Gaining Weight while following diet exactly!!! Help

Options
2»

Replies

• mary8n8
    mary8n8 Posts: 14
    Options
    Jennifer-
    Have you checked your sodium intake? Are you keeping up with your water? Two weeks on this site and you are probably gaining muscle. Don't get discouraged, the scale will probably drop next week. Perhaps you have to mix up your foods, by switcing breakfast with lunch. Dont eat after dark. Keep on going, don't give up!
  • breeshabebe
    Options
    Same thing happened to me this morning! My scale said I was up by 2lbs when I have been doing really great in my work outs and eating! Last week, I was losing 1lb a day- I guess it was water weight (plus I'm on the heavier side) but last week I didn't eat near as healthy as I have this week! Frustration! I noticed that on "The Biggest Loser" that their hardest week on the scale is on week 2.... so I'm hoping that this is just normal and next week will be great. It does suck to see the scale going the wrong way!

Oh yeah... and I'm drinking TONS of water... so the whole sodium intake and water thing isn't flying.
  • lesita75
    lesita75 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    So yesterday, I exercised, kept with in my calories, and ate back the ones i exercised off, and drank more water than usual, and now i've almost gained back the 2 lbs i lost last week! any other suggestions?

STOP GETTING ON THE SCALE EVERYDAY!!!! Body weight fluctuates day to day; sometimes it can fluctuate by up to 5 pounds. Choose one day of the week that you weigh yourself and stick to that. Also if you haven't already done so take before pics and take body measurements (waist, thighs, neck, etc) these are BETTER indicators of weightloss than the scale is. Sure we all want to see the number on the scale go down, but trust me if you are relying heavily on that number you will feel defeated when you don't see the results that you want to see and you will want to give up (been there done that).
  • kristenfaith93
    Options
    Don't get on the scale so much. Try to only get on every two weeks or even every month. You will notice a bigger difference in the numbers and will help you figure out what is going wrong. Sometimes if I eat a bigger meal at supper and it says I gained like 2 or 3 extra lbs that night I get depressed and it unmotivates me but the next morning I am down those 2 or 3 lbs. So i have learned to not look at the scale so much because it is just depressing lol.
  • mary8n8
    mary8n8 Posts: 14
    Options
    Good mind set. You didn't gain all of your weight in one week, so don't expect to lose it. Slow and steady wins the race!:happy:
  • tennesseeleigh
    Options
    Personally, I weigh everyday but just keep track of the general trend weekly or monthly because weight can fluctuate so much in a day depending on what you've eaten, BMs, water intake. I'm a daily weigher more out of habit than anything else (had to weigh daily while I was pregnant because I had gestational diabetes and needed to make sure I didn't have any wild - more than 3 lbs or so - daily weight variation).
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I'm only in week 2 of this website
    Give it some time.

Patience is as important as diet or exercise.
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    As a woman I fluctuate all the time. I've gotten to know my body and for me weighing once a week gives me a more accurate picture of what's going on. Even then if I weigh myself right before my period I'll be disappointed. I just tough it out for the next week and I know it will right itself. I figured this out by keeping a journal of my weights and I have a definite pattern.
  • Kimmybean13
    Kimmybean13 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Not all calories are born equal. Find out what TYPE of metaboliser you are e.g. (fast oxidiser vs slow oxidiser vs balanced), and then eat the RIGHT types of foods for you and keep to your calories. Both of these things are important to see effective weight loss and be happier and healthier within yourself.

Further, I also agree that water weight, menstrual cycle, salt levels, introduction of exercise can also give you a temporary and misleading minor weight gain. Try to make a mental know of these things when weighing yourself so any negative results do not impact your continued weight loss and enthusiasm. One way to help counter this is to also take your measurements, sometimes you can see an inch loss but no weight loss. These results will help perk you up and it's also a great way to monitor your body fat percentage opposed to just physical mass (weight).
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Best advice I can give is to stop weighing everyday. You will see day to day weight fluctuations. Try going to every 2 weeks or monthly.

Second best advice, start taking measurements. There will be times you won't see the scale move, but you will see the inches come off.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Its probably just a normal fluctuation of water weight. If you expect immediate and constant success with this, you'll set yourself up for disappointment....give it time.

Make sure you're tracking sodium, drinking lots of water and watching portion sizes. Also, the calorie burns calculated here can be a little high, so if you're eating back a lot of burned calories, you could be going over. Another thing to consider is that when you start a new workout routine, your muscles will retain water for "repair" and that can show an increase on the scale that isn't a real weight gain.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I actually learned about water weight (and about the margin of error on my scale) by weighing myself daily, sometimes even more than once a day. As long as you don't obsess over every single pound, it can be educational--it gives you a sense of how imprecise household scales are, and how much your weight changes over the course of a day.

I don't trust the scale until it's given me close to the same reading for a few days in a row.

If you want to weigh yourself less frequently, pick a time of the month (as a woman, right after the end of your period or right before ovulation) and weigh yourself just once a month then.
  • jrsnyder95
    jrsnyder95 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone! i appreciate the support....i'll hang in there and see what happens in 2 more weeks.