Good exercise for pull-ups

What's a good exercise to gain strength for pull ups. I already do pull ups, but I want an alternative to strengthen for them. I really need something else I can work on, and maybe alternate days on my pull up days with some other types. I don't think pull downs are the same at all, they don't fell the same.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Pullups really require no assistance exercises. Use various grips (overhand, underhand, neutral, wide) and add weight when you can.

Horizontal pulls, rows, will largely work similar muscles except they also have a scapular control component. There are lots of ways to do rows: DB rows, barbell rows, cable rows, inverted rows (pullups with your legs elevated to pullup bar height, the opposite of a pushup).

If you are stronger (and ambitious), you could begin working on the front lever family of exercises, either static holds or rep based work. The front lever family of exercises can be taken to very, very high resitances and is considered a horizontal pull. Not to mention it is one of the coolest things the human body can do. The front lever family includes static holds, lever rows, ice cream makers, and pull throughs. In general though you aren't strong enough to even do the easiest exercise in the front lever family until you can do about 10 pullups (in a single set).
  • schicksa
    schicksa Posts: 123 Member
    Have you done any TRX stuff? It doesn't require as much strength as just a straight pull-up, but you can really isolate the smaller muscle groups in your upper body and strengthen those (which will in turn, strengthen your pull-up).
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Have you done any TRX stuff? It doesn't require as much strength as just a straight pull-up, but you can really isolate the smaller muscle groups in your upper body and strengthen those (which will in turn, strengthen your pull-up).

I have never heard of a plan to increase pullup numbers that includes isolation work.

If you want to do lots and lots of pullups, do lots and lots of pullups, weighted and unweighted.

The only assistance exercise that I know of that adds to the pullup progression (that isn't doing pullups/chinups) is rope climbing. However this is not particularly useful for 2 arms pullups. But, it you are looking to learn to do one arm chins, once you can bang out 20-30 pullups, no leg assist rope climbing will be one of the best things you can do to progress toward one arm chins. Progressively weighted pulls are useful too, but the nuances of single limb vs. bilateral work make rope climbs a little more effective.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    If you want to do lots and lots of pullups, do lots and lots of pullups
    This was my initial thought.

What about dumbbell pullovers?

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/PectoralSternal/DBPullover.html
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    You can look at the muscles hit by doing pullups, and do other exercises to build the musculature of those muscles. It wouldn't be a strictly 'build your pullup' plan, because as Waldo said for that you should just do more pullups and pullup variants, but it could increase strength and build mass allowing for further development.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/LatissimusDorsi/BWPullup.html

So basically trap stuff, but building your whole back is a good idea anyway:

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/ExList/BackWt.html

Some arm work wouldn't hurt either.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    The reason I ask is this. I can do pull-ups. Maybe 8 or 10. But, I get this really bad pain in my left trap, I think. It's a weird and bad pain. It's not one to push through. I've learned that lesson the hard way in the past. I also get a very odd, and difficult to explain, right shoulder-ish pain (not really shoulder, but front shoulder to side of neck, like right where the collar bone is. Like crazy tight muscle pain for weeks, if I strain and push, or pull.). So, what I want to do is do pull-ups, my pull up day is once a week, and then on alternate weeks, do alternative exercise to help strengthen whatever the hell is going on in there.

It truly feels like muscle issue and not something else. I think some isolation in those areas may help a little.

I expected people to say if you want to do pull-ups, do pull-ups because that's the kind of exercise it is. So, I wanted to explain a little but about why I want to maybe add some alternative strength exercises.
  • DEUS
    DEUS Posts: 4
    waldo56 - If you want to do lots and lots of pullups, do lots and lots of pullups, weighted and unweighted.

^^ this
    Grease the groove, everytime you pass the bar do as many as you can.
    When doing your workout add weighted pull ups and concentrate on good form. On your last set do unweighted and just do them to failure. Also negatives are a great way to go to increase your strength and grip. Slowly lower yourself from the top all the way down to full hanging and then pause and reset i always finish on these!

As for the pain your feeling, do you do many back stretches? I would recommend foam rolling on that specific area
    Between pull up sessions work your other back muscles doing Bent over rows and lat pulldowns even Cobra to work your traps and rhomboids.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Thanks. Last time I did them, I did a good warm up, then stretched, them did some light weight trap work and stretching. It was much better. I think the problem is not properly warming up, because I HATE warming up. It boring and annoying. I'll add foam rolling to the mix also.

Thanks.
  • triciaj66
    triciaj66 Posts: 253 Member
    Good read thanks guy!!!!! I can only do one LOL i am wanting to do 10 someday ..