Creatine and Women???

Options
I work out 5-6/wk (3 strength training days that top off with 30 mins of cardio and 3 Cardio-only days). I already take isolated whey protein shake after each workout.

I've read that Creatine will help me work out more efficiently (more reps, etc)...I've also read about the water retention and water weight gain (doesn't worry me, as I don't really care what number the scale is spitting out if the inches keep falling off and the muscles continue to appear).

My goals are to well...look awesome naked (lean, defined, athletic but not super-ripped or bulky). I'm getting there but I want to know if Creatine will help me along...

Anybody using creatine? What's been your experience? (doesn't matter if you are guy or a gal...) I just want to hear as many opinions/points-of -view as possible before I make a decision.

17420081.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Thanks!

Replies

• maruxf
    maruxf Posts: 39
    Options
    bump..
  • ericarae33
    ericarae33 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Creatine can help some people, sometimes.

If there is a single dietary supplement in existence that can be said to work, creatine is probably it. With several hundred studies supporting it’s effectiveness and safety, creatine is arguably with one the must-have supplements for most athletes including team and mixed sports athletes (with a few notes made below).

Creatine has been shown to positively impact all manners of performance measures ranging from repeat sprint performance to weight room performance and others (if creatine has a negative impact it is typically on endurance due to a slight weight gain that occurs). Most of the reported side-effects of creatine have not been borne out by research (see comments on cramping in the previous chapter) and the biggest danger of creatine use is a slight weight gain of 1-2 kg due to water retention.

For athletes who need to make weight, this can be a problem and, as noted in the chapter on hydration and cramping, will increase fluid requirements. Even those athletes who need to make a certain weight class can use creatine supplementation during their main training phase and go off at least one month before competition; this will give the body time to get rid of the extra water and drop the weight.

While a number of ‘high-tech’ creatines have come and gone, for the most part bulk creatine monohydrate works as effectively, if not more effectively, than the other types. The only possible exception is a micronized creatine which can be useful for athletes who have stomach problems with the standard monohydrate. All of the other variations on creatine (i.e. creatine ethyl-ester) are no more effective but do cost more.

Traditionally, creatine has been supplemented one of three ways, which I’ve described below:

The method used in the studies was to consume 20 grams of creatine in 4X5 g doses per day for 5 days. While this loads the muscle with creatine the fastest, it can also cause stomach upset in some people. A less aggressive protocol would be to consume 10 g/day of creatine for 10 days. While this will take longer to reach saturation levels, most people report less stomach problems. Finally, creatine can simply be taken at a dose of 3-5 grams per day for roughly a month.

The only difference in approaches is the speed of loading. Athletes may simply wish to put 3-5 grams of creatine in their pre- or post-workout shake and be done with it. Maintenance doses are 5-10 g/day depending on the athlete’s size after loading has been finished (larger athletes need more to maintain muscular levels).

I should mention that some percentage of athletes are creatine non-responders. For various reasons, they receive no benefits from creatine, no performance improvement and no weight gain. If an athlete uses creatine in one of the above dosing patterns and no weight gain occurs, they are a non-responder and can discontinue use.

As noted above, after loading, creatine levels will drop gradually over a period of about a month if no more is consumed. Athletes who need to drop water weight should discontinue creatine supplementation at least 30 days prior to the weigh-in of their event. - http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/supplements-part-2.html
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I take it, I find that it does help me. I have not had any real issues with water retention... but I'm certainly not competing. I don't load.. but I do cycle it 2 months on 1 month off. I mix it in water and gulp it down first thing in the AM. I also take it post workout.
  • JeepBrah
    JeepBrah Posts: 150
    Options
    I use it in off season. Be sure to drink enough water though especcialy if you lift heavy you get cramps if you dont drink enough ( I do atleast). People say you should cycle every 4 weeks aswell else your body gets used to it I think its bro sience though
  • ItsPheebs
    ItsPheebs Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    bump
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I take it and did notice a slight difference in my workouts. I take a creatine pills that doesn't call for loading phases plus superpump size-on precontest intra-workout which has creatine as well. Also haven't had the bloating/water retention problem. Just drink plenty of water to avoid an upset stomach.
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I've taken it in a recovery drink. I did retain some water but not a lot. I'm avoiding it from now on, though, because it made me pee constantly no matter how much water I did or didn't drink. It was to the point that I was convinced I had an electrolyte imbalance or some other health issue until I read that it affects some people that way. I stopped taking it and stopped peeing every 15 minutes.
  • paijing
    paijing Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I started taking creatine about 10 days ago and I've already made some strength gains in the gym. I feel like I've never moved up this fast in weights before!

I don't feel any negative side effects, but I weigh more than I should given my caloric intake. I don't feel bloated or anything; I just weigh a few pounds more than when I started taking it, and my diet has remained the same.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I use it. The water weight is in your muscle tissue, so there is no reason to be concerned with that. Without going into tldr anectdodal personal experience, I am currently thinking creatine use may account for as much as .5" of my arm circumference. No, I don't work for a company that makes or sells creatine ;)
  • Lamaa11
    Lamaa11 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    bump
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Strong necro.
  • dcuddies
    dcuddies Posts: 1
    Options
    I thought I'd bump this old thread because I was looking for more information about this topic in particular.

After doing a bunch of research on it, I think it's pretty much exactly the same as it is for men who take creatine. Check out http://bestcreatines.net/creatine-information/the-best-creatine-for-women/ if you need more convincing.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Creatine usage should be fine for you, especially with your level of activity. Bloating should be minimal, possibly most noticeable around your ToM.