How do you jump start weight loss?

Options
I have been here for almost a year now...i lost the first 15 pounds easily, but now I keep gaining and losing the same 3-4 pounds and I'm getting frustrated. I log my calories, weigh my foods, exercise regulalry....ugh! I was running and lifting weights, occasionally biking, and now I'm doing Insanity. I don't want to give up, I know it takes time. I've tried changing what I eat, adding protein powders in and everything...I'm just getting mad.
My question to you is this: How can I jumpstart my weight loss and continue losing instead of this yoyo crap I have been doing?

Replies

• sweetsarahv
    sweetsarahv Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    are you overweight still? maybe you don't have anything more to lose...
  • curvykim78
    curvykim78 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    are you overweight still? maybe you don't have anything more to lose...
    i have nplenty to lose still :(
  • hannahsmom62604
    Options
    Do you eat your exercise cal..... When I am trying to lose weight I do not eat my exercise...... It helps me
  • curvykim78
    Options
    Do you eat your exercise cal..... When I am trying to lose weight I do not eat my exercise...... It helps me
    I try not to eat them back, but if I'm seriously hungry I will eat some of them back, but not all.
  • kerriotto
    Options
    How many calories are you eating a day? Are you eating less than your BMR?
  • fstephanie4
    fstephanie4 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I feel you on this. I'm in the exact position. I'm experimenting with more eating, less exercise on day then switch. More water. more exercise, more weights more cardio. AHHH!!!
  • curvykim78
    Options
    How many calories are you eating a day? Are you eating less than your BMR?
    If I figured it correctly, my BMR is 1483. My calories are set at 1491 for now.
  • curvykim78
    Options
    I feel you on this. I'm in the exact position. I'm experimenting with more eating, less exercise on day then switch. More water. more exercise, more weights more cardio. AHHH!!!

I've switched exercising, more and less, eating less, eating more...change workout times and routines....ugh so frustrating!
  • kerriotto
    Options
    Thats really close to your BMR. Have you tried using your TDEE -20%?
  • sarahi2009
    sarahi2009 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Maybe you have hit a plateu, I have seen some blogs on here about how to break them. Sorry I am not help ;(
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Thats really close to your BMR. Have you tried using your TDEE -20%?

yes. this.
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Be sure not to get to hung up on the numbers on the scale! If you are doing the work your body will change in other ways, the scale will catch up at some point.

And depending on how much exercise you do it can be hard to eat them all back, but shoot for at least half of them! Your body needs them! I've seen time and time again on here where people weren't eating their exercise calories and stalled out on the weight loss.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I started out on MFP eating 1200 calories per day. I lost the first 15 of so pounds pretty quickly, but then the loss came to a screeching halt. To get it moving again (after a 3 month plateau) I INCREASED my calories. It seems counter intuitive, but it can and does work. Your body needs to be fueled properly to allow it to let go of fat.
    I'm 5'4", 36 years old, and currently weigh 131 pounds. I eat an average of 2,000 calories per day and I am still losing fat.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Try increasing your calories by 100 more a day and see if that don't help. It's possible your not eating enough.
  • nicola312
    Options
    Somebody I spoke to recently that has done a nutrition course said that you have to eat 5-6 times a day, dividing your calories between those meals so that your metabolism is constantly burning the calories, instead of storing them, I havent tried it, but maybe it is worth a try for you. Good luck, dont get demoralised xx
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Somebody I spoke to recently that has done a nutrition course said that you have to eat 5-6 times a day, dividing your calories between those meals so that your metabolism is constantly burning the calories, instead of storing them, I havent tried it, but maybe it is worth a try for you. Good luck, dont get demoralised xx

Your metabolism is always "burning" or you would not be alive. Some people need to eat many meals in a day. Some do not. There is no evidence that eating at any certain time - or times - a day help you lose any faster. It's all a matter of personal preference. The most important thing is eating at a correct calorie deficit from your TDEE.
  • laceybrobie
    laceybrobie Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I have been at a standstill for a few weeks but I started lifting ontop of my cardio.

My TDEE is 2030 and my BMR is 1646.35 I usually barely hit 1500 cals a day just depends.. I know that If I ATE MORE I WOULD WEIGH LESS but its just crazyness for me right now.

My goal this week is to up my cals daily to at least 1650. I Spin in the AM most days so thats on average an 800 calorie burn for me.
  • Meg_Shirley_86
    Meg_Shirley_86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options

This is false information. It is only a matter of personal preference. I choose to eat several small meals, but it is completely unnecessary as far as "stoking the metabolic fire". That is an old wives' tale.