Running out of ideas!!!

Options
I am looking for kid friendly, healthy meal ideas. I have two small children who aren't exactly picky, but they tend to be resistant to big changes. I have been trying to "sneak" more veggies into things that we eat, I even bought the cook book that Jerry Seinfeld's wife wrote. It is working pretty well but I am running out of ideas!! What have other parents done to make dinner time healthier? Any tricks for getting veggies into food without kids knowing that they are there?

Replies

• StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    great question! I need to know as well! One picky kid and one not willing to try anything new....
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    LOL. Don't know if this will help, but in my house the kids HAVE TO eat what we make whether they like it or not. It is a really difficult task to cook healthy meals that they enjoy all the time...IT CAN'T BE DONE. Sometimes they have to eat foods they don't like because 1) it is good for them, 2) our budget does not allow for us to buy that kind of variety, and 3) I don't have time to make a bunch of different dishes to please everyone. If we know that they do not like something they certainly don't have to eat a lot, but they still have to eat it.

True story: my oldest once said he did not like peas. Well my husband opened up a can of peas and made him eat half. Needless to say, he doesn't do that anymore...that was when he was 9 yrs old...he is 17 now. He still doesn't like peas, but when we have them he knows to add them to his plate.
  • all4tjs
    all4tjs Posts: 51
    Options
    Hmmm, what about lettuce wraps, with chicken, julienned carrots, sprouts, celery, peppers. Anything you want really. Have the kids choose/make their own. Getting them involved in it is more than half the fun! Let them help wash the veggies, set the bowls on the table, etc. Hope this is a little help. Good Luck!
  • amk44
    amk44 Posts: 159
    Options
    Is there a way to kind of do an inventory of what they like, and then maybe modify some of those foods? Such as, if they like scrambled eggs, maybe add some veggies into it. If they like macaroni and cheese, maybe add some veggies to that. If you have a blender you can puree veggies and easily add them to a hamburger, or almost anything, etc.

Maybe letting them help make the meal (giving them the rules of a healthy meal). My mother (now deceased) taught me the rules as a very young child, and they always stuck in my memory... and even now while I'm dieting, I find her advice valuable. Same rules, but I don't need as large a portions. :smile:

Maybe reward them with a hug for making good food choices.
  • saraketner
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions and encouragement! I have been doing the pureed veggies which has been pretty successful. I'm just always looking for new ideas and recipes to change it up a little! Definitely going to try the lettuce wraps!
  • sonnacchio
    sonnacchio Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Well, I blend veggies into every sauce I make - I lie and tell them the greem flakes are parsley or seasoning. Bad mommy! :-) Umm, How about a make-your-own flatbread pizza? I always have veggies for toppings and the kids seem to LOVE it! I also do a lot of veggies and dip for them and sub out a lot of fried items for baked. I don't know. I am always looking for more ideas, too!
  • Vallandingham
    Vallandingham Posts: 2,177
    Options
    LOL. Don't know if this will help, but in my house the kids HAVE TO eat what we make whether they like it or not. It is a really difficult task to cook healthy meals that they enjoy all the time...IT CAN'T BE DONE. Sometimes they have to eat foods they don't like because 1) it is good for them, 2) our budget does not allow for us to buy that kind of variety, and 3) I don't have time to make a bunch of different dishes to please everyone. If we know that they do not like something they certainly don't have to eat a lot, but they still have to eat it.

True story: my oldest once said he did not like peas. Well my husband opened up a can of peas and made him eat half. Needless to say, he doesn't do that anymore...that was when he was 9 yrs old...he is 17 now. He still doesn't like peas, but when we have them he knows to add them to his plate.

I lived through the same thing about once a week when I was young. I had to sit at the table until the peas were gone. This was in the 60's. Canned peas were cheap. I sat at the table until bed time. Then went to bed upset. I don't know why parents would force a child to eat something they absolutely can't stand. It's not like I was being picky every time I sat down at the table. It was just the canned peas that made me gag.

I do not force my children to eat something they don't like. Besides, there are dozens of fresh vegetables available at the grocery store. By the way, I love fresh peas. I still won't eat canned peas. Go ahead!! Try and make me.
  • xecila
    xecila Posts: 99
    Options

I lived through the same thing about once a week when I was young. I had to sit at the table until the peas were gone. This was in the 60's. Canned peas were cheap. I sat at the table until bed time. Then went to bed upset. I don't know why parents would force a child to eat something they absolutely can't stand. It's not like I was being picky every time I sat down at the table. It was just the canned peas that made me gag.

I do not force my children to eat something they don't like. Besides, there are dozens of fresh vegetables available at the grocery store. By the way, I love fresh peas. I still won't eat canned peas. Go ahead!! Try and make me.

I'm going to have to agree with you on this one. When I was little, I HATED potato salad (and still do!). My dad sat me at the kitchen table with a bowl of it, and wouldn't let me leave until I ate it. I ended up puking in the kitchen trash after a few bites.

They always say that forcing your kid to eat anything causes negative emotions about food. Possibly how some of us ended up like we did.
  • Vallandingham
    Vallandingham Posts: 2,177
    Options

I'm going to have to agree with you on this one. When I was little, I HATED potato salad (and still do!). My dad sat me at the kitchen table with a bowl of it, and wouldn't let me leave until I ate it. I ended up puking in the kitchen trash after a few bites.

They always say that forcing your kid to eat anything causes negative emotions about food. Possibly how some of us ended up like we did.

Thanks for making that point. By the way, I do all the cooking. I have three girls. The youngest is still at home. We prepare meals together. It has helped her a lot. I would bet she is one of the better cooks in HS. Also, my wife recently started a diet where she has to buy the packaged foods. So, we split the food budget. She spends half on the packaged foods she eats and me and my youngest do the food shopping for the other half of the groceries that we consume. We do our shopping every 2 weeks. It's actually fun. I let her do a lot of the planning now. It will also help her with future budgeting, because I set a grocery amount and she knows she must stay within it and not run out of food. She was excited last night, because she began clipping coupons and was working on Saturday's list.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Forcing kids to "clean their plate" forms the habit of always eating everything on the plate. How many times have you overeaten because you heard your mom's voice whispering in your ear?

The biggest thing I learned using MFP and getting my weight under control was "Stop eating when you're satisfied - there is no need to continue eating until you're full". Cleaning the plate is begging for trouble down the road.

My adult kids love most veggies 'cause they grew up on them. They were always on the table, every meal. They can recite "Dad's rules for dinner" - and that is "Something dead, something starchy and something green - piece of bread maybe". My grandson is 5 months old and loves sweet potatoes & peas & all kinds of goodies. We'll continue to feed him that stuff and he'll just continue eating it.

Getting an older kid to take to veggies who isn't used to 'em,,, Hmmmmmm. :ohwell:
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I agree with what everyone else said!! Don't stress about them eating all veggies. I HATED veggies growing up but now I love 'em.

My kids (7 and 9) like:

- carrot chips w/ ranch dressing
    - spinach or zucchini sauteed in olive oil and garlic
    - peas w/ butter and salt

They pretty much hate everything else. That's cool, I just make the ones they like and rotate them. Maybe when they're teenagers they will like them. They LOVE fruit and they take vitamins so I just make sure they get plenty of that. They are healthy as horses. We don't eat (much) processed food and we eat a lot of white meat and fish so everything helps!
  • tjptaylor
    tjptaylor Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    My 7 year old will pretty much eat most things that she can put into dip -- I found Maries FF dill dip one of her favorites. Its been easy to get her to try different veggies as long as she can dip it. If you find a ranch or some other mild dip they like, that might be a way. A good example - she'll eat carrots and dip, but never a cooked carrot. HTH
  • kittytrix
    kittytrix Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I just tried a veggie "sea" cake recipe today and the kids ate it up. It's make with grates zucchini, carrots and corn. I paired the cakes with lemon pesto for adults but my son ate his with some tartar sauce and my picky daughter ate it plain.

If interested here it is.

2 1/2 cups grated zucchini
    1 cup grated carrots
    1 cup corn
    2 egg whites, beaten
    1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
    1/4 cup minced onion
    1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning of fish fry seasonings
    1/4 cup all-purpose flour for dredging
    1/2 cup olive oil for frying or you can also bake them.

In a large bowl, combine zucchini, carrots, corn and onions and egg. Stir in seasoned crumbs and seasoning. Mix well.
    Shape mixture into patties. Dredge in flour.
    In a medium skillet, heat oil over medium high heat until hot. Fry patties in oil until golden brown on both sides.
    You can also place the patties without dredging on a lightly greased cookie sheet. Brush a little bit of olive oil on the patties for browning and bake them for about 20-30 mins at 350F or until golden brown.

This makes about five servings depending on how big you make the patties.

About Calories: 196 | Total Fat: 9 g | Cholesterol: 55mg per serving.

Hope this helps you aout. We loved them.
  • maestrachistosa
    maestrachistosa Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I don't have kids but, I do have a niece. My sister is big on gardening, and the two of them enjoy the process of planting vegetables, watching them grow, and harvesting them. Then of course, the eat what they have grown. Not sure if your kids would enjoy this as well, just a thought.
  • KAskinny
    KAskinny Posts: 50
    Options
    My mama used to tell us "It's a bigger waste to put something in your body you don't want."
    So we were never forced to eat a lot of something we didn't want, but we did have to at least try it, she called it out "No thank-you helping." :smile:
    Because of this, I am willing to try new foods and even foods I've declared as not liking, I'll give them a try every so often, just to make sure I'm not missing out on anything good. :bigsmile:
    She also said she used to blend veggies and add it to a lot of our foods, but it sounds like you are already doing that.
    I really like the idea before about growing the viggies and then cooking with them - that sounds like an awesome idea!

Good Luck :flowerforyou: