Post trauma dieting

Options
My name's Clare and I've joined to lose some weight, as have you all! I had a nasty horse riding accident in October when my horse fell on me after rearing up, crushing the lower part of my leg. I had two operations, one rod, one plate and 18 screws in my right leg and had to spend literally three months on the sofa recuperating and then it was slow walking with crutches. I did however swim every day as soon as I had a removable cast, building up to an hr a day in the pool. I live in Hawaii so it's easy! It's now been 6 months and I'm riding again, cycling every day and walking although my leg does swell up every evening so ice is my friend.

My problem is that I've piled on the pounds as my metabolism almost ground to a halt while I was recuperating. I'm trying like crazy to get it back up, but the weight just keeps creeping on which is so frustrating. It's very obvious that I'm eating more calories than I'm burning, although I'm doing 12 miles a day on the bike. So now it's war!! I started yesterday and cycled and swam like a mad thing and seemed to lose 3 lbs but I think that's more to do with when I weighed myself more than any fat burned. It's a nice start and bit of encouragement all the same.

I think you're all amazing and the weight that some of you have lost is just incredible. I guess this is the first step to success ... I look forward to reading all your tales and more over the coming months.

Replies

• rnroadrunner
    rnroadrunner Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I am sorry to tell you that the 3 lbs were mainly water. Our bodies are 60% water. That beeing said use this site to safely lose the weight and adjust your life style not diet. your activity sounds good so monitor your caloric intake and you will be well on your way. Good Luck.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I agree with rnroadrunner. It was probably water - but that's a good start!!! :happy: Your activity sounds awesome (and I'm kind of jealous!) and I would also just advise you put that into your daily activity level under goals and figure out how much you need to eat to lose weight!
  • ClareRce
    ClareRce Posts: 79
    Options
    Thanks for that rnroadrunner. So which was the 'right' weight? The heavier one or the lighter one?! I weighed myself this morning before any water or tea and I'd lost 3 lbs on yesterday's weight. Yesterday I weighed myself after breakfast and before I joined this site. I realise our weight fluctuates between 2/3 lbs a day and that it is due to water and food intake.

I like the lighter weight myself!! Does everybody weigh themselves first thing in the morning or do some people take it last thing at night? That would be very interesting to find out.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    The most accurate time to weigh is first thing in the morning - after you use the bathroom, BEFORE you've eaten anything, and naked. :happy:
  • angelwing97
    Options
    I agree with arielle0489, first thing; post pottie and pre coffee and yes, naked. I weigh myself everyday (stop with the booing) I like to know what I'm doing and keep myself motivated. I go with the ups and downs and take it in stride. Salt at dinner can effect (up)your morning weigh in but keep postivie and go for it. You clearly have the motivation!
  • ClareRce
    ClareRce Posts: 79
    Options
    Ok, so this morning's weight was the 'right' weight then! That's good. Thanks for that.