How much did you lose before people noticed??

Options
Just wondering. I have lost almost 30 lbs and I feel great, have good done 2 pants sizes and am super happy but no one has really notcied (besides my husband). I know it doesn't really matter as long as I am feeling good but external recognition is always helpful.

Replies

• kshields85
    Options
    The more people see you, the less likely they are to notice. My husband barely noticed, until he hugged me. My in-laws and my dad noticed when we visited them all this weekend. my mom didn't, but she is bad at noticing those things. Some people just can't tell. Keep up the good work, and one day they will all notice.
  • CinthyNair
    CinthyNair Posts: 261
    Options
    Hi there,
    You are not alone. Not many people do notice weightloss, and even if they do, they are not very forthcoming on commenting or complimenting.

So don't worry too much about it. I celebrate little successes with my loved ones - taking photos, buying a new top, etc. Just one item for every mini goal.

One of the things I do to keep me motivated is to take measurements once a month. It's totally rewarding seeing the inches I have lost. Sometimes the weight doesn't change, but I know the inches are melting off :flowerforyou: :drinker:

Congrats on your success so far, and continue the good work!
  • Lisa0711
    Lisa0711 Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I really differs. I've had times where I could really tell on myself and other times I thought I looked like I gained and that seems to be when others would notice! I'd have to step back and take a good look to see it myself. It's weird, but it seems like the complements come in clusters. One day you'll get several complements when you're totally not expecting it and then others you think you might get one and nothing... it's strange. That's how it worked for my anyway. Just keep up the great work and people WILL start noticing!!
  • usmcwifeb15
    usmcwifeb15 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    It took about 26lbs before anyone really started to notice, even myself. My husband is always commenting on how small I've gotten which is great but sometimes I still wonder why more people have not said anything. Then I remember how good I feel and how proud I am of what I've accomplished so far. Just keep up the hard hard work and people will notice soon enough.
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    It depends on how much you have to lose. 30lbs is a great amount of weight. If people are noticing, they probably won't say anything until you lose a bit more.
    I like fishing for compliments with some of the denser people around me. lol I'll bait them with something like "Oh these pants have gotten so big for me."
  • CarolJW
    CarolJW Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I lost over 80 lbs a few years ago and no one noticed till summer because I was always wearing baggy hoodies. But when summer came around it was crazy! People thought I had gastric bypass. And when I told them 'no I lost it the hard way, HARD WORK' going to the gym, watching what I ate, calorie counting & consistently weighing food. They didn't believe me. Oh well, I know what I did, and I felt GREAT! Now I am just trying to get back to close to that about 15 more pounds to go.
  • perrim
    perrim Posts: 117
    Options
    I just dropped 26 pounds - halfway to where I want to be and it seems like in the last couple of weeks people really just started to notice. And it seems like I always get the most compliments during a week where I've barely lost anything and am feeling kind of "blah" which only helps keep me going!

Just know how good you look and feel and the compliments will follow!
  • kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    For me it's about every 12 pounds .
  • sk2010
    sk2010 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Just a thought....:ohwell:

A person once told me that commenting on weight loss can be a really sensitive topic even if they notice - they don't always know if you are trying to lose weight, or if you are having health issues....so it's often safer not to say anything...depending on how well you know someone

Congrats on your weight loss! :smile:
  • Newfunlander
    Newfunlander Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I lost 25 pounds and not one person seemed to notice. I was so discouraged that I stopped trying. I kept the weight off for a year and then decided to try again. Now I have lost 17 pounds and everyone comments on how great I look ! They will notice. Just give it time and don't give up like I did ! :flowerforyou:
  • Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    sometimes you "think" someone has lost weight, but dont know that they are trying ,and dont want to offend them, cause what if they didnt ? so you could be there, and people dont know what to say just yet. keep going, you will get lots of compliments soon!
  • NaturalMom
    Options
    The more people see you, the less likely they are to notice. My husband barely noticed, until he hugged me. My in-laws and my dad noticed when we visited them all this weekend. my mom didn't, but she is bad at noticing those things. Some people just can't tell. Keep up the good work, and one day they will all notice.
    I totally agree. My husband didn't notice for awhile and then was amazed when he could get his arms all the way around me. I also think it has to do with how much you have to lose. No one really noticed my first 30lbs. After I lost 60lbs, though, some people who I hadn't seen in months didn't even recognize me when I passed them at the grocery store. LOL!
    I lost over 80 lbs a few years ago and no one noticed till summer because I was always wearing baggy hoodies. But when summer came around it was crazy! People thought I had gastric bypass. And when I told them 'no I lost it the hard way, HARD WORK' going to the gym, watching what I ate, calorie counting & consistently weighing food. They didn't believe me. Oh well, I know what I did, and I felt GREAT! Now I am just trying to get back to close to that about 15 more pounds to go.
    Great job! I totally empathize with the baggy clothes thing. I got so tired of buying new clothes that I would get them at Salvation Army only to return them a few months later :) I, too, have lost it the hard way and - oh, boy, is it HARD! :) Keep up the good work, Carol!

MrsW510, keep working at it. People will eventually notice and comment - for better or worse. (Sometimes people can accidentally say hurtful things about your weight loss. Or on purpose, like my MIL - lol!) What really matters, though, is how YOU feel. If you feel better, more energetic, more confident and more attractive that is all that really matters ... at any weight. :) Best of luck to you!
  • mama22girlz
    mama22girlz Posts: 291
    Options
    I only really started to get compliments after about 25 lbs. Then people started to notice, it was also about the same time I started to get better fitting cloths. So like others have said, sometimes people don't say anything since its a sensative subject, others are just dense LOL. Congrats on your loss, I'm sure you look GREAT.
  • kalebsmama07
    Options
    11lbs when people started tellin me than ive lost alot of weight
  • amarti24
    amarti24 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Mine came pretty quick. I lost weight in my face first. the second place was somewhere in my upper torso so my comments have been made on how much bigger my boobs are. Nope didn't lose weight in that area like I was really hoping to. :(
    So for me it was pretty noticeable right away by my closest friends and family.