Protein shakes to lose weight

Options
I am wondering if anyone can help me. I am going to the gym 3 days a week and walking the rest of the days. I eat but I am way under my calories. I have been drinking a protein shake before I go to bed because I am not hungry when I get home from the gym in the evening. I have a sit down job so I know If I drink the protein in the morning it really won't help. Please give me opinions.
I want to lose weight not bulk up FYI

Replies

• Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    # 1 you cannot bulk up.
    # 2 if a meal isn't in your hunger a shake can be ok but real food is probably better
    # 3 it doesn't matter when you actually eat most likely
    # 4 I am an idiot and you can ignore me
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    # 1 you cannot bulk up.
    # 2 if a meal isn't in your hunger a shake can be ok but real food is probably better
    # 3 it doesn't matter when you actually eat most likely
    # 4 I am an idiot and you can ignore me

Correct!

You will not bulk up... a female cannot bulk up unless you take some sort of drug to assist with that.

Protein is great and needed when losing weight as with a deficit the losses come from water, fat and muscle. Protein and weights help to minimize muscle loss.

If you don't want to eat a full meal than don't. Have your shake however real food is always better. It doesn't matter when you have your shake however it can be good after a hard workout or lifting as protein will help in muscle repair.

Meal timing doesn't matter. Eat your calories whenever you want to throughout the day. Snack during the day if you aren't meeting your calories or add higher calorie versions of things throughout the day.
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I do a protein shake in the morning and one in the afternoon if I work out. Love my morning protein shakes!
  • mbreed75
    mbreed75 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Protein and carb shake is important immediately after a workout. I don't know how you could benefit from eating anything just before bed.

Google post workout shake for many different opinions. I have found a post workout shake to be very effective in recovery and muscle development.
  • BiohazrD
    Options
    Protein and carb shake is important immediately after a workout. I don't know how you could benefit from eating anything just before bed.

Google post workout shake for many different opinions. I have found a post workout shake to be very effective in recovery and muscle development.

Carbs post work doesn't really matter unless you're a really hardcore lifter. I take 15g dextrose immediately PWO to spike insulin and get my BCAAs into my body faster and then protein 30 minutes later or so. Most people do not need to worry about this.
  • Jess4kids
    Jess4kids Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the response I just need some serious weight loss secrets and I don't want to be putting in the hard work and then screwing up on what food Im eating or not eating .
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the response I just need some serious weight loss secrets and I don't want to be putting in the hard work and then screwing up on what food Im eating or not eating .

Unfortuately there aren't any serious weight loss secrets. The secret is to eat at a moderate deficit, exercise and eat the right foods. Eat fresh, foods that are as little processed as possible. Drink enough water. It will come off.