New to MFP - 45 yrs old and feeling like I'm a 100!

Options
Hi all - Hope to gain some support through MFP as my body doesn't seem to cooperate nicely when trying to lose the extra poundage and get it back into some sort of shape! :smile:

My husband and I joined Fitness 19 on Jan 1st and have made a "committment" to lose weight. My ideal goal is to lose 30-45 pounds by this August in order to attend a theme wedding in Cabo. Long road ahead but I'm hoping by my keeping track of what I put into my big piehole will help and get me on the right path!

I'm technologically-challenged but I am logging in every day to log my food intake.

Live in Thornton, Colorado. To anyone who may be MFP member - giving a shout out to North Colorado!

Good Luck Everyone - KEEP AT IT! IT'S WORTH IT!!

Replies

• p_hanks
    p_hanks Posts: 10
    Options
    Hi. Forty-five is too young to feel old. I'm 58 and if you take your time and not overdo, the body will respond. It may take a little longer for us mature types to get results, but it will happen. All is not lost! I used to be in good shape a couple of years ago from running and lifting, then an injury knocked me out of running and here I am overweight and out of shape. Not happy about it, but I'm even less happy with my present body. Nothing to do but diet and work out.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll look great in August!

Paul
  • alienrite
    alienrite Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    30+ weeks to lose 30-45 lbs is an achievable goal. My biggest recommendation is log food everyday and work to exercise some every day. Start slow and focus on building good habits. Consistency is much more important than overdoing it. You will improve and strengthen with time and if you do the basics well, you will quickly find yourself being pulled into a healthier lifestyle. For me, 45 years old is just the beginning of my life and I have decades ahead of me that I am working to make as productive as possible.
  • ladyhawke6
    ladyhawke6 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I hear you! I have recently turned 45 (which sounds too close to 50!!) and need to lose 20kgs. I joined mfp a couple of years ago but didn't really commit to a healthy lifestyle. But yesterday (after a mountain bike ride with hubby and 2 of my children) I have decided to make sure that I accomplish MY goals this year. 2013 Bring it on!! Would love to be 'friends' and help each other - even if I am on the other side of the world! Nicola
  • sheilapie
    sheilapie Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    im 45, going to be 46 in april.. i feel ancient, and yes, my kids tell me im almost 50!! i feel like im 80 with all my arthritis and gout... we need to do this!! welcome to your journey, it is a forever change. smaller portions, better choices, exercise, and water!!! add me as a friend if you'd like. sheila
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    WELCOME! I had a Fitness 19 membership when I lived in Michigan. It's probably all you need. Right before I turned 40, I took a hard look at myself, and wasn't pleased with the things I saw that were in my power to change...So I changed them. I wish i had been more committed to taking better care of myself 20 years, but i'm glad I didn't use my age as an excuse to do nothing..
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm 44 and yeah, it's a struggle, but we'll get through it. Add me if you'd like. I'd love to have an array of friends to tap notes to.