weightlifting competition help

Options
2»

Replies

• Lizsullie
    Lizsullie Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I just started lifting and this makes me very excited about it :)
  • Loftearmen
    Options
    The place where I work is putting on a Bench press and dead lift competition on Jan 18th. I have already signed up and this will be my first ever competition. There will be prizes for the top 3 males and females and will be based on percentage of weight lifted. I have 5 weeks from today to get prepared. I currently am seeing a personal trainer once a week to work on making sure I have the correct form and knowing how much weight I can do. I weight 202 right now and last night we worked on gettign to the weight I can only do 3-5 times. I'm there in bench press at 85 lbs right now. On dead lift we worked up to 135lbs. That is where we will start next time but I had done so many dead lifts to get there my forearms were starting to get sore (we started at 85lbs). I am eating mostly meat and veggies from now until then to try and lose weight with out losign my ability to lift. That was originally why I started lifting and have a very long way to go before I will be at my ideal weight.

So now to why I'm posting here. Since this is my first ever competition, I don't know what to expect and I don't know what other people do to get ready. Everything I can find on the internet is for at max 1 week out. Any advice would be greatly apreciated in anythign from diet to excercises to do between the days I see my trainer. She has set me up with a cardio circuit program that I do three times a week and it takes about 30 min to complete. Thank you everyone in advance!

I would love to help you get this training cycle set up. PM me

Also, go to youtube and look up "So you think you can bench" and "Dave Tate instructs the Deadlift". There is also a "So you think you squat" series that's worth looking up since you should be squatting even if you're prepping for a push/pull competition.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Here is a quick update for those that are interested.

In 4 weeks I haven't lost any weight so I'm still at 200lbs.

I went from 80lb bench press to 100lb bench press and am hoping to get between 105-120 for my 1 rep max.

I went from 135lb dead lifts to 185lb dead lifts and am hoping to get between 200-210 for my 1 rep max.

We will get 5 lifts of each and currently I am 1 of 4 girls competing with awards going to the top 3. Thank you everyone for all of you help. The competition is next Fri so I will come back on and give everyone the results. I'm getting super excited and can't believe how much weight I've been able to increase to in the last month and I'm glad that I at least maintained my weight with the increase in lifting.

Excellent gains!!!
  • spacechick365
    spacechick365 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I had my competition today. The other girls that were there were awesome! I didn't do too bad. I weighted in at 199lbs and was able to deadlift 195lbs successfully. My grip failed me on 205lbs but I was able to get that in training. We found out just before the competition that we were not able to use chalk like we had been training. I was able to bench press 105lbs and just couldn't get the 110lbs. Most of the girls are crossfitters so I know what to start trying out. That being said, I was only training for this for 1 month while the other girls have been training for over a year. In 4 weeks my deadlift went from 135lbs to 195lbs and my bench from 70lbs to 105lbs. Not bad gains for one month. Now to look toward the future. Back to losing weight! Thank you everyone for your support and help!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I had my competition today. The other girls that were there were awesome! I didn't do too bad. I weighted in at 199lbs and was able to deadlift 195lbs successfully. My grip failed me on 205lbs but I was able to get that in training. We found out just before the competition that we were not able to use chalk like we had been training. I was able to bench press 105lbs and just couldn't get the 110lbs. Most of the girls are crossfitters so I know what to start trying out. That being said, I was only training for this for 1 month while the other girls have been training for over a year. In 4 weeks my deadlift went from 135lbs to 195lbs and my bench from 70lbs to 105lbs. Not bad gains for one month. Now to look toward the future. Back to losing weight! Thank you everyone for your support and help!

That's really fantastic work- congratulations! Thanks for reporting back your results. Sounds like a really cool idea for an office competition!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Great to hear it! You did great!

And they're completely daft for now allowing chalk there. That's a total WTF!
  • cheri0627
    cheri0627 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! You had some huge progress in just a month. I hope you plan to keep at it.
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Those are very respectable lifts, especially for a beginner. You've made great progress - keep it up! And I second the chalk thing - WTF? That's just stoopid............