Alternative Ab exercise?

Options
I am wondering if anyone can suggest an alternative ab exercise to the basic "sit-up "... (Knees bent, elbows behind head).
I have so much trouble with this one exercise that I end up wanting to avoid working out my abs at all. But I don't know of another exercise that would work the same area ( lower abs?)
Thanks

Replies

• neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Google it. I found this link in 3 seconds. http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/get-rock-solid-abs

There were many other links.
  • ladywendolyn
    ladywendolyn Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thanks I will check it out...
  • jc1231
    jc1231 Posts: 67
    Options
    I don't like sit ups either because I find they put strain on my back and neck. Maybe I am not doing them right? But, I will say I now do crunches on an exercise ball and it does not hurt and I like them! Pilates are great too.
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not Hula Hooping is great for the abs, and a weighted hoop even ads a little more work. Fun, easy, and upright. Don't make the mistake of using a kids hoop too small for adults. A lot of people have told me they can't hoop and I put them in a larger hoop and suddenly they can. The larger the hoop the easier it is to do. The heavier (and larger will equate to heavier) the more of an ab work you get.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    In b4 planking
  • FLCullen
    FLCullen Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I loathe crunches, and have actually cut them out of my exercise routine entirely. I have recently taken up lifting and am finding squatting and strength exercises with the stability ball (where you rest your head, neck and part of your shoulders on the ball and use your body as a 'bridge'- , feet flat, knees bent and at right angles to the floor, hips raised and bum firmly clenched) and they are working wonders all over. Also, a very slim friend of mine once told me that when she's walking she holds her tummy in tight every time she passes a lampost, then lets it out at the next one, in again at the next one etc. I now do different variations of this when I'm on the treadmill (e.g. in for a song, out for a song).

Sure, I'll never have rock hard abs, but it is better than no ab work out at all!
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Any exercise you can do, if done with proper form, will work your abs. Other than the all-nighter I pulled with my wife on our first night together, I don't think my abs have ever been as sore as they were when I did a workout consisting of 100 pull ups, 100 dips, and 100 pushups.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    My favorite is to lay flat on my back and pull both legs up together.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    In b4 planking

lol
  • Chief_Rocka
    Options
    Any exercise you can do, if done with proper form, will work your abs.

Toe curls?
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Leg lifts. Much more challenging than crunches and without the neck strain. Lay on your back. With your legs straight, lift them to 90 degrees. Lower them. Go through the motion slowly and make sure your legs are absolutely straight for the greatest effect.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

Toe curls?

I was always taught to tighten my abs for any exercise... So if you tighten your abs when curling your toes, I'm sure that will work, too.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Options

Toe curls?

I was always taught to tighten my abs for any exercise... So if you tighten your abs when curling your toes, I'm sure that will work, too.

That's quite a broad definition of "working" a muscle
  • domgirl85
    domgirl85 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    search fitnessmagazine.com click on ab exercises.....or any "health and fitness" magazine really.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    To be perfectly honest the best ab exercises aren't exercises that target the abs, but rather full body compound movements. The abs, in their natural role in the human body, are there to support the spine and stabilize. Having them fulfill their natural role in training is the BEST way to train them. Weights exercises like deadlifts, squats, and thrusters, kettlebell training, and basic calisthenics exercises such as pushups, pullups, and planks (with planks, ESPECIALLY plank walk-ups) are all far superior to exercises that "target" the abs. When done right, a good training regimen should not include any abs isolation training, since that in and of itself is something only done when the rest of your training isn't efficient.
  • ilikepandasyay
    ilikepandasyay Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    twists, bicycles, cross over toe touches on your back with your legs up in the air, reverse crunches (lay on your back and put your legs in table top position, them bring them out and in) crunches instead of sit ups (you don't go up as high, just lift up your shoulders). planks :P inchworms.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    "Full" leg raises where you get your hips off the ground: http://youtu.be/4QPLLRzsqBc

Can do them lying on the ground - just put your hands on the floor to stabilise. The key bit is to get your *kitten* off the ground or you'll just hit the hip flexors and a bit of the lower abs.
  • chelsifina
    chelsifina Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    IF possible, I would seriously look into pilates if you want to completely transform your abs. TO do it right, go to a class with a knowledgeable teacher, and your body will be completely changed. I"ve been doing pilates for a number of years now and I have better abs now (37 and 2 kids) than I did when I was a 16 year old and on dance team. And I was no slouch on dance team! My husband is 43 and was recently ranked #1 amateur tennis player in Texas for his age group, and after 6 months of pilates his abs look better than they ever have. It might be more of an investment of time and money than you were considering, but if you find a good class with a good teacher, not a bit of that investment would be wasted.