Why do teachers have to be Camels?

Options
Though I am in the sunset of my school year, I find it terribly difficult to make sure I am drinking enough water in the day. I know that there are many times I think that I am "Hungry" only to realize that I just needed some water. But here's where the issue is. I have no time to use the "facilities" between classes (Music teacher on a cart...yes i hear you....joy and rapture!) I feel like I am putting my weight loss potential at a disadvantage but I have no way out if it. The summers are totally different. I never have a problem with getting enough water then.

Any other teachers here? Can you identify? What do you do? How do you cope?

Replies

• mictur
    mictur Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I make the time. I walk around with the 8 th grade students and I go to the bathroom and walk into class late. We have to go!:drinker:
  • bksteve26
    bksteve26 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Can you just carry a water bottle?
  • linzismith
    linzismith Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I keep a large metal water bottle with me at ALL times. I can usually make it through 2.5 classes and I refill it every chance I get, even if it's not empty.

I find that it's not even an issue of needing water to curb hunger. throughout the day I talk so much that I have constant dry mouth. I don't know how anyone teaches without a constant water bottle with them.
  • tntrav44
    tntrav44 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I drink about 3-4 bottles of water a day. We have a water cooler in our department lounge, so I go between classes to fill it up. I also will slip out of class to use the bathroom, or I will go in between classes. Are you a high school or elementary teacher? I think as a high school teacher, I have it a bit easier with being able to slip out if I need to.
  • skroll
    skroll Posts: 24
    Options
    I am an elementary teacher and I try to drink 3 glasses in the morning and 1-2 in the afternoon. Sometimes I just line my kids up in the hall and tell to just give me a minute!!!
  • superstarcassie
    superstarcassie Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Hello there! 6-12 vocal music teacher here! I try to refill my water bottle as much as possible while teaching. More than just for weight loss, I need it to keep my vocal cords healthy! I end up having to use the restroom all the time. I just go during the passing time, and walk in late if necessary. I agree with the above statement! If you have to go, you have to go! As an elem. music teacher, I can see how it would be really hard- especially if you have classes back to back. Maybe ask the classroom teacher to watch over the class while you run to the restroom?
  • kjs1628
    kjs1628 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Aren't you allowed to drink in class? I have a water bottle that I sip from all day - I get through about a litre a day that way...but technically I am allowed to drink if it's water as the kids are too.
  • melissaogdenrhode
    Options
    I do keep a water bottle with me but that is not the problem. It's just going to the bathroom. I literally have no time to pee except before class (9:10) at lunch (12:00) and the end of the day (3:20). If I drink as much as I should I have to go in the middle of class.
    SOOOO annoying.

With no bathrooms (or rooms with ones that I'd care not to use), I guess I"ll just have to line them up in the hallway so I can go. I smell a "Field Trip!"
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    I drink most of my water when I wake up in the morning and after school. I still try to get down 2 bottles during the day. I figure, if I have to go I go. Sometimes the kids have to wait out in the hall lol. Try baby carrots for hunger pains. You get a lot of them for 35 calories.
  • lizbeth787
    lizbeth787 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I teach 4th grade and I find my kids are very understanding! I do have a lot of plan time in the morning, so there are many opportunities for me to go. However, in the afternoon, I have no breaks! It makes it rough, but my kiddos are very responsible and mature (most times ::smiles::) and understand that even the teacher has to use the bathroom! I make an effort to go when they are silent reading. I've never had a problem! Fortunately I am very close to a bathroom!
  • cduke25
    cduke25 Posts: 5
    Options
    I feel your pain. I drink water for my throat to function all day, but I definitely curb my water intake because I can't make it to the restroom. I teach bell to bell and through passing periods so I have to wait until lunch or prep. I know that some teachers call the office for a restroom break and they find a teacher on prep to cover, but I haven't done this because I don't like to disrupt the flow of my lessons. It's amazing how you take little things like going to the restroom whenever you need to for granted. I appreciate it more now that I teach. It's a definite drawback to the job.
  • countrymama08
    Options
    I have to ask the teacher next door to stand in the hallway for a minute or I call the office. I slipped out during passing once and my student (yes singular- I teach special ed) was in the room. My principal called me on it telling me that we do not leave students unattended. UH, I was in the bathroom and he was there a minute. He is a very independent child. Won't do that again.

That said, Please do not hold it. I have gotten a bladder and kidney infection from holding it too long. I try to drink my water at work but sometimes it does not work. It depends on the day.

I would suggest using your neighbor to watch the kids a minute or calling the office for a secretary to watch your class a minute.
  • jessudd
    jessudd Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm an elementary music teacher as well (luckily no cart... for now :-/) and I know EXACTLY what you mean. I've actually had subs write me notes asking how I ever get to go to the bathroom. I'm not sure what kind of transition time you have in between rooms, but there are times when I've just had to ask a teacher to wait with their class while I slip out to the br between groups. Planning helps--just making sure that you go when you have a break even if you don't need to. Maybe if you can drink smaller amounts and spread them out more? I don't know if there is a solution, except drink it when you can! I usually get in a big bottle throughout the day, and have gotten pretty used to my planned bathroom breaks.... Good luck!! =D
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I totally sympathize. I teach high school English and we have three minutes in between classes. You're lucky to geta water break, let alone a bathroom break in. Schedules are definately designed for students, more than their teachers. I have a difficult time getting in my water requirement on here because of it. After all, peeing your pants in front of a roomful of students really doesn't help win them over.*joking*

Shannon