question about eating and exercise

Options
I guess i'm wondering for some clarification.... Do i *have* to eat back any calories burned through exercise? I do my running/exercise at night, sometimes not finishing until 10:30 or 11:00, and eating 400+ calories right before bedtime doesn't sound like the right thing to do. I could maybe do an apple or something, but that's enough calories for another light meal. I find myself thinking "ICE CREAM" or something equally bad for me just so i can use up those extra calories by eating something small and not go into 'starvation' mode.

If my calorie limit is 1450, and i eat 1500, but then work out 450.... do i HAVE to eat the other 400?

Replies

• Superchikanthem
    Superchikanthem Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    If that is the case then you can always eat some of them back the next day. I look at the weekly calorie deficit and not just the daily. It takes 3500 calories to lose 1lb. They do have an option to look at your weekly calorie deficit.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    You're supposed to eat them back if you're following the system.

Ice cream is not "bad" for you unless you have an allergy or lactose intolerance. If it fits into your day, go for it.
    One of my favorite ways of getting in calories when necessary is to grab a jar of peanut butter, a spoon, and go to town.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options

Ice cream is not "bad" for you unless you have an allergy or lactose intolerance. If it fits into your day, go for it.
    One of my favorite ways of getting in calories when necessary is to grab a jar of peanut butter, a spoon, and go to town.
    ^This. Also, if you don't like peanut butter (because it's GROSS), Nutella or almond butter is a good replacement. Any calorie dense food will work.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Eating before bedtime is fine. If at your calorie limit you will not gain weight overnight.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

^This. Also, if you don't like peanut butter (because it's GROSS), Nutella or almond butter is a good replacement. Any calorie dense food will work.

Stop trying to find other people who don't like peanut butter. You're the only freak show around here.

NOTE TO MODS: We are friends. I'm joking. Sort of.
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Why would you have to eat them after your workout? Couldn't you just spread out the calories throughout the day if you plan on working out that night? I would say yes, you need to be eating back a least some of your calories or else you are not going to have the fuel to feed your workouts.
  • fleur_de_lis19
    fleur_de_lis19 Posts: 926 Member
    Options

Stop trying to find other people who don't like peanut butter. You're the only freak show around here.

NOTE TO MODS: We are friends. I'm joking. Sort of.

Still reporting you
  • RobinC37
    RobinC37 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I'll join the anti peanut butter side! I only use it in peanut sauces and such.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Why would you have to eat them after your workout? Couldn't you just spread out the calories throughout the day if you plan on working out that night? I would say yes, you need to be eating back a least some of your calories or else you are not going to have the fuel to feed your workouts.

Thats what I was thinking too. If you know you are working out that night and will burn X amount of calories just eat them during the day. Just don't eat them then decide you can't be bothered to go for a run after all lol
  • iamthediva
    Options

I could, but i don't always have time to work out - (Two little boys, one with special needs)
  • iamthediva
    Options
    But i'm still confused.
    in this program... am i SUPPOSED to level out to 0 calories? Eat back all my exercise? Because then my next question is, why bother to exercise at all? (i mean, besides better hear, and blah blah blah... i'm saying, why bother burning extra calories when already in a deficit?)
  • iamthediva
    Options

I could, but i don't always have time to work out - (Two little boys, one with special needs)
    somehow the rest of this got deleted. I don't always have time to work out. So if i eat 400 extra calories over the day, then i DON'T work out because my life goes crazy, i'm S.O.L. - this is why i work out at night. when i can.
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Sorry, just getting back to your question. The way that MFP sets your goals is that you are in a deficit before you ever workout. So, theoretically if you never worked out you would still lose weight. So, if you eat those extra calories and don't get a chance to workout you should still be ok. You will probably just be eating your deficit so you are not going to gain weight you will just maintain or lose more slowly. And if it only happens once in a while that you miss a workout it really isn't going to be a big deal. I will usually eat most of my calories back. I try and leave a small cushion just in case I have miscalculated my burn or amounts of food eaten. I have a HRM so that helps to get a more accurate measure of my calories burned but, I know that the MFP estimates are way off compared to my HRM for the type of workouts that I do. I think the running or walking estimates are pretty accurate though if you enter your speed correctly. I work out to be healthy and fit. You can lose weight without working out but, I feel better when I do. I also like being able to eat more, lol.