Need support to stay on diet - having hard time

Options
Love to eat and am trying to stay with it....have lost 2 pounds in two weeks, but thought I should do better. We eat out a lot and when I get to the restaurant, a salad doesnt sound good....what can I think of to keep me motivated...any advice. Jollygoodgal

Replies

• feast4thebeast
    feast4thebeast Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Have you set a long term goal and a first short term goal??
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat salad, just eat smaller portions. As soon as you get to the restaurant ask for a "to go" box and put 1/2 your meal in it for tomorrow. You don't have to over eat just because the food is there.
  • jollygoodgal
    jollygoodgal Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Two pounds a week would be great - need to lost twelve pounds altogether. Just not quite enough to keep me motivated but I need to be. Big trip coming up last of Feb.
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    If you only have twelve pounds to lose, one pound per week is spot-on. Heavier people usually lose two pounds per week, but once you get close to goal, it slows down to 1/2-pound or 1 pound per week. I think you're doing fantastic!
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    With that little to lose, you can reasonably expect about a half pound per week in loss - so 1 pound is better than average
  • Janey142
    Janey142 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    any loss is fantastic! its more important to lose steadily and keep it off than lose loads and see no change for weeks. it all balances out! Try not to eat out as much? exercise more so you can eat more?
  • feast4thebeast
    feast4thebeast Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Two pounds a week would be great - need to lost twelve pounds altogether. Just not quite enough to keep me motivated but I need to be. Big trip coming up last of Feb.

Split it into three blocks of 4 pounds. You need to tighten up on what you are eating as you have no idea when you eat out. Do you exercise?? Get a photo diary for yourself to track. If you really want it you will make it happen. Good luck
  • mallen404
    mallen404 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Don't consider it a "DIET" consider it a "LIFESTYLE CHANGE"
  • jollygoodgal
    jollygoodgal Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks this was encouraging - I had expected to do it faster, but maybe you are right - settle for a little a week and see where it gets me....Again thanks.
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Make sure you set MFP to lose one pound per week instead of two. It'll give you some more calories to play with. :)
  • dakotawitch
    dakotawitch Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    When I know I am going to go out, I will pull up the menu on line and then plug a few things into MFP to see what the nutritionals are. I basically pick what I want before I go, based on what will fit in my calories. If I know I'm going to go somewhere that has something I LOVE that is high in calories, I try to plan my daily calorie intake around it and "bank" some for later.
  • LindseyLinea
    LindseyLinea Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    A lot of restuarants have the light meals... try sticking with those. If not then try and eat a lighter lunch and work out more that day.
  • LouPsych
    LouPsych Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    When I know I am going to go out, I will pull up the menu on line and then plug a few things into MFP to see what the nutritionals are. I basically pick what I want before I go, based on what will fit in my calories. If I know I'm going to go somewhere that has something I LOVE that is high in calories, I try to plan my daily calorie intake around it and "bank" some for later.

Great idea - we do the same! Plan ahead of time. Another idea is to order an appetizer instead of an entree. And think/order what isn't necessarily on the menu - like grilled vegetables, dressing on the side, etc. Like I've said before, you're paying for the food so ask if they will prepare it the way you'd like to eat it.

Before I was dieting, I was royally pi**ed at McD's for putting calories on the drive-thru menu. Now I get even more upset when restaurants (like Cheddar's) don't have their nutritional information posted online!