Protein shakes

Options
How often and when should you be drinking protein shakes. I usually have one after my wieght lifting nights ( every third day) but I'm thinking that maybe I should be drinking it before my cardial workouts to give me more energy.

Replies

• now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Having one after a heavy workout is great as it helps your muscles to recover. Great after weight lifting!

Otherwise, I don't think it would matter. It is tool to help you meet your protein goals daily.

If you feel having one before cardio will give you more energy try it and see. A cup of coffee will most likely help as well.
  • UticaBoy51
    UticaBoy51 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    It's for recovery and for Protein supplement. Love Bernese, I have one too.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    If you want energy before a workout, go for some carbs.
  • agggie550
    agggie550 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    What kind of protein are you taking?

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/whey.html

Bodybuilding.com has alot of great articles and videos on suppliments. Hope that helps.
  • DeniseNichole76
    DeniseNichole76 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I love them for breakfast as well as after a workout to feed those muscles.
  • ebailey710
    ebailey710 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I always have one after a workout, it started because I wanted to build muscle, and now I love the flavor and use it as a reward. Sometimes I will add a scoop to my smoothies to add a little extra flavor and protein to keep me full.
  • pixelww
    Options
    I started using the ISOPURE Vanilla Protein Powder with Almond Milk as a morning snack. I go to the gym before work and burn 500-800 calories doing cardio and sit ups. Then a bowl of oatmeal with blueberries and spoonfull of almond butter before heading to work... and by 10AM I am hungry again, the protein drink helps hold me steady until lunch.
  • mandermcbutterpants
    Options
    I have a muscle milk shake before my weight training. It has just the right amount of sugar and protein to keep your blood sugar stable so you don't crash afterward. I'm not diabetic, but my blood sugar dipped pretty low a couple of times when I just had carbohydrates beforehand. It showed me how much my body needs that stabalization before a workout.
  • andersonhvac
    Options
    I use the whey protein powder from Costco mixed with water and strawberries.
  • andersonhvac
    Options
    I use the protein powder from costco and its 300 calories per shake. I'm trying to keep my calories down but if it means I can workout longer, then I might have to sacrifice.
  • andersonhvac
    Options
    Thanks. so it wouldn't do any good before a workout like give me more energy. I actually have 2 berners. One we just got 6 months ago. They're great companions and one even likes the treadmill.....lol
  • ebailey710
    ebailey710 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Carbs are definitely what you want to go for if you're hungry before a workout. Carbs before, protein after. I wish my husband would let me get a dog but he is allergic and doesn't like animals.
  • booboo68
    booboo68 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    andersonhvac there is a Bermese therapy dog at the hospital where I work. He weights over 200lbs and I love his feet, they are these huge big cankles. He runs on the treadmill with the rehab patients. He's gorgeous!! I always try to take a walk about the time I know he's going to be coming through.