HRM Wristwatch

Options
Good Morning!

I'm really wanting to purchase a heart rate monitor. I've seen topics on here about the Fitbit but I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with a HRM wristwatch or something similar off of Amazon.

I don't know if it's worth the few bucks to spend on one and how accurate it is, or if I should just save and buy the fitbit. I've also heard I should get a HRM with a chest strap to get a more accurate read. Just looking for opinions.

Thanks!!

Replies

• allifantastical
    allifantastical Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Charwana
    Options
    Target has all the New Balance HRM on sale this week. I picked up the N4 with the chest strap. So far so good.
  • allifantastical
    Options
    Target has all the New Balance HRM on sale this week. I picked up the N4 with the chest strap. So far so good.

You mind me asking about how much you paid for it? Thanks!!
  • toffee2013
    toffee2013 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    polar ft4 all the way . jus used it for first time and love it x
  • PhillyTD
    PhillyTD Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I got a Polar FT7 on Amazon for $75 and free shipping. I noticed the SAME HRM selling in sporting goods stores, etc. for $110.
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options

it's under $100 too. comfy and accurate
  • littlewhittles
    littlewhittles Posts: 402 Member
    Options

it's under $100 too. comfy and accurate

Just bought mine off Heart Rate Monitor USA for $64, waiting it's arrival in the mail.
  • PAZlady
    PAZlady Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I also have the Polar and love it. I guess it depends on how you want to use it. I know some - Fitbit and Bodybugg - also plug in to apps for more information but the HRM I use only gives me calories burned for working out. I don't have to wear it all day.
  • HealthyWarrior
    HealthyWarrior Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4 hrm with the chest strap. I absolutely love it. I love being able to see the calories burned when I exercise. I've had it for close to two years but the strap on the watch itself broke. Its still useable I just have to keep the watch in my pocket now instead of on my wrist.
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I got a wristwatch once, but then found out it really wasn't a HRM, it just counted calories at it's own random rate until I hit stop. It will count even when I'm not wearing it. Its a good watch though! I haven't really looked into more of them but it seems like the expensive ones that go around your torso are probably the best way to go with that.
  • Jenikki322
    Options
    I'm shopping HRM's too. The Polar FT4 seems to be on sale on Amazon, Ebay, and other sites for around $60. It's usually $100 plus! I haven't checked out the New Balance ones at Target yet, but I'm headed there today to see. Polar usually has all the rave reviews. $60 is a lot to spend for me, so I've been trying to shop for cheaper, but you lose the quality when you spend any less than that unfortunately.

Ebay has a Pyle PHRM38 for like $23 and amazon reviews had mixed reviews on it. Mostly they've said it worked great for first few months, then it would quit working. I considered getting that one for now since I'm strapped for cash, and if it quits working in 3-4 months, maybe by then I'll have the funds to buy a Polar! :)
  • Bjninja
    Bjninja Posts: 44
    Options
    I have a Timex T5G971 and I like it. Amazon has them for about $39. I do agree with the chest strap for accuracy, since it tracks you throughout your workout and not just when you can stop and use your fingers as a pulse point.
  • allifantastical
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input!!
  • ksfischer
    ksfischer Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Another Polar ft4 lover here!! I got it on Amazon for like $68 and the strap is so comfortable you do not even notice you are wearing it!
  • lma0423
    lma0423 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have a polar ft4 too!! love it, got it off of drugstore.com when the were having a 20% off everything sale, it was only like $50 with free shipping
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options

You mind me asking about how much you paid for it? Thanks!!
    I looked online - looks like it's on sale for $54. Definitely get the one with the chest strap - I started with just a New Balance watch only model and it wasn't worth it. Now I have the N4 with the chest strap and it works great. I have seen them on other online sites for around $45 - so the Target deal isn't bad considering you wouldn't have to pay shipping.
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    I believe there are a few brands of wrist only HRM's - no chest strap.

Epulse2 - I have these, love them lots.

Scosche - my husband uses this with myrun or something like that (chest-strap-free) & loves it.

Omarion ? - no experience, doesn't get good reviews on amazon

Timex - there's been a few issues with it on amazon

Mio - a few issues with it but there's a new one coming out that's more expensive but supposedly works well, it had been a kickstarter project.

I prefer epulse2 & Scosche as I'm allergic to metal & the rest of them on this list have metal backs, while epulse2 and Scosche do not.

Hope this helps!