Fresh and Easy lunch options??

Options
I am an unemployed wife, so I spend a lot of time at home. My husband always takes last nights leftovers to work. I find breakfast easy to make and have ideas, but lunch is always a mystery for me. I don't want to defrost meat and make a full blown meal like I do for dinner, so I always end up eating sandwiches or salads. Any other ideas you guys eat for lunch at home that isn't too complicated (as in a ton of ingredients)??

Replies

• halphord
    halphord Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    you could make wraps, as opposed to just a sandwich....
    soups, chicken salad on lettuce,
  • luckyduck768
    luckyduck768 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Yeah, Wraps are always a variation on a sandwich. Sandwiches and salads are usually staple lunches. Does your husband take all of the leftovers? You could also try sharing leftovers (make a little bit more the night before if there isn't enough).
  • BrittKnee_Rae
    BrittKnee_Rae Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    When you grocery shop, package some meat into single servings!! Makes life easier :) Soups, salads, wraps, baked potato, OVEN fried chicken strips w/ baked sweet potato fries, baked buffalo wings, grilled zucchini and squash, turkey burgers!

All this food talk is making me hungry -_- lol
  • tennesseeleigh
    Options
    Probably the easiest thing to do would be to increase the amount your make for supper so there's enough for both of you to have leftovers the next day. That's what I do most of the time. Breaks up the tedium of sandwiches, canned soup, etc.
  • greginnd
    greginnd Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I often make chicken or tuna salad using LOTS of chopped celery and carrots. That way I can bulk up the salad to make it filling. I usually throw in some fresh herbs and use non-fat greek yogurt instead of mayo to bind it. I use romaine lettuce leaves as a wrap for the salad. Low calorie, low carb, high in protein, filling and satisfying.
  • Donnafreshstart
    Options
    Scrambled eggs on toast with beans or a plate of pasta in a tomato sauce or soups are good for lunch's or baked potato's with a filling of your choice
  • bcmlam1001
    bcmlam1001 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    My husband always takes the leftovers to work also but I do not eat leftovers *yes I am pickyyyy about that* except on rare occasion. I prefer a salad or sandwich or something light and simple usually myself. I keep it light for lunch because I usually always cook dinner. I prefer a wrap over a sandwich and there are lots of great wraps out there now. I like tuna salad, I am not a chicken salad fan, I LOVE anything BLT salad or wrap, I will eat leftover veggie soup with a pbj sandwich. I like breakfast for lunch to =) omelet with sugar free syrup. Ritz *or ur fav crackers* topped with skinny cow cheese wedge with shredded cheese and real bacon bits topped with apricot preserves is outta this world yum! Not really into lean cuisine or smart ones *they are worse than leftovers and tastes fonked up* I found some low cal and fat chicken eggrolls with sauce those are great! If I don't have all that I will go get a small dollar burger and dollar fries off a dollar menu *portion sizes are great on those* about once a week. Don't know how much this will help but yes I agree that if you do like leftovers, make a little extra the night before :happy:
  • lilkayaker
    lilkayaker Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I get 2% cottage cheese and frozen fruit. I measure out my servings the night before and refridgerate so the fruit has time to defrost and make my cottage extra yummy with the melted juices! Its super fast, easy, cheap and for me the 1/2 cup serving is just enough to keep me satisfied till dinner! I have a friend that uses honey instead of fruit so thats an option and its healthier to make it this way instead of buying the pre-made ones because you don't have the preservatives and for 20 or 30 calories more you get so much more!