How do you fight that urge...

Options
UGH...ok it's been 10 days since I have had any kind of soda! And really I haven't missed it...until this afternoom :frown:
I use to drink a 20oz Coke every morning for "breakfast" and then go get a Rt 44 Dr. Pepper everyday from Sonic during half price drinks after work. Well that Sonic drink is all I have thought about today. :grumble:
I don't know rather to "treat" myself to a small Dr. Pepper in hopes to satisfy my craving OR would that just start me down a dangerous path to drinking sodas again everyday????

What does everyone else do when you want something that you don't need and should do without?

(Oh & diet soda is not an option for me because I am allergic to the artificial sweetener)

Replies

• jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I say allow room in your calories for a small one - or look at the Dr. Pepper 10 or the other alternate diet products...I think I heard they have different substitutes for the sugar?
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I go the "everything in moderation" route and would get a small sized soda if I were you. However, everyone is different and for some people "a little" will lead down a path of excess or binge. Get to know yourself and what you can handle!
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I find that if I buy one, and not the case, it satisfies my cravings and I don't binge on it.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    One little cave-in is ok as long as you choose not to make it a habit :) Let yourself have a small one and then back on track tomorrow!
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Buy it, take a sip, dump it immediately.

OR

Convince a friend to buy it, sip it, hand it back.

OR

Just say no. I crave the carbonation every now and then. It will pass.
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I go the "everything in moderation" route and would get a small sized soda if I were you. However, everyone is different and for some people "a little" will lead down a path of excess or binge. Get to know yourself and what you can handle!
    Agreed, everything in moderation
  • feast4thebeast
    feast4thebeast Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Build it in as a reward :)
  • Erin_goBrahScience
    Erin_goBrahScience Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I don't know rather to "treat" myself to a small Dr. Pepper in hopes to satisfy my craving OR would that just start me down a dangerous path to drinking sodas again everyday????

What does everyone else do when you want something that you don't need and should do without?

I found that a soda is a trigger for me. If I have it, than I want something else that is bad...I don't know what exactly makes the two go hand-in-hand but for me it does.

I personally like unsweet tea, it's not really "doing without" because I like it. But I find that if I drink tea, black coffee and water...after about two or three days I no longer want a soda. That is until I have one. Right now I'm about 30+ days no soda.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    I remind myself of all the snobby b*tches I wanna be hotter than.
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options

^ This. In the UK they do mini cans (About 150ish ml) Can you get those? I still eat whatever I like I just try and make healthier choices 80% of the time...

BTW I have a real sweet tooth (used to have a diet energy drink every morning) I've started making a fruit crush instead (1 cup frozen berries, 1 cup ice, 1 cup 100% apple juice - blend & serve) give me the sweet taste I need and gets me towards my 5 a day.
  • jmacavoy
    jmacavoy Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've substituted cola for soda water and I add a touch of natural fruit juice to add flavour. it makes a nice refreshing fizzy drink without the tons of sugar
  • ckehoe89
    ckehoe89 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    If its just the carbonation that you crave, you might try sparkling or seltzer waters. They have some flavored ones that taste great!
  • essaryswife73
    essaryswife73 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I allow myself 1-2 Dr Peppers a day. This is down from 6-8/day. I've adopted the moderation in everything way of thinking. If I want it, I have it. My son bought Krispy Kreme Donuts from a friend for a fund raiser and he brought me one home. I had asked for 1. I ate half of it. You just have to learn what you can and cannot do for your self. I can't have regular candy or snack cakes. I WILL eat all of them. I started buying dark chocolate. And I don't even eat a full serving of it. I haven't had a regular candy bar in over a month. It takes time to figure things out, and there will be backsliding. No one is perfect. I can't even imagine how much weight I would have already lost if I quit eating out. But I'm not willing to do that. I get to spend time with my grandmother on our shopping days, and we eat lunch out. I spend at least one night a week out with my husband. We eat out. We have modified WHAT we get, just not the experience. Good luck to you!
  • sd_dilligaf
    sd_dilligaf Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Your issue is really really hard to solve. The answer is simple (Stop eating/drinking the stuff you are addicted to) but the execution is not easy.

I recommend you find some of the books on sugar addiction (e.g., Sugar Blues). I believe they say it takes 20-30 days to shake the cravings. I woiuld drink club soda to fool my mouth into thinking I was drinking soda - even got the satisfying burp!

Keep coming here and let people know you are craving and they will be supportive. Don't give up!
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    When it comes to soda, I personally believe in the cold turkey approach. The only way I broke my Diet Coke addiction was to completely abstain, and now I don't ever crave it anymore. I HAAATED drinking water, and would only do so if it was super ice cold and there were no flavoured alternatives and I was absolutely dying of thirst. But I forced myself to get used to it.

I still have to have my tea with sugar, though. Stevia and splenda just ruin the taste. I try to limit how many mugs I drink though.
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I don't cut anything out entirely (except for burgers this year). So long as you fit it in your calories or use its consumption as a reason to go do some exercise to offset it you'll stop being so distracted by it!
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is a mountain dew ADDICT, I swear. I will occasionally have a sip of his and hand it back. He will usually ask me if I want a whole one and I just say no thanks, I just wanted one sip. That one sip takes away any cravings.

Also they sell these all natural flavored sparkling water things at thee grocerey store. They're like little one liter bottles of flavored sparkling water, zero calories and zero sugar and that satisfies my soda cravings (sorry just noticed the no artificial sweetenere part and IDK if these have any artificial sweetener or not) Honestly though after awhile of not drinking soda the cravings rarely happen though.
  • skinnybitchbarbie27
    skinnybitchbarbie27 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I used to drink 64oz a day. I tried to quit several times and thought I could have just a taste to get the craving to go away but that just made it worse. When I finally quit in april 2011 I said no I am not doing this to my body anymore and quit cold turkey. Now I do not miss it and when I have tried to have a sip in the past it tastes gross.

I wouldn't do it. You wouldn't allow a smoker just one drag right?
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Those urges are the worst! I try different things depending on the situation. First I always try to avoid the instant gratification - often if you wait the craving will pass. Sometimes I bribe myself - 'you can have that if you go on a 15 min walk first' or 'you can have that if you drink 2 extra glasses of water', etc. I know I do have to be careful with being able to stop at one, so if you know that that is an issue of your's you might have to try other tricks to try to avoid drinking it all together.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Whenever I want something "bad" I think about whether it would fit into my calories for the day. If not, I have to decide whether it's worth a small set-back in my weight loss to have it. Sometimes it's worth it, sometimes it's not. I never deprive myself, I just make sure to remind myself of the consequences before I make any decisions.