Drinking Water

Options
Question...I have been trying to drink more water. When I get to about 3 or 4 cups though I am seriously going to the bathroom every 15-20 minutes. Any suggestions? Is that a good or bad thing? Do I just keep drinking more? Just curious what you all think.

Replies

• elzettel
    elzettel Posts: 256
    Options
    Are you drinking anything else? I don't always get the recommended 8/day but try. I also will drink a coffee in the am and I may have a diet pop for a change of pace (trying to give up pop altogether). I do notice having to go more often especially when I get those 8 cups in...
  • joneswife09
    joneswife09 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I really only drink water. I'm not big on soda. I do on occasion take a drink of my husbands, but I try to stick with just water.
  • kgarcia1226
    Options
    I find that the more I drink the longer I last between bathroom breaks. The first coulple of days r rough, going all the time. But after that, my body got used 2 it & now it's not that bad at all.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,138 Member
    Options
    Drinking water is one of the most important things you can do for weight loss.

Your body will become accustomed to the new water intake in a couple weeks and your bathroom trips won't be as frequent.

Keep drinking water!! I always have a glass next to me and as soon as I finish it, I go refill the glass.
  • angelface12004
    Options
    i go to the bathroom a lot too but i have a small bladder, i was in fact a bed wetter, but your body does get used to the water, just keep it up and soon you find it so bad. :happy:
  • annegirl
    annegirl Posts: 13
    Options
    Since I started MFP I have been drinking 8-12 cups of water a day. I've found that the easiest way to do this it to get a quart jar, fill it with ice water, stick a straw in it and carry it around with me at home. That way I know that I'm getting it all in. At first I had to use the bath room all the time, but now I don't have to go as much. Keep drinking!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Just keep chugging. You should be drinking half your weight in ounces daily, and peeing like a racehorse, LOL. Your body will get used to it and stop freaking out after a few weeks, but it takes time. Just keep swimming, just keep swimming, just keep swimming swimming swimming.
  • elina221
    elina221 Posts: 1
    Options
    hi... i do go as well but that's fine. and i don't drink only water. usually i have about 4 cups of water and then i'm drinking herbal tea all day. that's about 1.5l... you will get use to to drink more, just keep a glass or a bottle next to you all the time.x
  • KimmyBee
    KimmyBee Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Today I have had about 40 pints of water.

But thats due to trying to flush a urinay tract infection out of my system....

I never used to drink anything at all during the day, and as a result just one glass would have me running to the toilet several times, but since forcing 8 glasses a day down me I went crazy going back ad forth to the toilet. now its much less frequent and I actually enjoy drinking so much water. I have a bottle on me all the time and as soon as its empty i fill it.
  • gemfox
    gemfox Posts: 107
    Options
    KEEP GOING! When i increased my water from 1 cup to 8 cups minimum i was peeing like a racehorse, but I didnt half notice the difference in everything! sounds gross but my pee became clearer and not strong in smell (told you it was gross) and my skin is WAY better! I now dont pee as often unless i have a day off drinking as much water (normally a sunday as I am so busy) then i do go more regularly! You should however be peeing quite a bit anyway, keeps your kidneys flushed and its so good for your body!!!
  • bearlynoticeable
    Options
    your body will eventually get used to it! my body takes time adapting but i also try and switch it a bit with some crystal lite...
  • mzmoonlight
    mzmoonlight Posts: 160
    Options
    I agree, I notice a MASSIVE difference in how controlled my calories are when I am hydrated. If I dont hydrate myself one day its a given the next day I will go over my allowance. However, I have been hydrating for weeks now and the toilet is not getting any easier. I am on the toilet every twenty mins. It takes me an hour to get home from the gym and I have to go before I leave, usually half way home and then I am bursting again when I get through the door! Its just something I am learning to live with though because I feel much better when I drink frequently.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    And it's not like peeing like a racehorse is a BAD thing! There's been some pretty amazing racehorses lately ;)
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Yeah, peeing a lot is good! You don't want that water in your body anymore!!! :happy: And like the others have said, your body will adjust. I typically drink 20-30 oz. before I have to go...so a 1 1/3 bottles of water and I usually have to go. (My water bottle is 20 oz)
  • mlbazemore
    mlbazemore Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's anything that can be done about it, at least you know your not retaining a lot of water. Bright side if you need one, it will get you trained for when you concieve :smile:
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Just a note that coffee is a dhiaretic (spelling?) so pretty much the opposite of water for hydration purposes. When I have coffee, I will have a water afterwards and pretty much count it as equal.

Also, the whole 8 cups (2L of water per day) requirement is slightly flawed as we do get a lot of water from other intakes like vegetables etc. Having said that, I still aim for 8cups minimum.