Gained 3 lbs

Options
So I weighed myself this weekend and was "OK" with it. I gained a bit of lbs but I really think it is all muscle. I noticed my legs have trimmed down, as well as other parts. My stomach could be better though......

Replies

• crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I hate to sound negative, but it's really, really difficult to gain muscle. It's a common myth amongst dieters/lifestyle changers. You need to have a calorie surplus to build muscle, not deficit as when you're losing weight. It's why strength training is a great thing to do when losing weight - don't necessarily build much muscle, but you don't lose as much as you would with just straight cardio and dieting.

Most likely, especially if you've been exercising or have increased sodium intake, it's water retention. I think it's great that you see yourself more trimmed down, and I wouldn't worry too much about 3 lbs. Whatever you are doing is obviously working, so don't let this weigh in get to you. :smile:
  • wendyannhall
    wendyannhall Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Great job! Stay positive... if you can see the difference, so can everyone else!
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    I hate to sound negative, but it's really, really difficult to gain muscle. It's a common myth amongst dieters/lifestyle changers. You need to have a calorie surplus to build muscle, not deficit as when you're losing weight. It's why strength training is a great thing to do when losing weight - don't necessarily build much muscle, but you don't lose as much as you would with just straight cardio and dieting.

Most likely, especially if you've been exercising or have increased sodium intake, it's water retention. I think it's great that you see yourself more trimmed down, and I wouldn't worry too much about 3 lbs. Whatever you are doing is obviously working, so don't let this weigh in get to you. :smile:

That's not true at all. Building muscle is what helps you burn fat. I am not a big person so I notice when my arms, abs, esp legs, are stronger. I don't have much fat on me and I notice every change in my body. Also I have been doing intervals of INTENSE weight training. Lots of different squats, lunges and pushups. It is impossible to "not gain muscle" if I am adding weight training that intense.
  • whyflysouth
    whyflysouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I don't want to jump in but healthy_is_best is probably right in saying that the added weight increase is not muscle, as it usually takes up to 6 weeks for new muscle mass to be built in any measurable way. That's not to say you aren't getting stronger for the first 6 weeks of training, you actually get much stronger, but strength doesn't just come from muscle mass...

Initially that strength that you get is the improved strength that you get from lifting is due to neuromuscular adaptations rather than from hypertrophy (the build up of muscle mass).

As for the point about needing a caloric surplus to build muscle, I'm not in complete agreement with that. I do believe muscle can be gained from a caloric deficit but it will be slower and it will require you to consume an excess of protein and ensure that your deficit is from the carbs and not protein loss. I think that can be done.

But getting back to the original point, I'd highly recommend you read this article on it:

http://skinnybulkup.com/neural-adaptations-during-strength-training/

Here's a quote from it:

As strength increases, neural adaptation eventually gives way to hypertrophy

In the first six weeks of a strength training program, a novice will be able to increase the weight lifted. This steady rate of strength increase is almost wholly due to neural adaptation.

Later, after approximately six weeks, the novice’s neural adaptation is complete and additional strength gains will come only as a result of hypertrophy or increased muscle size. There is scientific evidence which shows that hypertrophy is only fully “switched on” when neural adaptations to strength training are complete.