Weight loss and anti-depressants

Options
Hi I need a bit of help here. About a month ago I changed my anti-depressants and have sinced gained around 6kg. After a bit of reading on the internet I've since found out that my brand of anti-depressants do have weight gain as a side effect and some people have had as much as 15kg weight gain. Obviously I don't want my weight to go up but I'm not sure what I can do at the moment.
Its a big vicious circle as the more my weight goes up - the more depressed I become - the more I eat. The problem with these tablets are that I'm never full so I need ideas of things that I can graze on throughout the day that are low-calorie too. I try to exercise as much as I can but i'm still recovering from having my hip replaced 3 months ago.
Any ideas would be a great help x

Replies

• Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Talk to your Dr (or whoever prescribes those) and see if there is one that doesn't make you gain weight you can take..
  • dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Options
    Talk to your psychiatrist is the only obvious answer imo
  • buddhangela
    buddhangela Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You might also want to try drinking more water - often I think I'm hungry only to find out that I was really just thirsty. I am also on meds that made my weight go up -- hence this diet. But walking a lot is really helpful too. Good luck!
  • skinnybitchbarbie27
    skinnybitchbarbie27 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I take wellbutrin which my doctor explained to me was fairly weight neutral. I would talk to your doc about if the weight will even out and go away or if you need to switch medications.

Obviously from what it sounds like you are eating more because of your weight and unable to move as much as you'd like. I would also start there. Break the vicious cycle of eating because you're sad because you are heavier than you want to be. That isn't getting you anywhere.
  • cksoto
    cksoto Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Some antidepressants can make you gain weight and make you lose weight, but it's a side effect and varries from person to person. Remember that this is just a side effect, and the average weight gain for most people starting new antidepressants is 5-8 pounds. I know that seems like alot but you will make it through. Who knows if you will actually gain that weight or not.

Mind over matter works in these cases too. Just because you know that your antidepressant MAY cause weight gain as a side effect doesn't mean it will. However overthinking it and causing yourself anxiety over it will indeed cause you to gain weight because like you stated you start worrying and feel defeated and then eat more. Let your antidepressant do its work, stabalize your mood and in turn make you feel better, accept that you may gain a little of initial weight within the first month or two of starting this medication, but don't let it defeat you. Continue your workouts, eating right and keep going.

Many nutritionists say that planned snacking (not grazing) throughout the day is a good thing and will help boost your metabolism. I highly suggest not grazing or snacking just to snack. Make sure that you plan one snack between breakfast and lunch, between lunch and dinner and then a very small treat if you really want one after dinner. Make sure that these snacks are no more than 100-150 calories. So you can have salsa with a few baked chips or yogurt or celery and a bit of peanut butter, just to name a few. Just remember that the snacks shouldn't be small meals, but should be snacks! Plan your snacks accordingly and only take in what you think you want/need to get you through the day.

Just keep positive, continue on your journey, workout, eat right and live a happy life. :heart:

Edited: Just to let you know, I've been there and gone through what you are going through, hence me responding to your post. I just want you to know that you are not alone in going through this. Been there done that, I know it's not a good feeling to gain that initial weight, but you will make it through. :flowerforyou:
  • sammydep
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your comments. I've got a few ideas now to try out.
  • jroleary21
    Options
    Hey Sammy,
    My doc told me Wellbutrin is supposed to be the best of the ADs when it comes to gaining the least amount of weight.
  • Bamacraft
    Bamacraft Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    My dr gave me Elavil for insomnia and migraines and i did fine on it, everyone has different reactions so you may have to experiment to find the right one. He said Elavil was one of the better and safer to take. Not sure but worth asking your doc.
  • Edwardo27
    Edwardo27 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Sorry to say butI put on 3 stone on in 3 months with anti depressants (Clitophram) about 3 years ago, I was on them 3 months, then quit them, I have struggled like hell to shift the weight ever since. It is only now I am feeling up to losing it again.

My Dr told me that Prozac stopped weight gain but I decided that I didn't want to take them at all. So I cannot say if that is true or not.
  • wannabtight
    wannabtight Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Do you mind if I ask what you are taking? Pm if you want... I have battled depression for years and have gained from some, lost from some, and stayed stable from some. Don't let the depression defeat you. Do what you can for exercise and watch what you eat, you eat good you feel good. Exercise gives you feel good endorphins. We are here to help feel free to add me.