What lifestyle should I choose?

Options
I just started this two weeks ago. In the first week, I lost two pounds, and now I've almost gained it back, and since I believe I'm doing everything right, I'm wondering if I choose the wrong lifestyle (active, very active, etc)? Please "weigh in" on what you think I should choose!

I'm a Stay-at-Home mother of one 3yr old boy. We don't own a car, so we walk or take a bus everywhere (we live in San Francisco). Once a week, I work at his preschool, so I'm on my feet that whole day. Most other days, I also spend on my feet. But it's not like I'm running around, just alot of walking and standing. Some sitting and playing, too, of course!

so what do you think? lightly active, or active? i'm currently set at lightly active, but i'm wondering if maybe i should have gone with active and that's why i'm not losing weight in my second week?

thanks!

Replies

• DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Lightly Active.

Starting out always experiences fluctuations.

What is your current weight and what is your goal weight? How much are you trying to lose a week?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I'd leave it be for now at lightly active...the first month or so is pretty weird with fluctuations and what not. From there you may or may not have to switch things up. I just finally have my goals right where they need to be for consistency and it's been a few months for me.
  • jrsnyder95
    jrsnyder95 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    i'm at 146, i'm 5 foot 1 inches, and i'm trying to lose 10lbs to start.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    i'm at 146, i'm 5 foot 1 inches, and i'm trying to lose 10lbs to start.

Set your lifestyle at lightly active and your goal to lose 0.5lbs a week.

If your goal right now is 10lbs you shouldn't have your deficit too high.
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I like to use sedentary then add the exercise calories as I do it. Others like to build in active, etc and it seems to help them to be 'commited' to doing their exercises. Its all down to personal preference.
  • jrsnyder95
    Options
    can you explain why and how that would affect things? please...
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    can you explain why and how that would affect things? please...

Which response is this pointed to?
  • jrsnyder95
    Options
    what happens if i change my lifestyle to sedentary? i have to eat less calories? i don't have a problem being committed to exercising....so i'm just wondering how changing my lifestyle will affect things?
  • PTKnowsBasketball
    Options
    I am a high school athlete and I get 6-9 hours of exercise weekly. I was just wondering which lifestyle I should choose.
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    what happens if i change my lifestyle to sedentary? i have to eat less calories? i don't have a problem being committed to exercising....so i'm just wondering how changing my lifestyle will affect things?

What I suggest you to do is manually set your calories on here. If you are unsure what you normally eat log it normally for a week then see what your average is and then reset it. I dont have mine set to 1200 I have it set to 1400 but since Im leaving for vacation tomorrow and the holidays are coming I raised to 1500 and hope to maintain my weight that I lost to this point and when I get back Im changing it back to 1400.....I seem to average that weekly some days a little more some days a little less but I never feel deprived on that
  • rebekahnillyoungers
    Options
    It sounds to me like you are active, especially with all the walking and chasing a young child. I am also a stay at home mom during the day and I actually have mine set to Very Active, because I feel that in general the MFP calorie recommendations are too low for me. In addition to this setting, I track all my exercise and dance separately and usually eat back ALL those calories!

It is really hard to maintain a calorie level that is too low and to have energy to get through the day, and also want to stick with it for the long-term. I think it's best to err on a calorie goal that is too high, and then decrease it gradually if you aren't seeing results. Good luck to you!