Protein Question

Options
masanz1
masanz1 Posts: 65 Member
I have been going pretty good so far this year just watching what I eat. I decided to go to healthy eating seminar to get some measurements and weight goals. After the class they sent the results of all the measurements and recommendations to lose weight. They said I should eat 2200 cals a day plus 179 grams of protein. There is simply no way for me to eat that. I am also worried about my kidneys as I already get stones and have read too much protein may not be good. Yesterday I had a protein bar, 2 shakers of protein drink, shrimp and ended up at 131. The class is given by Herbalife reps so I do not know if this is a ploy to sale their protein mixes or not. I also heard 1 gram per lbs you weigh. I weigh 279. So what is the deal with protein. The tools on this sight recommended 69 and 1740 calories. I have kept close to that and am averaging 2lbs a week.

Replies

• rnroadrunner
    rnroadrunner Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    run do not walk away from those people. go back to the healthy recomendations of this site and live well.
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    If you're losing weight successfully, there's no reason to change things around.

1g per pound of weight is contraindicated if you have kidney problems. So forget the class and keep doing whatever you're doing.
  • weidner
    weidner Posts: 127
    Options
    I think you should go see your doctor, and have a physical. Explain to him your aspiration and the goals set by MyFitnesspal and see what he has to say.
  • brianhin
    brianhin Posts: 28
    Options
    That is a TON of protein they're suggesting that you eat! I'm on a 40/40/20 (carbs/protein/fats) eating plan right now and even with that I find it difficult to hit my protein goal WITH supplementation. If what you're doing is working, stick with it. I do believe that it is important to supplement in certain areas, but it all depends on what your goals are. You don't need that much protein unless you're looking at doing some serious muscle building or you're like on a level of an elite athlete.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    That's not actually that much protein for your body weight. I am 162lbs and I aim for 160-170g protein per day. I only have protein shakes on weight workout days. I just make sure that each meal I have has about 30-40g of protein in it and try and eat 5 times a day. I am aiming to increase lean body mass a little and lose last bit of fat. If you eat under maintenance you will lose weight. If you are low on protein and you only focus on cardio (particuarly slow or medium steady state) you will lose muscle as well. THis is what I did. Dropped from 95kg to 67kg and lost a TON of muscle and strength at the same time. Now have been eating a bit more, doing more weights and HIIT and increased the protein to 1g/lb and back to 74kg with a heap more strength and pretty much same body fat %.

The trick is to let the mirror do the talking and not the scales. If you only rely on scales you may be seeing great drops but if a fair proportion of that is muscle then that is not a good thing. The more muscle you have in your body the higher BMR you will have which makes it a lot easier in the long run :)

my 2c :)
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    oh yeah, and proteins use a whole lot more energy to digest. Has been said about 30% so e.g. if you consumed 100cals worth of protein 30 cals of that is used up in the digestion process.
  • sorilue
    sorilue Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I would second this opinion! I have no actual proof, but after using these shakes for about three months my blood test for liver enzymes was very high. I stopped using them and the liver enzyme level is in the normal range again. I was only using them for lunch and I was adding a small amount of protien powder to them. Like I said, I'm not sure if one thing has anything to do with the other but it's enough for me to stay away from them. Best of luck to you on you weight loss journey.
  • sorilue
    sorilue Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I would second this opinion! I have no actual proof, but after using these shakes for about three months my blood test for liver enzymes was very high. I stopped using them and the liver enzyme level is in the normal range again. I was only using them for lunch and I was adding a small amount of protien powder to them. Like I said, I'm not sure if one thing has anything to do with the other but it's enough for me to stay away from them. Best of luck to you on you weight loss journey.
    Sorry this post was suppose to be with the post from rnroadrunner.
  • tralalara
    tralalara Posts: 149
    Options
    my understanding (from Dr Sears of Zone diet books) is that your body can only use about 20 grams of protein per meal. The rest is stored. I have my setting at 40%, 30%, 30% (carbs, protein, fat) and eat 3 meals plus 2 snacks a day, each with protein and MFP figures that at about 90 grams per day. Seems to be working for me. I lost 21 lbs before finding MFP and have lost 5 more since starting.
  • LaTerri
    LaTerri Posts: 42
    Options
    My goal is to put on muscle. I weigh about 100lbs and I am eating 150 a day. I am trying to loose about 3% more in fat and gain about 5lbs more of muscle. I also have kidney issues, but I have no problem on high protein diet. You need to drink plenty of water, like 100 + oz a day. I have also had kidney stones. Once I cut out the sodas and caffiene and added only water and juices to my diet, the stones cleared up. I eat 25g a meal, 6 meals a day. I eat 3 and drink 3.

I use Jay Robbs Egg White powders, they are yum with just water.

I am eating 40/45/15 - carbs/pro/fat a day.

1500 calories at = 169g / 150g / 25g

I have lost 6% body fat in 6weeks. I am leaning up fast. My goal was not to loose weight, just fat. This is the way to do it. BUT, you must drink water and a lot of it.