weight vrs BF%

Options
I use www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/mbf/ to calculate my BF% .. I'm not sure of the accuracy but as long as its going down the way I'm happy :)

in Feb 2012 I weighed 172.5 lbs and had 36.7%BF

today I weigh 173.2lbs and have 32.7%BF

also my waist had dropped 2.5 inches, belly 2.25 inches and hips 0.5 inches

not bad I think, I had lost more weight (i managed to get to 158lbs) but gained it back over xmas, ive put myself firmly on the naughty step, However, I managed to keep a lower BF% which Im over the moon about ...

A wee question ... does the "more muscle" mean I should burn fat quicker .. or am I being hopeful with that lol

Replies

• kmakar
    kmakar Posts: 103
    Options
    Congratulations! Just this morning I dropped below 31% BF, which puts me in the "average" category for the first time!
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    wont be long till your in the 20's then .. average sounds good to me :)
  • jasper4848
    jasper4848 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I had similar question this morning. I haven't lost any weight after working out hard and eating properly for 2 weeks. Today though my BF% was down from 46.7 to 45.1......does that mean I am shrinking in size even if the scale isn't moving?
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    A wee question ... does the "more muscle" mean I should burn fat quicker .. or am I being hopeful with that lol

Well, muscle burns more calories at rest than fat does, so... I would think so, but I could be wrong. I just had mine measured with one of those hand devices two days ago (wellness screening at work) and I'm firmly planted in the "healthy" range now (I'm 5'5" and it was measured at 25.6%). I'm even in the healthy BMI range (23.5), amazingly enough. :smile:

Way to go on losing 4% body fat!!!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    More muscle + less fat = look better, be strong and generally more awesome.

Less muscle + less fat = low number on the scale that no one but you sees.
  • donna_glasgow
    Options
    I had similar question this morning. I haven't lost any weight after working out hard and eating properly for 2 weeks. Today though my BF% was down from 46.7 to 45.1......does that mean I am shrinking in size even if the scale isn't moving?

yes you will find your clothes are getting bigger lol .... the inches/BF lost (in my opinion) is a much better loss than weight .... I was in size 16's at 172.5 lbs ... now at 173.2 I'm in size 12's .... so yup deffo shrinking :D
  • jasper4848
    Options
    I like this analysis! Thanks
  • jrmartinezb
    jrmartinezb Posts: 147 Member
    Options

not bad I think, I had lost more weight (i managed to get to 158lbs) but gained it back over xmas, ive put myself firmly on the naughty step, However, I managed to keep a lower BF% which Im over the moon about ...

Yes, muscle needs energy just to be maintained, while fat is mostly just energy storage. Losing a pound of fat and gaining a pound of muscle will probably mean you need an extra dozen calories or so.
  • chimp517
    chimp517 Posts: 185 Member
    Options

yes you will find your clothes are getting bigger lol .... the inches/BF lost (in my opinion) is a much better loss than weight .... I was in size 16's at 172.5 lbs ... now at 173.2 I'm in size 12's .... so yup deffo shrinking :D

How your clothes fit and how you look are a much better sign of progress.
  • jasper4848
    Options

I am hoping for this to happen for me as well!!! Thanks for sharing
  • Ebcanada
    Ebcanada Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I've got to a point where I don't realy pay much attention to the scale...to me its all about BF% Started at 32%, currently at 13%. Goal is 10% or under.
  • donna_glasgow
    Options
    I've got to a point where I don't realy pay much attention to the scale...to me its all about BF% Started at 32%, currently at 13%. Goal is 10% or under.

I used to be a scales freak, stood on them before and after every meal, before bed, first thing in the morning and every time I passed them :-/ ..... I think I have finally learned that they don't tell the whole story ... in fact I don't think they tell any of the story.

my aim is 23% BF ... really my aim is to get into size 8-10 and to lose all wobble :) but I need a target number to aim for :)

ETS you look good in your pic, your hard work is deffo showing
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!