle! You can do this! If you need a fitness pal, count me in!
  • dchrismer
    Options
    Wow you got so much going on! I am 65 and weighed 299 a little over 1 year ago. Weight @ 251 now & kind of flat losing right now. I'm a type 2 diabetic so things are slow. Trying to lose another 70 lbs. My wife is a life time member of Weight Watchers, proud of her achievement. Add me as a friend if you like. Sure feel for you with all you have to go through.
  • judyrumbold
    Options
    How awful for you. Not only do you have the jaw injury but to lose your teeth for a girl is gutting. You are being very brave and have my support if you need it.
    As to liquid diet I would ask to be referred to a nutritionalist at the hospital as I don't think you are getting enough help from them in ensuring you keep well whilst they sort out your mouth. Roni writes a lot of sense and Ensure or Fresubin are liquid supplements that you can add to other things to make them have more variety.
    Ice cream is also soothing added to milkshakes and gelatin or Jellies to thicken things to give a bit of substance. Advocado, sweet potato and banana can also give a soup or shake a different texture and flavour. Good luck but get the hospital to tell you what you need to boast your vitamins and minerals.
    Look forward to seeing your new smile.