How often should you weigh yourself?

Options

Replies

• halleyg2
    halleyg2 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Once a month max for me. Numbers on the scale are too depressing for me to handle. Even if I lose weight, I still hate seeing that large number. It's a reminder of how long it will take to fit into my clothes again. Once I achieve my goal weight. I'll weigh myself two or three times a week.
  • GoldenGopherDad
    GoldenGopherDad Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday but my "Weigh In Day" is Monday morning when I wake up.

I like to see where I am at every morning but I know that there are fluctuations each day so I find that the 1 day a week (same time/day every week) is the best measure of where I am at overall.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning. I don't let the result ruin my day. I don't want to wait a week or two to find out I didn't lose anything.
  • babymaddux
    babymaddux Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    i had been doing it first thing in the morning and last thing at night! i've now put the scales in a wardrobe and shut the door and they are staying there for a month! i want to eat right, not starve to drop a number or two. once a month may well become my new norm as i've got past the morning panics now
  • syrklc
    syrklc Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I am pretty new here. I have been weighting myself daily. I plan to start weighing weekly. It is depressing to weigh daily.
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    There is no right or wrong answer. I weigh daily because I don't get freaked out about small changes and like to monitor trends so that I stay on track. Not everyone can do that without getting a little crazy. Bottom line is what makes you most comfortable, helps you feel like you are in control and doesn't add more stress to your weight loss journey.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    You need to ask a different question; How frequently should I record my body statistics?

Weight fluctuates and is only effective when tracked at consistent intervals over a long period of time for the purpose of (usually) losing weight. So, as mentioned, pick a day of the month, week, every other week...doesn't matter, and weigh yourself then. ALSO...take your measurements. That is typically a better way to see results. Also, as time goes by and your clothes start being too loose, that usually means you are losing weight, lol.
  • keepitcroosh
    keepitcroosh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    If you really want to see results, my suggestion is to put the scale away completely and stick to measuring yourself! If you are working out, you may not see results on the scale. A perfect example coming from personal experience. I weighed 170lbs before i worked out 5x a week (cardio + weight training) and only ate healthy clean foods for about 4 months straight. When i went to see how much i had lost on the scale, i was not even a single pound lighter. BUT, what i looked like and how i felt was very different from the beginning . I was much thinner, toned, etc. If you keep checking the scale, it can and probably will discourage you and make you want to give up.

The results that youve seen is unfortunately unrealistic, and not a good way on how you view a healthy lifestyle. ( eating healthy and excersizing regularly) . Ive done it too, it took me a long time to realise that its just water weight. . The chances of it being actual fat is slim to none. Most people aim for 1-2 pounds a week. At the beginning, i was losing 10lbs here and there, then all of a sudden, it just stopped. I was very upset about it because the previous results were so big and exciting. Now i dont focus on the scale at all but how i feel and look. Seriously, try measuring yourself! Youll see the results much much better. And try to at least use the scale minimally like once or twice a month .
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    There's no right or wrong answer here and everyone has an opinion. But most experts suggest once a month or once a week is enough. If your clothes are fitting and you can tell you're doing ok, weighing yourself daily or too often is useless. All you get are fluctuations and they just depress you when they go in the wrong direction, which they will.

I had to break myself from the habit of weighing myself daily. I didn't really get a true picture of what was happening. What I've found is that it's more important to use a good tape measure and track your measurements. The scale weight is not all that important. Oh, I know that everyone thinks it's everything. But, it's not. The tape measure tells the true story.

I suggest you weigh no more than every five days - seven if you can hang on. And, even better, monthly. On the other hand, if you feel yourself getting too big for your clothes, you better jump on the scales and see what's going on so you can adjust your diet. That's not going to happen if you're eating right, however.
  • chelchelt
    chelchelt Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Once a week on the same day or once every two weeks. If I go two weeks weighing every week and don't loose I stop weighing for a month so i don't get discouraged. I try to go by how my clothes fit more then the scale because it fluctuates so much,
  • LSeales
    LSeales Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I weigh most every day. I only record when I have a loss even though I fluctuate day to day. I don't feel bad about it because I know I am at or under my calorie goals. It is whatever you want to do. It only becomes a problem when you obsess about it.
  • Tony_Brewski
    Tony_Brewski Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Weekly ... no more.
  • SDHudgins1976
    Options
    Gotta confess, every day.
    Having done the weight loss thing before, I actually do best when I "obsess" and have a daily routine....
  • Danni1585
    Danni1585 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    First thing every tuesday morning
  • Shana82
    Shana82 Posts: 19
    Options
    I weigh myself daily. Same time every morning. I only record losses, but I'm also kind of a data nerd and it keeps me more keyed in to how my body processes certain foods and when I am retaining water. You have to be okay with seeing the scale go up a few pounds sometimes though. Seeing that tends to make me eat cleaner for the next few days though, so for me its a positive. I have noticed when I don't drink enough water, my weight will fluctuate up a little and when I am hitting the water goals, I have bigger losses. That alone will motivate you to drink more water :)

Edited to add - when I don't weigh myself, the weight tends to creep back up without me noticing right away. I've done this before, and lifestyle changes and not watching myself closely enough is what got me back in this position.
  • rmgatch
    rmgatch Posts: 38
    Options
    I had started out weighing myself daily but it would be discouraging to see the fluctuation of a few pounds up then a few pounds down within a day or two. I now weigh in once a week.
  • moanie6
    Options
    I weigh myself in about once a week on the same day...
    I also need to lose about 80 pounds... good luck on your journey!
  • tisha_rae
    tisha_rae Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I do it once a week, otherwise I make myself CRAZY!!!!!

It's normal for weight to change as much as 1-3 lbs per day.

So, I've learned that I have to pick a weigh day (mine are Tuesday's)
    I put tape on my bathroom floor so that my scale is always in the same place.
    I always get up, use the restroom, and weigh naked right before I get in the shower.

I also had to make a deal with myself to take the first number - and not weight six times in a row. It is what it is!

Good Luck! :)
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I "officially" log my weight every Thursday morning. Now as to getting on the scale...I probably do that 3 times a day. It doesn't bother me. I am 60 pounds less than I was a year ago! Even if the scale says four more pounds since this morning, I am still better off than last January. I still can't believe I have lost this much SO EASILY! :smile:
  • efirkey
    efirkey Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    In the past I weighed myself every day. This time I am trying to do things a little differently and one of them is to weigh myself once a week. I think it is mostly a personal preference.

How well can you handle it if you gain weight?
    How much motivation do you need?
    Are you a numbers person and need constant feedback?