Chia seeds as an egg substitute?

Options
Has anyone used chia seeds that have been soaked in water as a successful egg substitute in baking? Did it change the flavor or texture of the item? Did you need to adjust the baking time at all? I've used applesauce instead of eggs before in some recipes with good results, but have not yet tried the chia seeds.

Maybe it's all those 70's commercials for the Chia Pet or Chia Head making me question it?

Happy Friday all!

Replies

• freckles_cmj
    freckles_cmj Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Never tried chia seeds...havent found them anywhere...but I do have the Bobs Red Mill egg replacement powder and it works just fine!
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried baking with them, but they are flavourless so it shouldn't change really change the flavour of what you are baking. I eat them in my morning smoothie.
  • alijane9
    alijane9 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I just read something that said if you soak some in water you can use them to substitute 50% of the fat in a recipe... Have no clue about the eggs!
  • endlesoul
    endlesoul Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • peilover010202
    peilover010202 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried them as an egg replacement. But, they will change the texture, I'm sure. They are like slimy snotballs (sorry, truth though) when you add water. I add to smoothies and crockpot oatmeal. In the crockpot oatmeal, they remind me alot of tapioca in tapioca pudding. I really doubt it would change the flavor though, I've found them to lack any flavor at all.