Too much Protein?

Options
I've noticed that whilst i'm concentrating on calories per day and sticking to my allowance, i'm always over when it comes to protein, is this a bad thing?

28920330.png

Replies

• beautifulbeast11
    beautifulbeast11 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    No way lady. I'm always over my protein on MFP. MFP's recommendation is super low...
  • Jax_30
    Jax_30 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    If you have a good workout regimen protein is your friend, it helps with a couple of things, keeps you feeling full longer and assist's in the repairing of your muscles. Protein rocks for active people. Also, Cmarieleep is correct MFP's protein level are too low.
  • bpjoyce
    Options
    Most of the information i have read says tha you should be eating about .75g - 1g of protein per pound that you weigh. That will vary a little bit based on how active you are. I actually try and eat about 115-120g of protein a day and I weigh 127. But I am also training for 12+ races this year and doing a lot of strength training. I have updated mfp to reflect my goals! Everyone will have their own opinion about this! good luck!
  • danieyell1969
    Options
    I ws having the same problem and was told that mfp is way to low!!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    No way lady. I'm always over my protein on MFP. MFP's recommendation is super low...

Agree
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    In a healthy person, and if you're not sedentary, going way over your protein needs COULD be a waste of money. But other than that, for a non sedentary person, it's fine to eat more than MFP puts on your profile by default. But don't skip the complex carbs, you need those, too!
  • wildchild06241
    wildchild06241 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I am under on my protien. I don't know why. What are you eating that gives you so much protien?
  • geocookie
    geocookie Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Actually, it's a GOOD thing because dieting can lead to reduction in muscle tissue if your body gets too little protein. By eating ample protein, you're more likely to maintain muscle mass and that is important because muscle is the main aspect of your metabolism rate. The more muscle you have, the more calories you burn. So having a lot of protein is a GOOD thing and I strive to go over in the protein category! :-D
  • WVprankster
    WVprankster Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    MFP's protein recommendations are too low for most active adults. If you want to adjust the protein "allowance," you can do so from the "goals" tab iirc.
  • Tann33
    Tann33 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing. Thanks for this post.
  • DirtGlitters
    Options
    I eat a lot of fish, chicken, nuts and wholewheat i guess thats it! :) I hope that helps
  • DirtGlitters
    Options
    I am under on my protien. I don't know why. What are you eating that gives you so much protien?
    [/quote

I eat a lot of fish, chicken, nuts and wholewheat i guess thats it! :) I hope that helps
  • DirtGlitters
    Options
    Ok, *phew* thanks everyone!