Stretches before and after running?

Options
What type of stretches should I be doing before and after I run?

I just started running this week. I am taking it very slow because I have a weak knee. I am walking 4 minutes, running 1 minute, for 30 minutes for now. My calves cramp up and hurt SO bad that I can barely finish the 30 minutes.

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    If you must stretch before (I don't and you certainly don't need to - I start with 3 minutes of walking, getting progressively faster), they should be dynamic stretches. Nothing that is static like we were traditionally told to do. I rarely do stretches afterwards either (again, more walking for my cool down), but if I do, it's calf stretches. I also have some hip stretches I'll do if my hips start bothering me. Save the static stretching for after your run.
  • feast4thebeast
    feast4thebeast Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I would do a light jog first to warm up muscles then stretch. Your muscles are like elastic bands and stretch better warm. To describe stretches would be difficult do a you tube search.
  • IamBlackMamba
    Options
    Agree here. Ran track throughout school and cannot instill the importance of stretching/warming up before and after running!

I'd Google or Youtube some basics.
  • starlite_79
    starlite_79 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    i also do not stretch before my runs. i do a warm up walk of 5 - 10 mins, then run, then cool down walk of usually 10 mins, followed by stretching. i stretch quads, calves, hamstrings, and also do some knee-strengthening exercises. i really should incorporate some IT band stretches as well, but that is a work in progress.
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Agree here. Ran track throughout school and cannot instill the importance of stretching/warming up before and after running!

I'd Google or Youtube some basics.

^^^ Super advice!
  • lmr9
    lmr9 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others about stretching before a run - better to walk or easy jog to warm up.

However, I do stretch quite a bit after runs. I think it feels great and is good for you to stretch when you have just finished a good, sweaty workout. I do all kinds: straight legs and touch your toes; calf stretches; arms and chest; runner's lunge; hamstrings; hips...
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I am incorporating warm up before my runs, but I generally save my stretches for after. And, I have a set of dr "ordered" stretches I try to do twice a day independent of any running. But, definitely do the stretches! My legs are always their worst when I've neglected stretching for a time.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    5-10 min walk warmup and cooldown works great for me. Longer time if the run is longer.

During that time stop and do some of the stretches for 10-20 seconds. I actually do the achilles stretch while walking, because mine gets tight very easy.

Don't need extreme either, just gentle briefly. It's been found in studies in last few years that deeper and longer stretches don't help and can actually cause problems for actual sport related use, where having things too lose isn't beneficial for efficiency.
  • julesassid
    Options
    I get very tight calves too, and I have to stretch them before I begin. Try just doing the standard calf stretch, leaning against the wall with your foot flat behind you, put it back far enough that you feel the stretch. Then, keeping the same position, bend your knee and you will fee the stretch lower in your calves, just above your ankle. I do this on both sides for 20-30 seconds, 2x. After that I walk at a good clip for 5 minutes, then start running.
    People will say not to, but if your calves are as tight as mine, you will definitely benefit from this. Good luck!
  • Deedsie
    Deedsie Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I start with a warm-up run/walk, I might do a few of the quad stretches (pull your toe with your hand towards your butt) or calf stretches (toe on the curb, heel on the road) after I'm warm. Then after, I walk for a while to cool down followed by some pulsing lunges, squats and toe touches. Don't sit/ lay down/stop moving right after or everything shortens and tightens up. I also do Yoga 1-2x per week after running which provides a good stretch but can be overwhelming if you are just starting out.

ETA: If you have specific tight areas, you might consider foam rolling. I do so occasionally with great results.
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    Warm up thoroughly 5 -10 minutes of walking / light jogging

The last part of this warm up include some dynamic stretching to loosen your body up.
    High knees - as you walk try to bring your knees up high. i usually hold my hand out just above my waist and hit my knee to my hand
    High kicks- keep your leg straight and hold your hand out. Kick up to your hand without bending your knee.
    Butt kicks - kick your butt with your heal
    Trunk rotations - keeping your lower body facing forward rotate your upper body back and forth
    hugs and arm circles - swing your arms around to loosen them up

Static stretching has been shown to have no benefit before exercise when it comes to preventing injury. It may even cause a temporary shorting of the muscles.

After your workout or some other time of the day
    Stretch your quads (you probably already know how)
    hamstring (The best way to do this is in a doorway with one leg straight and one leg up on the wall)
    calves (best stretch here is standing with your toes on a stair and dropping your weight to your heals)
    glutes
    hip flexors
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    for me, i always make sure to do an IT band stretch because i've pulled it before. i do the cassey ho general stretching routine, it's about 13 minutes on YouTube. great music too
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I never stretch before a run but always stretch after. Stretching weakens muscles:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/02/sports/playmagazine/112pewarm.html?_r=2&oref=slogin&

In yoga, a good experienced teacher will have you do a strength exercise on a group of muscles before stretching them, not after. The same holds for running and weightlifting. Stretching beforehand is counterproductive. I would suggest just warming up with a walk or a slow run if you are worried about injury.
  • mallen404
    mallen404 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    What type of stretches should I be doing before and after I run?

I just started running this week. I am taking it very slow because I have a weak knee. I am walking 4 minutes, running 1 minute, for 30 minutes for now. My calves cramp up and hurt SO bad that I can barely finish the 30 minutes.

Do a 10 minute warm up.. then stretch your legs out... then do your cardio! then stretch after and it will prevent cramping.

Look up calf, quad stretches and don't forget the back upper part of your leg ( I forget what the name of it is right now)

when your calf cramps up, stretch it out and massage it. Make sure you are walking properly ( heel to toe) it sounds simple but when your calf is cramped when you limp it actually makes it worse. ( has happened to me before)
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Warm-up before. If you feel the need to stretch, do it after. Static stretches only.
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Since I have had injuries, I did start incorporating stretching before and after. Before, I do a brisk 5-10 minute walk. If you have smart phone there is a great app called Yoga for Runners. Has a pre and post run yoga/stretch routine, probably about 15 minutes each.
  • josiereside
    Options
    and invest in a foam roller for those IT bands!!! :devil:
  • ryblueeyes
    ryblueeyes Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I just downloaded an app called "Stretch & Run," but haven't tried it yet. It may be worth checking out!
  • josiereside
    Options
    Bottom line, you have to do what is best for your body... not one thing works for all..... I know I run better and recover better after a run with my routine...