one a day vitamins

Options
Do you take one a day vitamins? I've heard mixed reviews about them.

Replies

• jennmodugno
    jennmodugno Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    The way my doctor explained it to me, people in general don't usually NEED vitamins, unless they're eating extremely unhealthy foods. Most food is fortified with what we need, and it's even possible that taking a multivitamin and eating healthy together can be harmful. Our bodies simply don't NEED that many vitamins. If possible, I'd ask your doctor to do a workup of your blood during your yearly physical and see if you're lacking something, then take only that vitamin.
  • molliepops1962
    Options
    I do take one, with my allergies I don't get enough vitamins if I don't, also take vitamin k as I don't clot when I cut myself and bruise extremely easily due to a blood disorder. Also take iron as I am usually anaemic !

If I were an animal I would have been put to sleep years ago :laugh:
  • HaleyxErin
    HaleyxErin Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I am not a doctor, dietition, or weightloss guru but I have seen many documentaries and the general consensus is that there is no reason not to take them doctors like to keep their paticients and the only way to do that is if the pacient isn't well. Vitamins make you well, they can cure just about anything and there isn't really such a thing as too much.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Vitamins make you well, they can cure just about anything and there isn't really such a thing as too much.

I urge you to google "vitamin toxicity"
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    If you are on a prescription medication, ask your doctor first. Sometimes multivitamins can interfere with absorption of medications.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    A few years ago I took One A Day with green tea (it used to be called "One A Day Metabolism" or something like that), and they made me super nauseous, even when I took them with food. I called Bayer (the manufacturer) because I was kind of miffed that I now had this useless $15 bottle of vitamins. They said that some people just get stomach irritation from their vitamins (though I've since heard that about other brands, too), and they sent me a bunch of coupons to sort of make up for the loss of money. I would have preferred the refund, but I understand they can't control my stomach's reaction.

I started taking kids' vitamins (generic version of Flintstones). I think you get to take 2 a day as an adult. I never had a problem with those. I later started taking gummy adult vitamins instead (Target has a good generic), which were good, but more expensive :indifferent:
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I take a multi vitamin about 1-2 times a week on my feed days.
  • Rhozelyn
    Rhozelyn Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with multivits with Iron especially for women because we are vulnerable and Vitamin D in winter months because we don't get enough sunshine.
  • snowgrrl83
    snowgrrl83 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Vitamins can't be BAD for you, unless taken in excess. If you're on a weight loss plan (eating deficit calories), you may over time develop some vitamins/mineral deficientie...this is where vitamins help. If you're not trying to lose weight and you're just maintaining and you eat reasonable balanced, you can probably go without them - but again, there probably isn't harm in taking them. It could help if you're missing calcium or have some iron deficientie (anemic).
  • itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I do, only because I'm anemic (so I need the extra iron) and B vitamins are decent for my sleep issues.
  • ashleyShades
    ashleyShades Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the information
  • jillsjourney
    jillsjourney Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    As a women that is post menopause, I take a daily vitamin D and calcium vitamin. My Doc said I need it since I can not do HRT and I was 31 when I had a hysterectomy.
  • ashleyShades
    Options
    I've also heard that taking half of a vitamin with breakfast and half with dinner will help your body absorb the nutrients better
  • cleanjerksnatch
    Options
    I take vitamins everyday and I have done so my whole life. No vitamin toxicity here because I don't overdose.
  • cleanjerksnatch
    Options
    As a women that is post menopause, I take a daily vitamin D and calcium vitamin. My Doc said I need it since I can not do HRT and I was 31 when I had a hysterectomy.

Vitamin K-2 is amazing, look up its use for osteoporosis with calcium
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    I just stopped taking mine. I never used to get all of my nutrition, but I eat pretty nutritiously these days and at this point just have really expensive pee. I will however continue to take my vitamin D as I'm always deficient somehow.
  • jillsjourney
    jillsjourney Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    [

Thank you, I will!
  • cleanjerksnatch
    Options
    [

Thank you, I will!

You're welcome any time.
  • ashleyShades
    Options
    =D Thank you
  • HaleyxErin
    HaleyxErin Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    well I just meant that the average person isn't eating a bottle of vitamins a day so just taking a multivitamin isn't going to hurt you.