Help I am new

Options
I have battled by weight for years and I have always managed to get it off. Well after the last kid here we are two years later and I still have wieght to lose. Now in all my years of dieting and excercising I have never heard of eating the calories burned. So do any of you know why I started out at 1200 calories and after I worked out i gained 200 more calories to eat, why? I do not understand.

Replies

• RenzoLujan
    Options
    Hey! well Basically it's like this. You have 1200 calories to burn, if you work out and "burned" 200 calories. Then consider it like a "credit". So you would have 1400 calories to burn. If you eat those 200 calories back, it's like you didn't go to the gym. Did that make sense?
  • littlecompton
    Options
    MFP calculates how many calories you burn in exercise, then basically gives them back. You can keep to your regular calorie limit and ignore the "extra" calories, that way you are really benefitting from your exercise. (Or use them if you really want.) I think if someone doesn't have that much to lose, it is nice to know you can work out to 'earn' that goodie, but for me, having so much to lose, it feels kind of like I am exercising to break even if that makes sense. Either way you go, good luck to you, and welcome!
  • Margarette
    Margarette Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    From what I know you should eat atleast some of the calories you get when you exercise. Otherwise your body goes into starvation mode and actually stores the food you eat. This was a mechnism we used to need so that we could survive when food was scarce. This is why your exercise calories are automatically added to your total. If you repeatedly do not eat close to your total calories you can actually slow your metabolism down. In addition if you do not get enough calories your body will convert muscle into energy and you will lose the tissue that actually is responsible for burning fat.

If you search exercise calories on the message boards you can read multiple posts on this.

It seems to be a much debated topic.

So why exercise? If you don't you will lose tone. I have seen many people lose tons of weight and they look worse than when they started (in my opinion) This is because they are flabby due to loss of muscle mass. Also the increase in muscle mass can boost your metabolism.
  • dinosgirl
    dinosgirl Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Check out some of the pinned messages under the General Diet and Weight Loss Help. There is an answer for this.

Basically what MFP does is already calculate in a calorie deficit for you. Let's say (and I am using random numbers) your body needs 1700 calories a day just to sustain itself. MFP sets your calorie goals at a deficit - 1200 calories is your 1700 calories your body needs minus 500 calories for weight loss (500 x 7 days a week equals one pound lost). You "earn" more calories when you exercise because your body is working harder than normal. Therefore, let's say you earned 300 calories from exercise and now your calorie allowance is 1500. If you eat them, you are still at a deficit of 500 calories - your body now needs 2000 calories for the day but you are only eating 1500 and still have a 500 calorie deficit. But, if you don't eat them, you're body is esentially only taking in 900 net calories. That could, in the long run, put you into starvation mode and harm your metabolism making it difficult to lose weight.

If none of that makes sense - check out the pinned messages. It probably explains it better there.
  • jems11021
    jems11021 Posts: 23
    Options
    Thank You
  • jems11021
    Options
    Yes that makes sence. So basically I just stick to 1200 calories, but if I want to nees up I can burn the calories I want? Thanks
  • jems11021
    Options
    Thanks
  • jems11021
    Options
    Thanks