I really just want opinions

Options
I have set my goal and I am 29 pounds away from my ultimate goal weight. I just started this weight loss journey a couple of weeks ago (just had a baby recently). Anywho, is it realistic to think that I can lose that weight in 5 months? I just want to set realistic goals and not disappoint myself. I exercise 6 days a week and I eat right everyday. Around 1200 net calories a day. I am 5'7" and 164 pounds and I would like to get down to 135. Thanks!

Replies

• Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    5 months seems perfectly reasonable if you are dedicated to it
  • Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    Just remember the last few pounds are the hardest to lose. My goal is 130 and I have been fluctuating between 134-137 for 3 months, doing all the right things, eating well and exercising. Good luck. Sometimes your body just doesn't cooperate at the end the way it did in the beginning and middle.
  • mandipandi75
    mandipandi75 Posts: 6,035 Member
    Options
    It is attainable. Just stay focused. Good luck!
  • cedarghost
    cedarghost Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    where did you get the 1200 from? If you are eating to little, you will likely stall before you hit your goal.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I have set my goal and I am 29 pounds away from my ultimate goal weight. I just started this weight loss journey a couple of weeks ago (just had a baby recently). Anywho, is it realistic to think that I can lose that weight in 5 months? I just want to set realistic goals and not disappoint myself. I exercise 6 days a week and I eat right everyday. Around 1200 net calories a day. I am 5'7" and 164 pounds and I would like to get down to 135. Thanks!
    I think 7 months would be more realistic, unless you're a fiend about it. Quicker isn't always better.
  • arains89
    arains89 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    where did you get the 1200 from? If you are eating to little, you will likely stall before you hit your goal.

Well 1200 Net Calories. I add in my exercise calories and eat them as well. I generally burn around 400 calories a day so I guess I am really eating around 1600 calories. This is a healthy number if you want to lose 1.5-2 pounds a week. I never let myself go hungry or feel deprieved.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Well 1200 Net Calories. I add in my exercise calories and eat them as well. I generally burn around 400 calories a day so I guess I am really eating around 1600 calories. This is a healthy number if you want to lose 1.5-2 pounds a week. I never let myself go hungry or feel deprieved.

i would work on losing 1lb per week... you may find you stop losing fairly soon if you net 1200 given your stats - you only have a fairly small amount to lose, so 1lb per week will get you there sooner and help you preserve lean mass while you do it. too large a deficit and your body will burn muscle for energy.
  • Debbs83
    Debbs83 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I think that you should aim for 1 pound per week. As you get closer to your goal, weight loss may be a bit slower. I am 5 pounds away and shooting for .5 pounds per week. So, in five months you should lose about 20 pounds.
  • bluecrayonz
    bluecrayonz Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    weight loss isn't an exact science. every person is different and their body reacts differently to changes. instead of basing ur successes off of weight loss base them off of your eating right and exercising because thats the only thing thats really in your control.
  • BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348
    Options
    How long ago did you have the baby? If it was really recent, I think your goal is absolutely doable because a lot of the initial baby weight may fall right off. I gave birth (as a surrogate) at the end of May 2012 and was about 185 a few days after he was born. After 5 months of eating right and exercising (very slowly at first of course) I was down to about 145 and have lost some more since then even (I'm 5'10" for reference). It sounds like you've got a good plan. I would recommend adjusting your loss goal to .5 lbs per week once you get within 10lbs of your goal though to minimize muscle loss and make the transition to maintenance smoother.
  • arains89
    arains89 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    How long ago did you have the baby? If it was really recent, I think your goal is absolutely doable because a lot of the initial baby weight may fall right off. I gave birth (as a surrogate) at the end of May 2012 and was about 185 a few days after he was born. After 5 months of eating right and exercising (very slowly at first of course) I was down to about 145 and have lost some more since then even (I'm 5'10" for reference). It sounds like you've got a good plan. I would recommend adjusting your loss goal to .5 lbs per week once you get within 10lbs of your goal though to minimize muscle loss and make the transition to maintenance smoother.

I had her in September so almost 4 months ago. I left the hospital at 186 and am down to 164 now.
  • awal2069
    awal2069 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I think you will do great, sounds like you have already done an amazing job.
    good Luck sweetie!