breakfast...

Options
What is your view on breakfast...? i have never been a breakfast person... i drink my coffee (with creamer) every morning.. but i would like to hear other peoples advice...

thanks!

Replies

• Qbaimee
    Qbaimee Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I am not a huge breakfast eater either, but I do believe breakfast is needed. I have 1 cup of coffee with creamer and a packet of oatmeal or something, just a little something to get into your body.

I am still working on the breakfast thing though.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Whatever works best for you! I have gone back and forth. I've found when I eat breakfast before 10 am I'm ravenous all day long and usually end up binging later. I wait till 10, have a small breakfast, regular lunch and dinner sometimes a snack if needed and my cals stay in check consistantly. If you're worried about metabolism, it slows a bit over night but wakes back up when you do. Food is not needed to "get it going" like commonly believed.
  • nicosuave2013
    nicosuave2013 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    i had to train myself to eat breakfast....its usually small like yogurt and a piece of fruit or a bowl of cereal.....
  • amandat_79
    amandat_79 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I used to not eat breakfast (or lunch typically) but now it's a huge deal for me to eat well every morning... and then every 2 1/2 hours from then on. I eat eggs and cheese on toast, steel cut oats or peanutbutter on toast, for example. I'm not saying it's the "right" thing to do because there are a lot of people out there who lose and don't eat breakfast but it works for me and now I really enjoy eating breakfast :)
  • kboigirl
    Options
    Most important meal of the day! I find that breakfast sets the tone for my day and have been surprised that the "classic" American breakfast of eggs and some kind of breakfast meat is actually pretty low calorie. Getting protein in in the morning is helpful to keep me satisfied all day. That hunger you feel when you start eating breakfast is your metabolism revving up! Just make sure to keep lots of low calorie snacks on hand and drink plenty of fluid till your body gets used to having breakfast.

I'm a registered dietitian and nutrition instructor at the university level.
  • glynissharpe
    glynissharpe Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I don't have this problem because I absolutely looove breakfast. I wake up starving, so I am eager to make some delicious egg and cheese tortilla wrap or muesli and greek yogourt with rasberries...
    Without breakfast, I have no concentration and by 10am, Iget a tension headache.
    I think once your body needs fuel to get going, it keeps me going till lunch and I don't over eat the rest of the day....it keeps my calorie intake where it should be.
  • jacktin
    jacktin Posts: 24
    Options
    I am not a fan of eating breakfast either ( like many, I'm a coffee-for-breakfast person ), but I have been told by my doctor that I need to make sure I am eating a little something to jumpstart metabolisim. I do have Lupus, so my body may be different, but now I eat a little something ( like a piece of fruit or a small bowl of hot or cold cereal). I do notice I stay fuller and more satisfied longer throughout the day if I eat a small breakfast.
  • Izabera
    Izabera Posts: 28
    Options
    As already mentioned above , most important meal of the day- I used to always skip breakfast , quick cuppa then i'd be out the door , i was also bad at going for long periods of the day without eating like all day until i got home from work,,,bad bad!

These days never go longer than 3 hours without eating whether it be some fruit or anything else healthy , had to ditch the pringles-)
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Forcefeeding yourself isn't a good weight loss strategy
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    When I started this journey, and the doctor sent me to a dietician, she basically told me these things.
    1. Eat breakfast every day.
    2. Track your "carbs" and try to keep them to less than 15 a day (in her world, 1 "carb" = 15 grams of carbohydrates).
    3. Read labels.
    4. Write down everything you eat.
    5. Eat a small snack before you go to bed (piece of fruit, yogurt, etc).

Doing this, and walking, walking, walking (did I say walking) resulted in a 70+ pound weight loss. I have gained some back, and am now working to lose at least a part of it (and I was probably too light at my lowest), but I have a healthy BMI, have been able to keep my blood glucose level in check, etc. My cholesterol was in normal ranges for awhile, but is now high -- I refuse to take medication for it again, so that is why I am trying to lose the weight I have gained back......at least a part of it.

Kaye
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Meal timing is irrelevant to weight loss. You don't need breakfast.
  • Shas2228
    Shas2228 Posts: 187
    Options
    I know a lot of people that don't eat breakfast. I've read many times that breakfast helps keep you balanced through out the day. Even if you ate like a hard boiled egg or a banana, it would be better than nothing :-) I couldn't go without breakfast, I'm usually hungry when I wake up.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    It's the most important meal of the day for some not for all.

At the end of the day, if you are at a calorie deficit, then it does not matter what time of day you ate those calories. Go with whatever meal timing you prefer and/or fits into your schedule.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Eat it if you want, don't if you don't want to. It depends on the individual and should be based on adherence to calorie targets, energy levels, medical reasons, gym performance and lifestyle.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Most important meal of the day! I find that breakfast sets the tone for my day and have been surprised that the "classic" American breakfast of eggs and some kind of breakfast meat is actually pretty low calorie. Getting protein in in the morning is helpful to keep me satisfied all day. That hunger you feel when you start eating breakfast is your metabolism revving up! Just make sure to keep lots of low calorie snacks on hand and drink plenty of fluid till your body gets used to having breakfast.

You are a registered dietitian and nutrition instructor and you think it revs up your metabolism?

Read this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/820577-meal-frequency-rev-up-that-furnace-lol
  • lasmit4477
    lasmit4477 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    It's the most important meal of the day for some not for all.

At the end of the day, if you are at a calorie deficit, then it does not matter what time of day you ate those calories. Go with whatever meal timing you prefer and/or fits into your schedule.

^This!
  • marta07
    marta07 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    i love breakfast ! hate dinner lol
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options

You are a registered dietitian and nutrition instructor and you think it revs up your metabolism?

Read this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/820577-meal-frequency-rev-up-that-furnace-lol

:heart:
  • 2muchsauce
    2muchsauce Posts: 1,078
    Options
    The timing of the meal is not important across the board. A grumbling stomach isn't your metabolism charging up either.......
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options

I truly hope you are not teaching your students and patients that breakfast speeds up revs up their metabolism.