Nutritionist: Helpful or not?

Options
Has anyone ever seen a nutritionist? Does their advise help with weightloss? I have an appointment with one in February. I just don't want to waist my time.

Replies

• nsondy
    nsondy Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your state. Nutritionists do not have the same requirements as dietitians, who must be certified, so if you can, I would suggest seeing a dietician.
  • mrsnecincy
    mrsnecincy Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I think it depends what you are trying to achieve. My friend has one she also studies it and has a PT and goes to WW it's not surprising she gets confused by conflicting info! If you're following a plan of sorts the big corps and the successful dieticians will all be qualified to help but if you are following a healthy diet with all the right nutrirents in the right proprtions I'm not sure why you'd need one. Unless you have specific concerns and wanted an opinion but you may get your answers here and save your cash!
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    RD or GTFO
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    RD or GTFO

MFP phd or gtfo
  • mariabraceyrobinson
    Options
    It really depends on your state. Nutritionists do not have the same requirements as dietitians, who must be certified, so if you can, I would suggest seeing a dietician.

Thanks. She is licensed & her partner as well
  • mariabraceyrobinson
    Options
    I think it depends what you are trying to achieve. My friend has one she also studies it and has a PT and goes to WW it's not surprising she gets confused by conflicting info! If you're following a plan of sorts the big corps and the successful dieticians will all be qualified to help but if you are following a healthy diet with all the right nutrirents in the right proprtions I'm not sure why you'd need one. Unless you have specific concerns and wanted an opinion but you may get your answers here and save your cash!

Fortunately for me, its free with my health insurance. I don't do WW. i don't like all the writing down & figuring out points. I'm looking to change my overall eating habits on a permanent basis.
  • mariabraceyrobinson
    Options
    RD or GTFO

MFP phd or gtfo

I don't know what any of that means. I write in English. That text shorthand is beyond me, sorry.
  • Bobtheangrytomato
    Bobtheangrytomato Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I saw one, if it's free I'd go (mine was also covered by insurance). They gave me some tips and ideas for low calorie snacks which I found useful.
  • Angie__1MR
    Angie__1MR Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    RD or GTFO

MFP phd or gtfo

I don't know what any of that means. I write in English. That text shorthand is beyond me, sorry.

RD = registered dietician
  • CGPrincessWarrior
    CGPrincessWarrior Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have a nutritionist and I love her! We're friends here and she's able to look at my stuff and make suggestions when needed. If you know how to eat and what to eat and all that, sometimes it would be a waste of time because they do go over all the basics of portion control and eating veggies and all that stuff. BUT if they're good they'll be able to look at your diary and figure out what you can be doing better. I really love my nutritionist and love having her as a friend on here so she can check up on me :)
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I never did, but I might when I get back on the weight-loss wagon post-partum to get some new ideas about food.

I don't see how it can hurt, but just make sure you do your own homework on the advice she gives you especially if it sounds kookey.

I also second seeing a legit RD (registered dietitian) instead of a nutritionist.

Here's a good writeup of the difference between the two and why it matters: http://eclkc.ohs.acf.hhs.gov/hslc/tta-system/health/Health/Nutrition/Nutrition Program Staff/WhatAretheDiff.htm
  • starjumper12
    Options
    HAHAHA "waist my time". that's funny!

i went to a nutritionist (because i was trying to get pregnant, losing weight was just a side bar) and she helped me put together quality foods that my body needs. i'm allergic to some nuts and most seeds, so she helped me work around that. i have serious hormonal issues, so there are foods that promote and aggravate for those. i actually gained MORE weight while i was seeing her because she told me not to worry about the quantity of food, just the right foods... that might work for some people but for me it's both - quality foods helps me get the right stuff i need for my body while eating at a deficit helps me to drop weight.
  • mariabraceyrobinson
    Options
    HAHAHA "waist my time". that's funny!

i went to a nutritionist (because i was trying to get pregnant, losing weight was just a side bar) and she helped me put together quality foods that my body needs. i'm allergic to some nuts and most seeds, so she helped me work around that. i have serious hormonal issues, so there are foods that promote and aggravate for those. i actually gained MORE weight while i was seeing her because she told me not to worry about the quantity of food, just the right foods... that might work for some people but for me it's both - quality foods helps me get the right stuff i need for my body while eating at a deficit helps me to drop weight.

I didn't even realize I did that! Thanks for the input.
  • mariabraceyrobinson
    Options
    RD or GTFO

MFP phd or gtfo

RD = registered dietician

Thanks. I would have never figured that out.
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    If it is free with your insurance then go for it. Otherwise you can find everything you need to know on the internet. You just gotta be careful, there's a lot of crap out there
  • Diamondmortiz
    Diamondmortiz Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks for bringing this topic up because I have been working with one through my insurance (as it is free) and she was telling me that I should not have as much protein as I am taking which is one scoop in the morning and one after my workout. I lift weights and want to get toned. She told me just half a scoop a day is fine and to not really supplement just eat the foods because too much is hard on my kidneys...I believe that might have some truth but I am far from overdoing protein intake . She also told met that i should not be working out more than 3...so I obviously I have done my own research and I feel she is really off, at least from what I am trying to accomplish. Just my experience.