why did i gain?!

I know u shouldnt weigh daily but i do the wii fit body test every day so it does my weight too and i havent had a gain thus far but today i put on half a pound even though i only ate about 1350 cals yesterday....how is that possible?! Losing faith in this...

Replies

• sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    check your sodium intake for yesterday. I KNOW I am retaining water ( 7-10lbs) today after eating out 2x yesterday. Today the scale is 5lbs heavier and I can see the swelling in my fingers...
  • debi_f
    debi_f Posts: 330 Member
    I weigh myself daily, and the number bounces around. That's just how it works. There are all kinds of reasons it may have happened: water weight, hormones, too much sodium (and thus the water), other things moving along more slowly this morning....

Take it in stride. (Yes, the up days suck, and the down days are better.) as long as you're heading in the right general direction, that's all that matters.
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    awww c'mon...one day and only a half a pound fluctuation and now you are losing faith in this dot dot dot...? Really?

It could be anything from change of weather...salt intake...you could have had a glass of water before you stepped on the wii...anything.

Stick with it. Stop trying to give yourself an easy out. You will love yourself for it in the end.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    I weigh every day - my weight jumps up and down by up to 3lbs a day....
    So what? It's just a number!! As long as the general trend is down over a long period of time it really doesn't signify anything significant from day to day.

You are here to lose fat not "weight".
  • deladypilot
    deladypilot Posts: 618 Member
    I weigh myself daily, and the number bounces around. That's just how it works. There are all kinds of reasons it may have happened: water weight, hormones, too much sodium (and thus the water), other things moving along more slowly this morning....

Take it in stride. (Yes, the up days suck, and the down days are better.) as long as you're heading in the right general direction, that's all that matters.

I agree with this totally. Your weight is going to go up and down daily for the rest of your life, its just how the body acts. So keep on doing what you have been as as said, if the overall direction is down, then you are doing great. Also be mindful that the Wii is not the best of scales and everytime you move a scale it has the opportunity to become unbalanced
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    One big thing I learned at Weight Watchers is that sometimes it can take a while (a couple of weeks even) for your weight to reflect your eating/exercise. This works both ways (for example, you might actually lose weight the week after a lazy, food-filled vacation, but then then the gain shows up after you've gotten back on track). Just keep taking good care of your body through good nutrition and adequate exercise and it will pay off in the long run.
  • I can gain (or lose) up to 3 lbs in one day!! I do weigh every day just to stop myself the day before from eating something I know I should not eat. Just keep on track and you will see - one day it will drop!!!
  • fizzletto
    fizzletto Posts: 252 Member
    The one thing you HAVE to understand is that our bodies are organic, not mathematic. We don't lose weight in a linear fashion. You won't lose the same amount of weight every day until the day you reach your goal. Your weight can fluctuate up to FIVE POUNDS in just ONE DAY alone. It depends on tons of things: how much sodium (salt) you've eaten (lots of salt makes your body retain water, meaning it says you've gained on the scale when you really haven't); whether it's the 'time of month' or not (I'm always heavier at that time); how much the food you've eaten has physically weighed, whether or not you've been to the toilet, how much you've been exercising and a million other things.

You CANNOT expect to lose consistently. Your weight WILL go up and down from day to day, it's just how bodies work, and there's nothing you can do to prevent that from happening. As long as over the weeks and months, it's generally going down, then you're heading in the right direction. Weighing every day is the quickest way to lose 'faith'.
  • Garfunklette
    Garfunklette Posts: 22 Member
    So, the more important questions: how do you feel? Are you losing inches? Are you more fit? Skip the scale, get out the measuring tape and take some pictures. They'll tell you way more about what's working than that happily fluctuating number.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Seriously!!? Your ready to chuck in the towel after a half pound gain!!? Come on girl! Don't be daft, it's just a tiny blip in the grand scheme of things. Chin up and resume normal service!!
  • quixoteQ
    quixoteQ Posts: 484
    1. Get on a scale. Record weight. Get off scale.
    2. Drink a gallon of water.
    3. Get on a scale. Record weight.
    4. Learn that things you eat and drink have weight.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Weight loss is not linear, we fluctuate throughout the day depending on what we've consumed/bathroom habits/water retention etc. Unless you consumed 1750 extra calories you haven't put on 1/2lb of fat, it's more likely water retention. Check your sodium intake for the past couple of days and make sure you drink enough water :flowerforyou: