Just signed up for my first 5k!!! Any advice?!

Options
I am *super* excited to say that I just signed up for my first 5k and I cannot wait! I'll only be walking- not up to running YET- but my dog will be participating with me (It's the Naples Humane Society's 7th Annual Run for the Paws 5k Walk/Run).

Anyone have any tips? This is my first time, so amid all of the excitement I am a little nervous. And it's just over 1 wk away! EEK!

PS- This is taking place in Naples, FL, so it will most likely be hot and humid.... Thanks!!! :)

Replies

• whatjesseats
    whatjesseats Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Sounds like fun. Since you're walking, my only advice is not to wear anything new for the 5k--you want to make sure you're comfortable in your clothes and shoes. If chafing might be an issue, I can not recommend Bodyglide enough.

Have fun!
  • wrotruck
    wrotruck Posts: 72 Member
    Options

Have fun!

^^ This!

Enjoy the experience! I met some of the best and most encouraging people I know at 5Ks!
  • 33Chief
    33Chief Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I generally find that only 2% of the people at most 5Ks are actually competetive runners and most people are just women in their 30s having a good time. Have fun and meet some people!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    There's a great topic here with tips for your first race: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/279198-running-tip-so-you-are-about-to-do-your-first-race?hl=run+first+race

It's very thorough, and he covers everything from a full marathon to a 5k, but it really helped me plan for my first race, gave me a better idea of what to expect, and helped calm some of those first race jitters. Give it a read - it's great info.

And have a great time on your 5k - how fun to walk it with your pooch!
  • jamesh87uk
    Options
    Edit: didn't read it properly!

Enjoy.
  • tif83
    tif83 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I generally find that only 2% of the people at most 5Ks are actually competetive runners and most people are just women in their 30s having a good time. Have fun and meet some people!

Haha- I just turned 30 on the 4th!!!! I actually have never had any hobbies or interests to speak of, so I'm pretty excited about the possibility of meeting new people who are into the same things I am and walking in more of these (and hopefully one day running!) I will get there!
  • LMP18
    LMP18 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    You can do this!! I have walked two 5K's and an 8K and am now doing Couch to 5K to run one. I would say just get out an walk on a regular basis and you will be fine. Have fun and celebrate your accomplishment. It is a BIG deal :-) Congrats
  • tisha_rae
    tisha_rae Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Be proud of yourself and Enjoy!!!!

I just started running last year & I LOVE It!

I would train a little if you aren't use to walking that much right now.
  • tif83
    Options
    There's a great topic here with tips for your first race: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/279198-running-tip-so-you-are-about-to-do-your-first-race?hl=run+first+race

It's very thorough, and he covers everything from a full marathon to a 5k, but it really helped me plan for my first race, gave me a better idea of what to expect, and helped calm some of those first race jitters. Give it a read - it's great info.

And have a great time on your 5k - how fun to walk it with your pooch!

Great, I'll ck it out-- Thanks so much Amy!!!! :)
  • Cwyman1
    Cwyman1 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Have fun and take it all in. You only get to experience your FIRST run/walk once. Remember the feeling of crossing the finish line. If you finish early I encourage you to cheer on the others as they cross the finish line.
  • SoontirFel
    SoontirFel Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Enjoy the scenery and run fast!
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    If you are walking, there are only a few things to do:

1. If you are already walking, make sure you wear the same type of comfortable exercise clothes you wear for your walks.
    2. Enjoy the excitement flowing from everyone else there (runners and walkers alike)
    3. When you cross the finish line, cheer and congratulate yourself...You just completed your FIRST 5k! AWESOME JOB!!!!
    4. After you cross the finish line, give your dog a good scratch behind the ears and tell him/her awesome job!

You both rock! Have fun!
  • kathyhull
    kathyhull Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Good luck and I hope you're hooked on it! I started walking 5ks about 4 years ago - took almost an hour to do my first. Eventually got to running/walking them in ~35 minutes. Now I'm hooked and have done 10k, 15k and 1/2 marathons - love it! Just go slow and steady and keep striving for a little more each time.
  • tif83
    Options
    Thanks all for such awesome advice!!!! I'm so super excited and I promise to enjoy every minute of it- especially once I cross that finish line! I have a feeling this will be the first of many races to come, and I cannot wait! I never thought I would be doing something like this!

And I'll remember to scratch my puppers behind his ears when we finish, too! Will be an accomplishment for him as well! :)
  • rllewell
    rllewell Posts: 234
    Options
    Since you are walking, relax and have fun. See if any family, friends, neighbors are also doing the race. Enjoy the crowd and the festivities of the race. Use it to motivate yourself to your next goal of being able to run all or a portion of it and just build your endurance for each race.

Next thing you know is you will be training to cut your time down by # minutes each race! It can get addicting! :happy:
  • aswearingen22
    aswearingen22 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Have fun! Enjoy the excitement of race day! My husband and I signed up for our first 5k on a whim over 2 years ago and have never looked back...now we've run half a dozen half marathons, have four more this spring, and are tackling our first marathon at Chicago in October! Warning: running is an addiction!! Nothing beats that excitement at the start line of your first race, being among the runners!

My advice...after the 5k next weekend, pick another 5k race about 9ish weeks out and sign up for it! Then go to your local running store (not big box sporting goods store, but a local specialty running store) and get fitted for running shoes. Then go to this website and start the Couch to 5k program. That next 5k in a few months, you'll be able to run most of and set a PR (personal record)!
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Have fun!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    The only thing I have to add (great advice so far everyone!) is a heartfelt plea from a runner to a walker... If they set up the start line by speeds, please go towards the back of the line. I know everyone wants to be up front but it can be frustrating for the runners who are trying to get good times to weave their way through the walkers that are in the way.

Above all, have a wonderful time! I'm a people watcher and love hearing snippets of conversations and sometimes even joining in and making new pals.
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    Hmmm... Some things people haven't mentioned:

1) Since you're walking, when you line up at the start, move on to the back of the line. This is true for any race that has a clock/timer associated with it. If there are people "running it" and they have little things tied to their shoes or around their ankles, let them start in front of you. They'll be out of your way in no time, so don't sweat the extra few feet of walking or extra seconds on the clock.

2) Follow the course markings, and try to walk in a predictable line and at a steady speed (if possible). If you're feeling inspired and decide to jog some, or even If you just need to stop at a water station or pit stop, always check behind you to make sure you're not about to get body slammed by a surprised runner or walker.

3) Don't carbo-load the night before or go nuts on the free food (even if you run 5ks - there's no need, it doesn't work, and it could cause trouble during the race - just eat normally!). DO try all the nifty samples of stuff, especially if you've never had it before, you can take it home to eat later if there's a lot. Some of those protein bars are expensive to buy and find out you hate, this is the perfect place to discover if they're tasty or not.
  • mt2008
    mt2008 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Good luck and have fun! I'm debating signing up for one myself, so I don't have a lot of advice! From what I've read, make sure to go at a pace that you are comfortable with, don't be pressured if someone passes you.

Small world, I was born and raised in Naples! :) Have a great time and I hope both you and your dog enjoy it!!